The Open Carry Argument - Page 55
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Dog: You are doing a lot of woofing about what you will or won't do about open carry. Let me put you in a different situation for a second. I am 78 years old and walk (?) with a cane. I can OC any of my pistols, except one, without them being so obvious or noticeable. The exception is my 1911 .45. It is a monster in comparison and it nearly pulls my pants down. If you see an old man like that, would you, as a young man, hesitate to try and relieve me of my weapon? If you were a thug in training, you might be tempted to take advantage of me. Therefore, I have to use great discretion in when and where I open carry. I think Bluesstringer made a similar statement with the exception of age. I might not OC all the time but rest assured I do carry.
    I open carry an fnx45t, that probably dwarfs your 1911, and the majority of people still don't see the firearm.

A for the pants falling down...I'm lucky I still have a butt for now, will probably go to suspenders though since I can cover them up with my untucked outer t-shirt.

Sent from my SM-N920T using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Can you site the state convoluted no-OCin while driving law?
    Sure:

Alabama Code 13A-11-73(b)
    (a) Except on land under his or her control or in his or her own abode or his or her own fixed place of business, no person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person without a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.

(b) Except as otherwise prohibited by law, a person legally permitted to possess a pistol, but who does not possess a valid concealed weapon permit, may possess an unloaded pistol in his or her motor vehicle if the pistol is locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.

It's "convoluted" because it's perfectly legal to OC without a permit while not in a vehicle, but all of a sudden becomes illegal once you enter a vehicle. It forces the law-abiding citizen who prefers OC to get a permission slip to carry a loaded weapon while inside a vehicle, and even after complying with such foolishness, must cover-up on ingress and uncover upon egress of the vehicle.

It's doubly "convoluted" because in our Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground statutes, your vehicle is looked at by the law as an extension of your home, where it is perfectly legal to carry loaded open or concealed and with or without a permission slip while practicing either method of carry.

Do you question that it's a convoluted law, or were you just looking for the Code section for better understanding?

Blues

ETA: Upon further reading statutes and finding no prohibition for OC'ing in a vehicle as long as the OC'er has a permit, I have concluded that I was mistaken about having to cover/uncover upon ingress/egress. It's still a convoluted law for the other reasons specified as far as I'm concerned though. I know that when the law passed in 2013 that the "conventional wisdom" amongst activists who got the ball rolling to change the law concerning OC was that OC would still be prohibited while in a vehicle. I'm not sure what's changed since then, the language of the original passed and signed bill, or the understanding of it by law enforcement, prosecutors and/or the courts, but I can find nothing now that states OC inside a vehicle is illegal as long as one has a valid permission slip.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I open carry an fnx45t, that probably dwarfs your 1911, and the majority of people still don't see the firearm.

A for the pants falling down...I'm lucky I still have a butt for now, will probably go to suspenders though since I can cover them up with my untucked outer t-shirt.

This is one of the reasons I keep weighted walking lunges in my exercise routine, Chen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    This is one of the reasons I keep weighted walking lunges in my exercise routine, Chen.
    Word of caution. That stops working if you break your back.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Gun bills pass Florida House, but face slim chances in Senate | Miami Herald

Remember these politicians names, fellow Floridians. Know thy enemy!
    Samuel Colt did more for equality in America than any civil rights activist.

7. All I know is there comes a time in most peoples life where they have to defend themselves. I am not saying that the use of a firearm is necessarily in order but I want that option. I have heard numerous stories in the last few weeks of people using firearms to depend themselves. Most had to pull the trigger unfortunately. I am a supporter of life, however if someone trying to take my life or a believable threat to me or those around me, I would then have no choice but to use force to defend lives.

8. I open carry in Virginia when I am going about my life for two reasons. Personal protection and to let people get used to seeing people open carry. Personally I feel better when I see someone open carry. It discourages crime and let's me know i'm not alone in my thoughts about this. I CC for work because I have to but I would open carry there if I could.

Bad guys don't open carry and we need to remind people of that. Carrying a firearm is a tremendous responsability and every time "one of us" abuses that it sets us back. Carry and carry responsibly so others will know that we are there to help and not harm.

9. What about someone taking your weapon taken from you when you open carry? What's the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaster View Post
    What about someone taking your weapon taken from you when you open carry? What's the defense?
    Learn what situational awareness is and practice it every minute of every day.

Learn and practice firearm retention techniques.

Use a holster with some level of built in active retention.
    Actually all of those are good advice for both open can concealed carry.

Now... folks often express concern about open carry leading to having their gun taken from them yet the incidents of this actually happening to people who are not cops are so rare as to be almost non existent. I am not saying that it is impossible for it to happen... nor am I saying we (those who open carry) should not pay attention to the possibility and take steps (see above) to prevent it... I am saying it doesn't happen very often. Please consider that people have been open carrying in Arizona for decades yet we rarely hear about open carry gun grabs from Arizona or anywhere else. And we all know the anti gun media would jump on any chance to sensationalize any gun grab for weeks.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaster View Post
    What about someone taking your weapon taken from you when you open carry? What's the defense?
    The same as when you have your gun taken away from you when you conceal carry. What's the defense?

“One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast