The Open Carry Argument - Page 42
Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 612

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

  1. #411
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    This will not be popular for people who believe in open carry, but I think the only persons who should be open carrying a firearm are law enforcement, and licensed security officers. When anyone else carries a firearm openly I strongly suspect there has been no background check done on them. Carrying a firearm openly, outside of being in uniform or displaying a badge, scares people. I see no reason to carry a firearm openly unless you fall into one of the groups I mentioned. If you want to carry a firearm, get a concealed carry permit. When I see people in plain clothes, carrying a firearm openly, I have no idea who they are. Neither does the public, which explains why it scares them. I would prefer if a citizen wants to carry a firearm, that they get a concealed carry permit.
    I sure am glad that your not the man in charge of who carries what and how its carried!
    I open carry daily here in Vermont. No Government permission slip required to carry openly OR concealed (that must scare the crap out of you!).
    Public fear of an openly carried firearm does not trump my 2nd Amendment Right .... Period.
    My advice to you would be to seek some professional help to over come your fear of publicly displayed firearms.



    Sent from behind enemy lines.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I am of the opinion that the post above is a perfect example of how LE attempts to passively intimidate folks so they don't consider openly carrying.
    I believe it also shows the trend the government is moving towards "guilty until proven innocent." What the whole entire permit system does is require me to prove my innocence to the government, at my own expense, with no reasonable suspicion that I have committed a crime, in order to lawfully engage in an activity that the US Constitution SPECIFICALLY states is my right to engage in.

    It wasn't too long ago that there were many requirements that had to be met in order to exercise the right to vote. The last requirement to fall was the poll tax which required people to pay a fee in order to vote. Those requirements were struck down as unconstitutional because they were meant to limit the ability to vote to only those the government desired to vote. I don't understand how the right to bear arms can be any different. How can the government limit the ability to bear arms effectively to only the elite few who can afford to pay for the government's permission? Is there ANYTHING that is Constitutional about that?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  4. #413
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    I sure am glad that your not the man in charge of who carries what and how its carried!
    I open carry daily here in Vermont. No Government permission slip required to carry openly OR concealed (that must scare the crap out of you!).
    Public fear of an openly carried firearm does not trump my 2nd Amendment Right .... Period.
    My advice to you would be to seek some professional help to over come your fear of publicly displayed firearms.



    Sent from behind enemy lines.
    Wow, I never stop thanking my Mom and Dad for moving to Arizona. This just is a no issue here. Cocked and Locked in not even noticed. PG.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

  5. #414
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    344
    The CC Mantra:
    I support the Second Amendment, for I am the Second Coming of THE Second Amendment...........but only if you do it my way. For my way was written about in the book of Genesis, go forth and conceal with magazines no larger than 7 rounds. So it was written, so it be so for I am your element of surprise savior.

    BTW, where are all these terrified people. When I go shopping I don't hear people screaming. I have heard an old lady in a motor scooter say: "nice grips!"

  6. #415
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,086
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    This will not be popular for people who believe in open carry, but I think the only persons who should be open carrying a firearm are law enforcement, and licensed security officers. When anyone else carries a firearm openly I strongly suspect there has been no background check done on them. Carrying a firearm openly, outside of being in uniform or displaying a badge, scares people. I see no reason to carry a firearm openly unless you fall into one of the groups I mentioned. If you want to carry a firearm, get a concealed carry permit. When I see people in plain clothes, carrying a firearm openly, I have no idea who they are. Neither does the public, which explains why it scares them. I would prefer if a citizen wants to carry a firearm, that they get a concealed carry permit.
    Right. Because not knowing someone is carrying a gun magically makes you safer than knowing someone is carrying a gun.

    Do you also hide under the covers when a storm comes?

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

  7. #416
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,086
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    The CC Mantra:
    I support the Second Amendment, for I am the Second Coming of THE Second Amendment...........but only if you do it my way. For my way was written about in the book of Genesis, go forth and conceal with magazines no larger than 7 rounds. So it was written, so it be so for I am your element of surprise savior.

    BTW, where are all these terrified people. When I go shopping I don't hear people screaming. I have heard an old lady in a motor scooter say: "nice grips!"
    We're not all like that. Some of us choose to cc and not only don't pass judgement on those who OC, but fully support them.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

  8. #417
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I believe it also shows the trend the government is moving towards "guilty until proven innocent." What the whole entire permit system does is require me to prove my innocence to the government, at my own expense, with no reasonable suspicion that I have committed a crime, in order to lawfully engage in an activity that the US Constitution SPECIFICALLY states is my right to engage in.

    It wasn't too long ago that there were many requirements that had to be met in order to exercise the right to vote. The last requirement to fall was the poll tax which required people to pay a fee in order to vote. Those requirements were struck down as unconstitutional because they were meant to limit the ability to vote to only those the government desired to vote. I don't understand how the right to bear arms can be any different. How can the government limit the ability to bear arms effectively to only the elite few who can afford to pay for the government's permission? Is there ANYTHING that is Constitutional about that?
    That idea goes well beyond permits...how about full auto? SBR? Suppressors?

    We are all free...but we all wear chains.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    This will not be popular for people who believe in open carry, but I think the only persons who should be open carrying a firearm are law enforcement, and licensed security officers. When anyone else carries a firearm openly I strongly suspect there has been no background check done on them. Carrying a firearm openly, outside of being in uniform or displaying a badge, scares people. I see no reason to carry a firearm openly unless you fall into one of the groups I mentioned. If you want to carry a firearm, get a concealed carry permit. When I see people in plain clothes, carrying a firearm openly, I have no idea who they are. Neither does the public, which explains why it scares them. I would prefer if a citizen wants to carry a firearm, that they get a concealed carry permit.

    What you "think" doesn't matter. Sadly, you aren't "thinking" at all. If you actually took the time to actually think, to have an actual thought, your opinion would be radically different. You see this is America. This is not North Korea, or China, or Canada, or Mexico. This is the United States of America. This is a country that was founded on the idea of personal FREEDOM! I know busybody control freaks like yourself hate the idea that others would be free to live their lives as they wish and not as you want them to live.

    So why do you (not)think that people should not be free to carry openly? Because some pansy might get all scared of the mere sight of a big bad gun. Too Bad!!!!! It is not my problem that other people have an irrational fear of an inanimate object. MY God given and constitutionally protected rights do not disappear because someone else gets all scared.

    The fact that you don't know who someone is when they carry doesn't matter at all. It's none of your business unless they do something to harm someone else. That what freedom is all about. You may have heard the term, "Home of the FREE, and land of the brave. I'm sorry you can't handle basic freedom. Maybe you should move to a country founded on the idea of communism. FREEDOM is for grownups! Maybe you should spend some serious time actually thinking what the word and concept FREEDOM actually means.

    BTW, open carry is legal in Arizona and has been for a LONG time. People do it around this great state all the time and no one gets scared unless they are from another state. I OC'ed for several years and only had a few people notice. Only one guy was surprised. We were at a gas station fueling up. He wasn't scared, just surprised. He was from NY and when he saw my gun, he asked if carrying was legal here. I told him that it was. He responded that I would be in jail for doing it in NY. I told him that was one of the big reasons I don't live in NY. He smiled, got in his car and drove away(educated).

  10. #419
    Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    ...Carrying a firearm openly, outside of being in uniform or displaying a badge, scares people. ...explains why it scares them.
    I won't repeat the excellent points raised by the others that destroy your argument.

    I wrote the essay way back in 2009, having carried openly for a couple years already. In the six years or so that I have been carrying a handgun openly, so let's say a thousand exits from my home or car with an exposed firearm, I have yet to see anyone scared by it. I've had cops who were angry about it, a woman who didn't appreciate it, and another who wanted to debate it, but never have I seen anyone demonstrate fear. Like others have mentioned, the vast majority of interactions with other citizens has been supportive or curiosity and the rest were indifferent.

    Thus your argument is invalid.

  11. #420
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,682
    Something I've said numerous times is that both OC and CC have their advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately, it should be up to the person carrying, and that person only, to determined what is best for them. Just because I've decided that concealed is what works best for me (after careful consideration of its pros and cons) doesn't mean that it must be what is best for everyone.

    And as for the argument that open carry scares people, so what? Rottweilers, Dobermans, and pit bulls scare me, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to own them. Heights also scare me, but that doesn't mean we should demolish tall buildings, does it?

    Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast