The Open Carry Argument - Page 6
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 612

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

  1. #51
    In my AO open carry is legal with or without a CCW permit. However, you will be hasseled by LEO's.

    Most will see you as a nuisence, or possibly even inciting a riot, it's happened once here. Not until LEO"s are well aware of people rights will the tide turn. I open carry to MAKE A STATEMENT just as much as I open carry to have a firearm for self defense measures.

    I want police to stop me, to approach me, and to be given the chance to screw up by detaining me, and or arresting me for simply exercising my right to openly carry a firearm. I would welcome the attention that it would bring, but I've not been lucky enough to get one of the LEO's to actually take that chance.

    "A RIGHT NOT EXERCISED IS A RIGHT LOST"

    Just my .02
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

  2.   
  3. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    ... However, you will be hasseled by LEO's...
    ... I would welcome the attention that it would bring, but I've not been lucky enough to get one of the LEO's to actually take that chance...
    Is it just me, or do these two statements seem to be contradictory?

    Not that I don't believe that it has happened at least once, but I really don't think you have much to worry about in KY.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  4. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Is it just me, or do these two statements seem to be contradictory?

    Not that I don't believe that it has happened at least once, but I really don't think you have much to worry about in KY.
    It does happen, but you have to know how to talk to the officers and allow them to make the mistakes of an improper search and siezure. I've not been arrested, but I'm sure some hot shot cop will make it his priority one day.

    I'm not afraid to be the poster boy for open carry in this state. If that makes any sense.

    Was my two statements contradictory ? I guess so, however the open carry, regardless of this states constitution, still has it's problems, depending on the attitude of the LEO agency.

    I'm not attempting to be a smart ass with law enforcement, but I will carry openly from time to time to test the waters and it's generally not good.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

  5. [QUOTE=HK4U;101615]... Most active shooters just like the Islamic terrorist are not afraid of being killed. They begin their killing spree with the intent on dieing. They have one thing on their mind and that is to kill as many people as they can. Someone with a gun on is not going to change their mind but rather will tell them, "Shoot me first so that I can not stop you".QUOTE]

    I don't disagree with the above statement, necessarily. Only the implication that such an event is the main reason any of us carry. Or even in the top 10 for most of us.

    If most "active shooters" are not afraid of being killed, why do they typically attack those least likely to defend themselves? I'm talking about Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc. A look at the North Hollywood shootout points to "active shooters" who clearly planned to out-gun any potential adversary. And even at Fort Hood - the shooter clearly knew that military personel are not permitted to be armed while on base. My final example is also the most recent - the scumbag in Washington State that killed 4 cops. What if he'd known (or at least suspected) that a significant percentage of the civilians in that coffee shop were carrying?

    There is no magic answer. Open-carry, Concealed-carry and No-carry are the options. Each of us makes our decision based on his or her own priorities and experiences. Now that I have my permit, I find myself CCing more that OCing. However, that often only means an untucked shirt over the exact same rig I use to OC. Other times it means a tuckable IWB rig.

    Why do I carry? Pick your cliche. "When seconds count, the police are minutes away". "I carry a gun because a cop would be too heavy." We've all heard them all.

    The basic gist for me is pretty simple: if I need it, I have it.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    I want police to stop me, to approach me, and to be given the chance to screw up by detaining me, and or arresting me for simply exercising my right to openly carry a firearm.
    Interesting perspective. The PD where you live must have a lot more money than ours. Considering that our cops are spread very thin already, the last thing I want to do is waste their time acting as bait for one who might make a mistake. God forbid... a human being who makes a mistake!

    IMHO, you're energy would be better spent opening a dialogue with your local PD to insure that the officers on the street are aware of the OC and CC laws.

    And what would you do if your were detained? File a lawsuit? Yeah... that's productive.

    I don't know about Kentucky - but where I live the PD can detain a person for 2 hours without cause. If the same is true where you live, your idea of pitting yourself against LE might only garner you several 1:59 detentions.

    It seems to me that working WITH law enforcement makes more sense than setting out to prove them fallible. Just my .02.

  7. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    You make some good points. I usually carry concealed in public, sometimes carry openly in public, and always carry openly in private.

    I respect Mr. Ayoob, but I don't agree with "give him a wallet with a few bucks and maybe he'll be satisfied, maybe he won't kill you". If someone threatens me with a lethal weapon, the only logical assumption is that he is going to use it on me. I won't be listening to what he says, I won't be thinking about the value of any of my possessions, I will be thinking about surviving. I will move and shoot. That's the only point of carrying a defensive weapon, openly or concealed. If you're not going to resist, why bother taking any self-defense measures?

    Also, whatever surprise value gained by the victim exposing his concealed weapon is offset by the perpetrator having the first move.
    Ayoob actually says, toss the dog a bone, then if you have to shoot him any witnesses will say you tried to cooperate and the BG left you no choice. These are my words of what I understood him to say.
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    13
    i think if your a sicko that want to shoot someone then all bets are off on this argument i don't want to have to shoot anyone and will take every step that i can so i don't have to but if i do have to shoot someone i am sure that it will not make me happy in anyway to have to take someones life or defened my self in court for what i have done and why i had to do it so take my wallet but don't make me fear for my life or i will have to shoot you. to save my owen life and by the way i don't carry cash in my wallet anyway
    PS by the way this was to something i read in this argument way early in the topic in the first place mainsail and it was not even you that said it i like what you said and it was a good read so thanks for the read

  9. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by rays View Post
    i think if your a sicko that want to shoot someone then all bets are off on this argument i don't want to have to shoot anyone and will take every step that i can so i don't have to but if i do have shoot someone i am sure that it will not make me happy in anyway to have take someones life or defened my self in court for what i have done and why i had to do it so take my wallet but don't make me fear for my life or i will have to shoot you. to save my owen life and by the way i don't carry cash in my wallet anyway
    Uh, can you rewrite that in English?

  10. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    13
    So it like that! you must just like to argue or try and piss people off that fine. just because you can spell good don't make you life smart it just makes you book smart. you have a nice day dude! hope it gets better for you and you find someone that likes argue with you

  11. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by rays View Post
    So it like that! you must just like to argue or try and piss people off that fine. just because you can spell good don't make you life smart it just makes you book smart. you have a nice day dude! hope it gets better for you and you find someone that likes argue with you
    Allow me to be a little more diplomatic and first welcome you to USA Carry. I think Mailsail's point is that it's kinda hard to follow your line of thought when you use no capital letters and only one period in the entire paragraph (and it's not even at the end.) Proper sentence structure would certainly help to get your point across, which BTW, didn't really seem to pertain to the topic in the first place. (Another pet peeve of most forum users).

    Take your time, use the "preview post" function. Maybe use the spell check on your browser. It will make the conversation flow alot more smoothly.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast