The Open Carry Argument - Page 40
Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 612

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

  1. #391
    BTT for a good post I wish was a sticky.

  2.   
  3. Question Open Carry Nevada

    Quote Originally Posted by Comp_sH00tEr24 View Post
    I live in Indiana where OC is allowed, however Ive only ever seen one person practicing it outside of a gun store. The reason I only carry concealed is I live right next to a college campus (pretty much on the campus) Although it is a relatively conservative school I am not going to take the chance of walking into Panera with my g23 visible to the masses of sorority girls and liberal professors who are completely ignorant of the law. I think the most likely thing that will happen is someone will scream "HE'S GOT A GUN!!!" and everyone will run out of the place and 15 minutes later Ill be on my stomach with 4 officers around me guns drawn screaming orders at me. I am just not willing to take that chance until I live in a more "gun-friendly" neighborhood.
    I agree with open carry, BUT in this town (Fallon, Nevada). I was told by the manager of the Wal-Mart store, CC would be tolerated, but, Open Carry will not be allowed in HIS STORE. I have asked the local law enforcement dept. both city and county. I was told Nevada is a OPEN CARRY state. But was it worth the hassel that you will experience if " SOMEONE SEES YOU ? they must ( law enforcement ) responde to all calls " person with a gun ". I still think that OC is the way to go. Like they say "Hyenas avoid the Lion.

  4. #393
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee Florida
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by threecentermass View Post
    I agree with open carry, BUT in this town (Fallon, Nevada). I was told by the manager of the Wal-Mart store, CC would be tolerated, but, Open Carry will not be allowed in HIS STORE. I have asked the local law enforcement dept. both city and county. I was told Nevada is a OPEN CARRY state. But was it worth the hassel that you will experience if " SOMEONE SEES YOU ? they must ( law enforcement ) responde to all calls " person with a gun ". I still think that OC is the way to go. Like they say "Hyenas avoid the Lion.
    A quick call to Walmart Corporate will put your local walmart manager on the correct path. Walmart corporate policy is to allow what is legal in the state the store operates in.

    One problem is simply believing what you're told instead of researching and educating yourself.

    "It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

  5. If you want to OC as a deterrent but you can't legally, then why not conceal carry but in a way that is obvious that you are packing? Like wearing a waistpack with a big bright NRA patch on the front. You don't even have to put your gun in there. You can wear it concealed somewhere else on your body. I had read that some guys, they take the patch off of their 5.11 bags because they want to CC without anyone knowing and the bag is a give-away. Well, this is just the opposite - where you want people to know.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    A quick call to Walmart Corporate will put your local walmart manager on the correct path. Walmart corporate policy is to allow what is legal in the state the store operates in.

    One problem is simply believing what you're told instead of researching and educating yourself.
    "Correct path" usually equals a telephonic or personal apology from the manager in question and probably a gift card of some sort - at least according to some reports from our local AL gun board.

    Good luck!

  7. #396
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    344
    A lot of managers make up rules to fit their tiny world, knowing that most people will just accept their "authority" figure and assume they know what they are talking about. "We" as a group need to present a united front, and let these types know that we will not just accept stuff they make up to fit their needs/beliefs.

  8. #397
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    A lot of managers make up rules to fit their tiny world, knowing that most people will just accept their "authority" figure and assume they know what they are talking about. "We" as a group need to present a united front, and let these types know that we will not just accept stuff they make up to fit their needs/beliefs.
    Exactly! Something about walmart makes the management assume they are master and commander of the world.

  9. #398
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    344
    I was in a souvenir shop the other day, and the employee said I couldn't carry since I wasn't a LEO. He made up a local city ordinance prohibiting firearms in the city as his authority. After politely informing him that would be a violation of state law I left at his request. Even though I new he was lying/making stuff up I researched the city ordinances (there was no such ordinance) to verify my stand. I informed the owner who apologized, and promised to speak to all the employees to correct the situation. All done with simple knowledge, and no need to scream about my constitutional rights. Polite conversation, backed by facts goes along way.

  10. #399
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    He made up a local city ordinance prohibiting firearms in the city as his authority.
    That's where it is obvious he was wrong. Washington has full preemption so even if there was a city ordinance it would be invalid. You didn't need to research anything.

  11. #400
    OP essay was well written and reasonably thought out. My observation is that open carry is not a panacea for the myriad armed self-defense scenarios possible. It has potential advantages and disadvantages, just as concealed carry does. I have no objection to anyone's choice for open carry or concealed carry. My only other comment (which is obvious, has been stated before, but in my mind bears repeating) is that if the bad guy already has a gun in his hand (or a knife in his hand inside Tueller drill distances), he's got the drop on you, you're not going to "win the draw" on him, whether open carry or concealed.

Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast