The Open Carry Argument - Page 5
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    The Open Carry Argument

It Will Get Stolen:
    Another common criticism of open carry is that the firearm itself will be the target of theft, prompting a criminal to attack simply to get the gun from you.
    Same answer as my answer regarding First One To Be Shot.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

The Open Carry Argument

It Scares People:
    One other statement against open carry I hear is that it damages public perception of firearms owners, or that by carrying openly we are not being good ambassadors to the public.
    Here I completely disagree with those critical of open carry. The argument is akin to saying that someone should sit at the back of the bus because all the "good people" don't wanna see you and that you should "know your place, boy".
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

The Open Carry Argument

Iím Not Comfortable Carrying Openly:
    This is really the only reasonable argument against open carry for an individual.
    Washington state is an open carry state, sorta, but I'm not comfortable with it in most circumstances. If Washington were more of a "gold star" open carry state, then I'd carry openly at times, but carry concealed probably most of the time. I see times when open carry makes more sense, but most of the time I think concealed carry makes more sense.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

I carry a gun not to make a "statement", not to impress someone, not to try and intimidate someone, not because I am on some kind of power trip. I carry for one reason and that is that it levels the playing field. It gives me a better chance of protecting myself and my loved ones. I carry my weapon concealed because it is the law of my state. If open carry is passed in Texas then I for one will carry concealed most of the time anyway. With practice your lose very little time in drawing your weapon but gain great tactical advantage. I doubt very much that most killers intent on doing damage give up just because they see someone with a gun on their hip. Most active shooters just like the Islamic terrorist are not afraid of being killed. They begin their killing spree with the intent on dieing. They have one thing on their mind and that is to kill as many people as they can. Someone with a gun on is not going to change their mind but rather will tell them, "Shoot me first so that I can not stop you". Another thing if you oc rather than cc and fail to chamber a round in your gun then you have completely defeated your whole idea of open carrying to be "faster".
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Wow I thought I was long winded... Good piece of writing! I live in MA and wish all the time it was the norm here. By the letter of the law it's not illegal, but the way the Class A license description is written here it states carry concealed in a public way. The fact that about 12.5% of the population here are gun owners does not help. Open carry will get attention. Not always good attention so I was told by LEO's that I know, keeping it out of site is the best practice. I don't agree with that, but I do try to be reasonable and decide how and when as it is my choice.

I agree with some parts and have some concerns with others with regards to the post as I'm sure many who have read it do. I agree with the fact that the issue will continue to get attention and the American gun debate will go on.

I exercise my right and speak about it openly when any discussion of politics occurs. I get mixed reactions and I get some positive reactions from people that I didn't expect to agree with me with regard to the right to carry arms. My stance on the subject is one of choice. It should be a choice for all, like the type of weapon, caliber, holster and position of the holster it's an individual choice as is the right itself. It's not for all. For the ones who choose to do it, open carry should not be a reason for harassment by other citizens or LEO. We who read this post and are members of the site “get it” the rest of the people who live here in the US have to come to grips with it and “get it”. Maybe if more people do the open carry thing, the more normal it will become.
    Great post… Thanks.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    They begin their killing spree with the intent on dieing. They have one thing on their mind and that is to kill as many people as they can. Someone with a gun on is not going to change their mind but rather will tell them, "Shoot me first so that I can not stop you".
    I long for the Utopia where everyone is OCing. That would make me no more of a target than anyone else. How polite a society we would be. And on the off chance that some psycho would attempt a mass-murder, it would turn out to be not very mass.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    I long for the Utopia where everyone is OCing. That would make me no more of a target than anyone else. How polite a society we would be. And on the off chance that some psycho would attempt a mass-murder, it would turn out to be not very mass.
    That would be great if it could be like that. Unfortunately with all the liberals in office it is not likely to happen anytime soon if ever in this country. At least not until all patriots stand up and run the traitors that have infiltrated our government out of the country.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Bear in mind that in the beginning I was harassed, arrested and then 'unarrested', threatened with gun confiscation, belittled, lectured, and detained in handcuffs for open carry. Today, I can walk down the street with no worries about police encounters. If you do nothing, then nothing will change.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    ... At least not until all patriots stand up...
    Right, one OCer at a time.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    Bear in mind that in the beginning I was harassed, arrested and then 'unarrested', threatened with gun confiscation, belittled, lectured, and detained in handcuffs for open carry. Today, I can walk down the street with no worries about police encounters. If you do nothing, then nothing will change.
    Yep. The exact same is true in Oak Harbor, WA.

Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast