The Open Carry Argument - Page 9
Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    So some of you feel "uncomfortable" OCing?

Might want to rethink your resolve to carry a firearm in the first place.

How "uncomfortable" are you going to feel when someone pulls a gun on you? If you can't manage the stress of simply carrying a firearm openly, how will you fare when the stress levels are off the charts?

If your afraid of exercising a right then you don't deserve it. I can see the tactical argument for CC, but CCing because of negative public reaction or fear of a false arrest turns my gut. The reason LEOs get away with misinformation and unlawful arrests is because people are afraid to stand up for what is a constitutional right.

Just because you have a gun doesn't mean your not a sheep, I prefer to be the wolf.
    I also agree completely. Where I live in Arizona open carry is common place. The local LEO's are well aware of the the law and there's never been an incident of harassment, or question, that I'm aware of in the eleven years I've been here. If there is any stress, it's usually on the face of someone visiting from California, but they get the same look if you're smoking a cigarette too.
    ~ HEAVEN Has A Wall And A Strict Immigration Policy - HELL Has Open Borders ~

i open carry all the time.to me its the only way to carry. i dont like the feeling of being discreet, like i have something to hide. i just dont like the feeling. the way i see it, we carry for one of two reasons or both. 1. its our right, and 2. to defend ourselves when needed. and most full size or large frame weapons are much harder to conceal. for instance, i carry a desert eagle and would not want to even try to conceal it. the only way id be able to do so would be with a shoulder holster and an overcoat or jacket. i dont really see many people oc in tennessee, or at least in my town, but i hope to see more do so. and its not going to ruin anything for those who carry concealed. ive had people try to tell me that in the past. they're full of it. and the best thing about oc, is people see it, they are more prone to leave you alone. though you will get some odd looks now and then. thats just my opinion.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by AzBanks View Post
    I have to disagree Charlie. I have a very good friend who was attacked through his open car window by a drunk(.19 BAC) in Arizona. The drunk took a single round of .40 just above his right eye. He is dead so my friend won according to your post.
    My friend doesn't see it that way. He is facing second degree murder charges. He's spent over $500,000 posting bail and paying for lawyers. He's lost his job, house, fiance, lots of family and friends. The drunk and my friend both lost. It's not about guilt, it's about the price you may have to pay even if you were 100% justified in pulling the trigger
    When did this incident with your friend happen? The reason I ask is because in Arizona the Castle Doctrine gives a person the right to use force in a home or vehicle against an intruder without having to retreat. Add to that Bill (SB1145) signed into law April 25, 2006, imposed a new burden of proof on prosecutors to demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that a defendant's self-defense claim -that an act that would otherwise be a crime was justified-was unfounded. This law was implemented saying the 1997 law was fundamentally unfair in that self defense claimants were potentially losing their liberty or having to mount a costly legal defense. No longer does someone have to go broke proving their innocence when protecting themselves or their family in their home or car in Arizona.
    ~ HEAVEN Has A Wall And A Strict Immigration Policy - HELL Has Open Borders ~

Quote Originally Posted by AzBanks View Post
    I have to disagree Charlie. I have a very good friend who was attacked through his open car window by a drunk(.19 BAC) in Arizona. The drunk took a single round of .40 just above his right eye. He is dead so my friend won according to your post.
    My friend doesn't see it that way. He is facing second degree murder charges. He's spent over $500,000 posting bail and paying for lawyers. He's lost his job, house, fiance, lots of family and friends. The drunk and my friend both lost. It's not about guilt, it's about the price you may have to pay even if you were 100% justified in pulling the trigger
    No castle doctrine in his state?

In mine, castle doctrine includes your car too, if you or another person you know are in it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Comp_sH00tEr24 View Post
    I live in Indiana where OC is allowed, however Ive only ever seen one person practicing it outside of a gun store. The reason I only carry concealed is I live right next to a college campus (pretty much on the campus) Although it is a relatively conservative school I am not going to take the chance of walking into Panera with my g23 visible to the masses of sorority girls and liberal professors who are completely ignorant of the law. I think the most likely thing that will happen is someone will scream "HE'S GOT A GUN!!!" and everyone will run out of the place and 15 minutes later Ill be on my stomach with 4 officers around me guns drawn screaming orders at me. I am just not willing to take that chance until I live in a more "gun-friendly" neighborhood.
    This is a good a reason as any for keepin your weapon out of sight,

Quote Originally Posted by Comp_sH00tEr24 View Post
    I live in Indiana where OC is allowed, however Ive only ever seen one person practicing it outside of a gun store. The reason I only carry concealed is I live right next to a college campus (pretty much on the campus) Although it is a relatively conservative school I am not going to take the chance of walking into Panera with my g23 visible to the masses of sorority girls and liberal professors who are completely ignorant of the law. I think the most likely thing that will happen is someone will scream "HE'S GOT A GUN!!!" and everyone will run out of the place and 15 minutes later Ill be on my stomach with 4 officers around me guns drawn screaming orders at me. I am just not willing to take that chance until I live in a more "gun-friendly" neighborhood.
    I routinely carry my 1911 or my G20 openly in a coffee shop that butts against UW Tacoma property. No drama.

im going to open carry every chance i get. you may or may not get more hassel from the fuzz, but i dont know of anyone who was assaulted while open carrying. not to say it doesnt happen, and in my town, most people that see i have a weapon on my side and am being polite and talkative, tend to give off a sense of feeling safer in the presence of such. especially with the small businesses i frequent on a daily basis. criminals tend to pick out weak and easy targets. they are less likely to rob a store without casing the joint first. but i always like reading of people who do carry concealed and come out victorious when such a situation arises. but like stated before, its all in what one prefers.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    This is a good a reason as any for keepin your weapon out of sight,
    I respectfully disagree. This would be more of a reason TO OC. It's a great opportunity to educate members of the general public. If they see enough citizens walking around minding their own business while OCing, then there's a chance that they may change their point of view. This is one reason why it's critical for those who choose to carry (OC or CC), need to be on their best behavior. You WILL be judged by others, so whenever possible, choose the path of least resistance and be passive whenever possible. I'm not saying that you need to go out there and let people walk all over you, I'm simply saying that you shouldn't be going out there "looking" for trouble.

I've OC'd in a few different states and never had a really bad encounter. I have been able to educate a lot more people than "scare off".

If you do decide to OC, be prepared to be stopped by LE and possibly detained while they figure out what's going on. If I'm in a hurry, or simply don't want to be bothered, I'll CC (whenever legal). Otherwise, if I'm simply gonna be out and about and willing to educate members of the public, I'll OC and educate anyone who's willing to listen to what I have to say.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I respectfully disagree. This would be more of a reason TO OC. It's a great opportunity to educate members of the general public. If they see enough citizens walking around minding their own business while OCing, then there's a chance that they may change their point of view. This is one reason why it's critical for those who choose to carry (OC or CC), need to be on their best behavior. You WILL be judged by others, so whenever possible, choose the path of least resistance and be passive whenever possible. I'm not saying that you need to go out there and let people walk all over you, I'm simply saying that you shouldn't be going out there "looking" for trouble.

I've OC'd in a few different states and never had a really bad encounter. I have been able to educate a lot more people than "scare off".

If you do decide to OC, be prepared to be stopped by LE and possibly detained while they figure out what's going on. If I'm in a hurry, or simply don't want to be bothered, I'll CC (whenever legal). Otherwise, if I'm simply gonna be out and about and willing to educate members of the public, I'll OC and educate anyone who's willing to listen to what I have to say.

gf

well said. my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    Ditto

Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast