The Open Carry Argument - Page 60
Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    ...but let's say you're standing in line at a 7-11 and you get popped in the back of the head by the bad guy who's about to hold the place up because he sees you carrying
    There are enough 7-11 type store robbery surveillance videos on youtube or vimeo to keep you busy for days. In not one did the robber walk in and check out the customers for firearms, even when uniformed police officers were in line.

One can speculate any scenario but still needs to ask; is it realistic?

The Open Carry Argument

Originally Posted by corneileous View Post

...but let's say you're standing in line at a 7-11 and you get popped in the back of the head by the bad guy who's about to hold the place up because he sees you carrying

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    There are enough 7-11 type store robbery surveillance videos on youtube or vimeo to keep you busy for days. In not one did the robber walk in and check out the customers for firearms, even when uniformed police officers were in line.

One can speculate any scenario but still needs to ask; is it realistic?
    You sat for days watching videos in an attempt to disprove? Hmm.

I wasn't saying what I said above like it actually happened somewhere. That was just merely an example, hence the, "let's say" part.

4. Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Just because statistics may show that you are more likely to ward off a bad guy by open carrying, it doesn't make it 100%.

Yes, most bad guys want easy targets; but not all of them prey on easy just despite thewitt's dismissal and referring to the links I posted as questionable.
    If bad guys want easy targets, and it is more likely than not that the known presence of a firearm will ward off the bad guy - then why would I not want to take advantage of the odds in my favor?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Here's the problem. It's almost impossible to prove a negative. -snip-
    Agreed yet while it may be impossible to definitively prove a negative the paltry few incidents of media coverage of open carriers being shot first or being targeted for their gun, especially considering open carry is commonplace (and has been commonplace for decades!) in Arizona, is a good indication that those things don't happen to open carriers very often. Especially considering the anti gun media would revel in reporting any and all misfortunes that might befall open carriers.

I understand that my openly carried gun is no more a magic talisman that wards off attacks any more than concealed carry makes someone a super duper stealth ninja warrior.... but I do know that if my openly carried sidearm causes a bad guy to decide to pass me up in favor of attacking the concealed carrier because the concealed carrier looks like all the other unarmed folks wandering around then I'm quite happy to go on about my day without being accosted.

And if a bad guy attacks me for my openly carried gun then I am in no worse a situation than the concealed carrier who was attacked for his wallet.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others.

If bad guys want easy targets, and it is more likely than not that the known presence of a firearm will ward off the bad guy - then why would I not want to take advantage of the odds in my favor?
    But that's just it, carrying openly in plain view isn't always a 100% guarantee that a bad guy won't mess with you. Awareness of your surroundings will help minimize that but in my opinion it isn't worth it but hey, that's just me.

I consider open carry to fall into the same category as situational awareness. While neither is 100% guaranteed to prevent an attack both are ways to lower the risk of being attacked.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I understand that my openly carried gun is no more a magic talisman that wards off attacks any more than concealed carry makes someone a super duper stealth ninja warrior....
    Unfortunately there's probably conceal carriers out there who believe they are just that. Just like there's people who open carry who think they're Wyatt Earp or something.

...but I do know that if my openly carried sidearm causes a bad guy to decide to pass me up in favor of attacking the concealed carrier because the concealed carrier looks like all the other unarmed folks wandering around then I'm quite happy to go on about my day without being accosted.
    Hmm. You've seen this firsthand?

And if a bad guy attacks me for my openly carried gun then I am in no worse a situation than the concealed carrier who was attacked for his wallet.
    True.

-snip-
    Originally posted by Bikenut:
    ...but I do know that if my openly carried sidearm causes a bad guy to decide to pass me up in favor of attacking the concealed carrier because the concealed carrier looks like all the other unarmed folks wandering around then I'm quite happy to go on about my day without being accosted.
    Hmm. You've seen this firsthand?

-snip-
    Bold added by me.

Please note that I said "if". And I intentionally used the word "if" because I have no way of proving someone was going to attack but changed their mind after seeing my sidearm.

There have been some personal experiences (one at a Speedway gas station in Bridgeport and one in a Wal Mart parking lot in Clio come to mind) where a shady looking character with hinky body language approached me but upon seeing my openly carried sidearm apparently decided he needed to be elsewhere and abruptly changed direction. I cannot prove they had bad intentions but I do have an opinion based upon the totality of the circumstances. Of course I have no idea if those individuals went on to attack someone else who was either unarmed or appeared unarmed because they were carrying concealed.

Bold added by me.

Please note that I said "if". And I intentionally used the word "if" because I have no way of proving someone was going to attack but changed their mind after seeing my sidearm.
    I know you said "if", and actually wouldn't have quoted you but it was here where you said:
    ...then I'm quite happy to go on about my day without being accosted.
    ...that made it sound like you were insinuating it was because you were open carrying is why you weren't bothered by no one.

So far I've yet to be bothered and I've been concealed carrying since last August. Is that why I haven't? Highly, highly doubt it.

The only time you know for sure that your openly-displayed gun made some shady folks turn the other cheek is quoted down below but that's only because they sucked at sneaking up on someone or your ability of being aware of your surroundings all the time is what it should be.

There have been some personal experiences (one at a Speedway gas station in Bridgeport and one in a Wal Mart parking lot in Clio come to mind) where a shady looking character with hinky body language approached me but upon seeing my openly carried sidearm apparently decided he needed to be elsewhere and abruptly changed direction. I cannot prove they had bad intentions but I do have an opinion based upon the totality of the circumstances. Of course I have no idea if those individuals went on to attack someone else who was either unarmed or appeared unarmed because they were carrying concealed.
    Who knows.

-snip-
    ...then I'm quite happy to go on about my day without being accosted.
    ...that made it sound like you were insinuating it was because you were open carrying is why you weren't bothered by no one.
    When my entire statement, as it is quoted below, is taken in whole my meaning is quite clear.

-snip-

I understand that my openly carried gun is no more a magic talisman that wards off attacks any more than concealed carry makes someone a super duper stealth ninja warrior.... but I do know that if my openly carried sidearm causes a bad guy to decide to pass me up in favor of attacking the concealed carrier because the concealed carrier looks like all the other unarmed folks wandering around then I'm quite happy to go on about my day without being accosted.

-snip-
    Bold added by me for emphasis...

Any insinuations you might have read into it are not what is plainly posted.

So far I've yet to be bothered and I've been concealed carrying since last August. Is that why I haven't? Highly, highly doubt it.
    Which brings us back to Navy's statement of it being almost impossible to prove a negative. But even so we all, myself and you included, form our own opinions about why we haven't been "bothered" and, after considering the totality of the circumstances when sketchy guys abruptly changed their behavior upon noticing my sidearm over the past decade I've been open carrying, I have formed the opinion that open carry can be a factor in preventing being attacked.

The only time you know for sure that your openly-displayed gun made some shady folks turn the other cheek is quoted down below but that's only because they sucked at sneaking up on someone or your ability of being aware of your surroundings all the time is what it should be.
    -snip-
    Or perhaps it was their noticing my sidearm while they were in the process of sizing me up for an attack?