The Open Carry Argument - Page 48
Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

For me, open carrying is someone that should be done to help 'spread the word' about the acceptability of using guns for defense and showing that those who do so are not bad people. More a PR thing than a deterrent thing. (I'm 6'4" and 220lbs so deterrent is something I've never needed).

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    I guess the difference is I educated myself on the laws by looking them up myself instead of going by what everyone else says. It provided me the confidence to OC without concern for the legality of it. It also provided me the confidence to stand up to a LEO who tried to criminalize my OC once.

As for what other people think, I really don't care. I lost respect for the opinion of the public at large a long time ago, you know, back in school. The way I looked at it from the start was if they are scared, let them be, it's not my problem. If they can't reason it out by realizing that a criminal doesn't stand patiently in line with his sidearm in full view, then I guess they'll figure it out once I walk out the door and no one got shot.

Some say, "Oh we should be concerned, because if enough of them are scared then it'll ruin it for the rest of us." Let me be the first to say that's bull, 90% of the people out there are too concerned about the next episode of their favorite TV show or what they're doing that weekend to care about phoning legislators or trying to start bills to outlaw something that has been a part of my particular state's constitution and heritage far longer than anyone who's reading this has been alive. Good luck with that.

My point of the original post was that it is your right and if you act scared to exercise it, if you allow public opinion to deter you, then you leave it open to be taken away. If you are timid about OCing, then you will probably be timid about using it when the time comes and that will cost you your life.
    My sentiments exactly. Most people could care less about guns than they do about their favorite TV show and having a full stomach(Unfortunately I have family members who fall in to this category) and only start crying and bitching about a perceived slight by police officers when it happens to them. As I approach middle age(46) I don't really care what the "public" thinks or cares about me openly carrying my weapons; It is a Constitutional right given by God and only he can revoke it.

4. Bump to the top...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Here's an article that appears to have a few 'borrowed' lines.....

The Pro Liberty Choice: Dispelling The Myths Of Open Carry | The Daily Caller

6. The dumbest comment to the article:

The one issue not addressed here is that open carry provides camouflage for "bad guys" or terrorists. If "goods guys" can open carry, so can "bad guys." So-called "bad guys" no longer need to fear questioning by police as the survey a firing position. If the attack is by muliple terrorists they can openly meet, plan their attack, and disperse to set up cross firing positions.
    What a moron.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Maybe the question here should be, why do you prefer to open carry as oppose to concealed carry? Is it because you can't qualify for a CC permit, your state or local does not have a lawful CC permit, or you can't afford to get a CC permit? I often wonder why a person choses to open carry as opposed to concealed? Is it a cost thing or what? I live in a state were both are legal, so I wonder why people do what thy do? Your answer is.........?

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Maybe the question here should be, why do you prefer to open carry as oppose to concealed carry? Is it because you can't qualify for a CC permit, your state or local does not have a lawful CC permit, or you can't afford to get a CC permit? I often wonder why a person choses to open carry as opposed to concealed? Is it a cost thing or what? I live in a state were both are legal, so I wonder why people do what thy do? Your answer is.........?

I open carry because:

1 You will not be targeted first, if at all. (added since this seems to be a primary argument against, and this argument has no evidence to back it up)
    2 Its a faster draw.
    3 Its more comfortable.
    4 It deters a crime before it happens.
    5 It shows the public firearms are not evil.
    6 It shows the public good people carry firearms.
    7 Its my right as a living soul, and the 2A says what the government can not do, not what I can do.
    8 I get the opportunity to educate more people than a cc.
    9 I can buy pants that fit me. No need to dress around the gun.
    10 I don't worry about printing.
    11 I can always conceal it if I need to.

I had a permit, I burned it. I could get another one, but I don't lick the boots of the state.

I can afford it, but I will not pay to give a Right away.

Why not ask you the same line of questioning...

Maybe the question here should be, why do you prefer to conceal carry as oppose to open carry? Is it because you want to get permission, your state or local does not have lawful OC, or you like to pay the state to exercise a Right? I often wonder why a person choses to conceal carry as opposed to open? Is it an irrational fear thing? I live in a state were both are legal, so I wonder why people do what they do? Your answer is.........?

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Maybe the question here should be, why do you prefer to open carry as oppose to concealed carry?
    Maybe the question here should be, why are you asking the same question that has been asked and answered dozens of times before? But, oh well, here it is again......

I have a Washington State Concealed Pistol License, so qualifying and paying the government tax to exercise a right has nothing to do with it.

Here they are, in order of priority to me.

1. Less chance of being attacked by a criminal. Where I live visible deterrence works. That's why armored car companies drive plainly marked vehicles with uniformed personnel carrying the money. If secrecy is so much better than why don't they drive unmarked armored vans with plain clothes employees carrying firearms concealed and the money is disguised in gym bags, backpacks or other unmarked sacks? There are only 2 or 3, at most, examples of open carriers being attacked per year - and very few of those can be proven that the visible gun was the objective of the attack.

2. Easier and faster access to the gun should it be needed. And, again, there are almost no examples of guns being grabbed from Joe Citizen open carrying who isn't also wearing a law enforcement or security guard uniform.

3. Present a positive image to the general public. 99% of what the public sees about people carrying guns comes from the media and movies and that is very seldom positive. They almost never get to see a responsible father carrying a gun for protection of himself and family during normal activities of everyday life.

4. It's just easier. With my CPL and open carry I just don't have to be concerned about keeping the gun visible or concealed. I don't have to dress around the gun, it goes on my belt as easily as my cell phone goes in my pocket.

5. I like the attention. I enjoy it when someone gives me a thumbs up or a thank you for carrying or someone comes up and asks about gun laws. And I also like it when the concealed carry only snobs just can't resist telling me that they have a concealed license and carry their gun concealed and so should I - especially if my daughter hears it because she won't hesitate to reply, "He's got no reason to hide his gun, he's not a criminal." or when I reply, "So, exactly what would you do if I pulled my gun right now, pointed it at your head and told you I was going to take your gun from you? After all, you just told me you have one."

6. The advantages just far outweigh the negatives which are really nothing more than the chance of some anti-gun manager asking me to leave their business, which has happened to me once in almost 15 years of open carrying. And once a couple of police officers asked me to conceal my gun when I was in a shopping mall with a very poorly posted anti-gun policy.

So, maybe the real question is, why wouldn't I take advantage of the advantages of open carry when they so far outweigh the negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Here is something I wrote a while back and I usually post it when someone starts talking about that wonderful magical mystical concealed carry tactical element of surprise baloney..... but it also is a very good reason to open carry.

---------
    About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

Now... about an OC'er being "targeted" or "shot first" by the bad guys...

OC has been practiced for DECADES in Arizona (just one State out of all the States where open carry is/has been done)... yet the incidents where an OC'er was "targeted" or "shot first" are so rare it is difficult to find any reputable incidents that can be backed up with cites and/or links to put any validity to those claims. If there were any truth to those claims shouldn't it be easy to find actual incidents especially considering there are DECADES!! of open carry to choose from?
    -------------

For me personally... I like open carry because it is a political statement that I have rights. That political statement also causes curious folks to ask me about the legality of carrying openly and I get got educate them that in Michigan open carry is legal without any need to get a permit. And I get to explain that carrying without a permit is the real right to bear arms.... and THAT gets the attention of many folks. And I am proud to do my very small bit to further the actual right to bear arms.

Oh yeah... I can access my openly carried sidearm much faster than I can get to any method of concealed carry gun.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others.

In a state that allows both I prefer concealed. Most people don't carry in my state, even though it is legal. Legal but not welcome, by most citizens or police. In the capital city you can only carry if you have a CC permit no open carry allowed. A lot of people don't think so, but it is easy to get a CC permit if you have a clean record. I had a guy come to a yard sale once carrying open. I knew he had a gun, but he had no idea I had one too. Talked to him a little, and could tell right off he had an attitude. Noticed he was by himself, figures, nobody wants to be with a guy with an attitude. He seemed to look down his nose at everyone present. Glad he left, even with out buying anything. What a "****".

Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast