The Open Carry Argument - Page 50
Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Carry how you like. Carry both ways no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do you happen to notice how the armed store owners are carrying their firearms?

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app
    Yes I have! If I owned a business I would do whatever I could to protect it, which would be my families livelihood.

My point was should anyone OC and walk down a street. Could you be targeted because the race industry and cop haters may think you are a cop! I am not saying don't OC. I am merely asking if it would be a good idea given all the crap that is going on. There are some, on the streets, who seem to be LOOKING for an excuse to start some crap! OC could be almost like smoking while filling up your car. I have seen many do it and nothing happens but all it would take is once and it could be ugly. Do whatever you want. As I said before, my position is CARRY be it OC or CC every day and be aware of your surroundings AND the people!

Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    Yes I have! If I owned a business I would do whatever I could to protect it, which would be my families livelihood.

My point was should anyone OC and walk down a street. Could you be targeted because the race industry and cop haters may think you are a cop! I am not saying don't OC. I am merely asking if it would be a good idea given all the crap that is going on. There are some, on the streets, who seem to be LOOKING for an excuse to start some crap! OC could be almost like smoking while filling up your car. I have seen many do it and nothing happens but all it would take is once and it could be ugly. Do whatever you want. As I said before, my position is CARRY be it OC or CC every day and be aware of your surroundings AND the people!
    Situational awareness goes hand in hand with the responsibility of carrying a gun.
    I OC and have no worries, thanks for your concern though.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Unless there's a march that a particular OC'er supports the cause of, I can't imagine anyone getting within smelling-the-fires distance of an ongoing riot area on purpose, whether they're carrying CC, OC or not at all.

If, however, I absolutely needed to be in the area for some inexplicable reason, it would remain OC for me. My head would be on a constant swivel, that's for sure, and I would not be in my naturally relaxed and friendly state by any means, but I choose OC because I believe it has a deterrent value. I guess if I had to put that to the ultimate test, there'd be no place like a riot zone to do it, but realistically, I can't think of a reason important enough to make me voluntarily enter a riot zone anyway, so it's rather a moot point.

Surely there aren't a lot of "looky-loos" hanging out in riot zones, are there? Of the ones who might, how many would anyone expect to be carrying at all, whether OC or CC? I just can't imagine this is an issue for which carriers of any description needs advice for how to carry, since anyone with a working brain would avoid such zones at nearly all costs. At least this guy with a working brain would.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

It seems, openly carrying is deterring those from destroying certain stores. Carrying a gun, in any manner, is like carrying a cigarette in your example, I wouldn't be around the gas pump either way.

Would you walk down those streets carrying concealed? All it takes is one person to choose his next unarmed victim...and there are a lot of people angry there now.

What difference does it make how you carry, if someone is dumb enough to want to be down there to begin with, a gun won't help him. Those that have to be there, are showing their arms and being left alone...the others...are burning.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's an article I just saw linked on another forum- Forgive me if it's already been linked here. (Makes some of the same points Mainsail did in the OP)

The Pro Liberty Choice: Dispelling The Myths Of Open Carry | The Daily Caller
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

With all these riots and trouble going on and perhaps spreading to other cities I wonder if it is a good idea to OC on a daily basis? Please do not get the idea that I am slamming OC! I really do not care how you carry. My stance is to CARRY!

What I mean is that there seems to be many who are rioting that want to kill cops. These same people could see someone OC and think cop. You could be targeted even when there is no trouble going on at that time. Not trying to start an argument here. I know that some believe that an OC is a deterrent and others believe that OC could get you targeted. Just thought this should be something that you should consider.
    Well you continue the "argument"; We have "considered" it and think that the deterrent factor prevails. It may get you targeted, nobody knows but it's our personal choice to do. We open carriers don't constantly make the claim that concealed carriers want to ambush criminals and kill them; So why don't both sides keep their really subjective opinions to themselves. Nobody's opinion is gonna be changed.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunluvr View Post
    Well you continue the "argument"; We have "considered" it and think that the deterrent factor prevails. It may get you targeted, nobody knows but it's our personal choice to do. We open carriers don't constantly make the claim that concealed carriers want to ambush criminals and kill them; So why don't both sides keep their really subjective opinions to themselves. Nobody's opinion is gonna be changed.
    I understand the frustration, and liked your post, but want to add that my mind was changed by several OC'ers on this board who kept pluggin' away with well-reasoned coverage of the pros and cons whenever myths and lies were posted. Between them and a change in the law in this state that prevents cops from using the mere sight of an OC'ed weapon as RAS for a Terry stop, the way was cleared for me to make a rational decision to start OC'ing.

I have no patience for CC-only snobs who promulgate the notion that CC is somehow the provenance of a superior intellect, or the inverse, that OC is somehow indicative of inferior critical thinking abilities. If someone posts about the subject with honest questions and/or objective and open-minded discussion, I have no problem with that and may well contribute to the discussion. If someone starts spewing myths about getting targeted/taken out first/having your weapon easily stolen and used against you, I think that kind of Fudd nonsense should be rebuked so as to give newcomers or casual readers of the OC Forum the side that comes from personal experience. Not to change their minds necessarily, but to give them real-world experiential examples countering the sheeple BS.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

10. With open carry likely to pass soon in my state I've had a lot of very interesting discussions about open carry lately.

My personal view is that the disadvantages of open carry outweigh the advantages so I'm unlikely to do it. However, just because *I* think something isn't a good idea doesn't mean it should be a crime. Everyone has to make their own choice in regards to carrying firearms, and although my choice would be not to do it, I still derive a benefit from those who do. Although the comparison is a little uncomfortable I would compare open carry to the public display of homosexuality. Those that do it put it in front of the public to see and "get used to it" whether they want to or not. I think open carry does the same service for armed citizens. It puts our rights in the faces of people who may not be comfortable with them, but over many years, people get used to the idea and many people just don't care anymore. Open carry is the same sort of "in your face" activism that has worked so well for the gay community and it's time we started using it as well.

My own thinking is that since I'm not a police officer, I don't necessarily want to draw attention to my defensive measures. My gun is for my own use and I don't want to advertise my options to anyone. Those that know me know to stay clear of my gun side and that's enough. There are many situations where I man choose to withdraw from a situation rather than shoot back - my goal survival, not justice and I feel that openly displaying a firearm may take options away from me. However, I think open carry does bring an awareness to society of personal responsibility that has been lost and I'm glad that people are willing to do it.

We're here.
    We're armed.
    Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    With open carry likely to pass soon in my state I've had a lot of very interesting discussions about open carry lately.

My personal view is that the disadvantages of open carry outweigh the advantages so I'm unlikely to do it. However, just because *I* think something isn't a good idea doesn't mean it should be a crime. Everyone has to make their own choice in regards to carrying firearms, and although my choice would be not to do it, I still derive a benefit from those who do. Although the comparison is a little uncomfortable I would compare open carry to the public display of homosexuality. Those that do it put it in front of the public to see and "get used to it" whether they want to or not. I think open carry does the same service for armed citizens. It puts our rights in the faces of people who may not be comfortable with them, but over many years, people get used to the idea and many people just don't care anymore. Open carry is the same sort of "in your face" activism that has worked so well for the gay community and it's time we started using it as well.

My own thinking is that since I'm not a police officer, I don't necessarily want to draw attention to my defensive measures. My gun is for my own use and I don't want to advertise my options to anyone. Those that know me know to stay clear of my gun side and that's enough. There are many situations where I man choose to withdraw from a situation rather than shoot back - my goal survival, not justice and I feel that openly displaying a firearm may take options away from me. However, I think open carry does bring an awareness to society of personal responsibility that has been lost and I'm glad that people are willing to do it.

We're here.
    We're armed.
    Get used to it.
    too bad your "thinking" doesnt have any facts to back it up.... However, it is your choice and no-one elses how you choose to carry...

Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast