Why Open Carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry?

Yeah that sound good but it will never happen lol. This was vary shocking to see as i have never seen a NH police officer talk to someone like that just for open carrying. Keep in mind that No crime had been committed it was just a call about a man with a gun. Instead of acting like a grown up and doing his job. When he came upon a Citizen who knew his rights and would not summit to being bullied around by a officer. The cop started acting like a Fat head and cussing at the guy. For carrying his firearm and spare mags and a flashlight.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

To the OP: I see your point in why you OC. I guess I will share my view on it.

As much as I am for the 2nd ammendment, I disagree with the OC theory. 100 years ago, it would have been acceptable. But with the liberal media (CNN=Communist News Network) brain washing America's population, OC would make any situation extremely nerve racking. Unarmed citizens would live with an unnecessary fear of anyone carrying a gun. Of course, the fear would probably eventually fade, but it would probably take a VERY long time for the effects of the media to wear off.

If the community as a whole, however, were conditioned and accustomed to seeing guns on people, obviously it would be less of an issue. As for deterring criminals, knowing that people CAN carry CONCEALED weapons should keep them guessing at who is carrying and who isn't. Thus, deterring them from bothering even more people and not risking a crime with people around.

Should OC be illegal? No. But this modern day and age, people who have handguns should conceal them from the general public out of courtesy.
    Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    To the OP: I see your point in why you OC. I guess I will share my view on it.

As much as I am for the 2nd ammendment, I disagree with the OC theory. 100 years ago, it would have been acceptable. But with the liberal media (CNN=Communist News Network) brain washing America's population, OC would make any situation extremely nerve racking. Unarmed citizens would live with an unnecessary fear of anyone carrying a gun. Of course, the fear would probably eventually fade, but it would probably take a VERY long time for the effects of the media to wear off.

If the community as a whole, however, were conditioned and accustomed to seeing guns on people, obviously it would be less of an issue. As for deterring criminals, knowing that people CAN carry CONCEALED weapons should keep them guessing at who is carrying and who isn't. Thus, deterring them from bothering even more people and not risking a crime with people around.

Should OC be illegal? No. But this modern day and age, people who have handguns should conceal them from the general public out of courtesy.
    Courtesy works both ways, and concealed carry does have some deterrent, but not nearly as much as OC. And OC is still acceptable in many (ok, a few) areas of the USA. The American Southwest (Except Texas) and some other areas.

And, thanks to new efforts, it is becoming more acceptable in previously non-acceptable areas. And in general, my observation has been that the vast public at large doesn't even notice, for the most part. So far, I've gotten way more positive remarks, than negative. So I think I'll keep OCing, when practical.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

5. Just curious, B.G.A, do you REALLY have a pink gun?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Just curious, B.G.A, do you REALLY have a pink gun?
    Nope, it would clash with my ensemble.

Open carry just won't work in many parts of the country... it does make people nervous, and is likely to cause more trouble than it is worth.

Now then, I am from the Pacific Northwest, and there are times/places when OC is appropriate here...but that is largely due to a historical connection with folks walking around heeled. Even when it's the right time and place, the east-coast transplants still get scared and call the cops from time to time...

When is it appropriate? I OC in two situations only: 1) on my ranch. When I'm on horseback or walking on my land, I OC. It's unlikely that I will see anyone, but if I do, they don't think anything of it...I'm a guy, on a ranch, 25 miles from the nearest town...of course I have a gun.
    (side bar: Once when I parked along side the road, wathcing the sunset, the loacl sherriff drove by...we chatted a bit, then when we was leaving, he ask me if I had a gun in my truck...I said "yes", he said, "good man...just making sure." I can't imagine that conversation taking place when I lived in Boston!)
    The other time is when I am by myself fishing on rivers near the Portland metro area-- the rules are different re: gun possession when one is "actively engaged in or in route to hunting or fishing" (which is one reason everyone I know carries fishing gear with them...but I digress) -- so, if I'm standing on my own along side the Clackamas river, a place where no one is going to sneak up on me, I OC -- it's a good advertisement that I'm not an easy target. I've even met some friends because of my pistol--one guy I fish with to this day came up, turned to his buddy, and said, "I'm stickin' by the guy who came prepared..."

I agree, that OC does not work in all places. But with time to re-educate people, it might, one day.

At-will employment

Quote Originally Posted by ntrngr View Post
    I propose this: For any LEO that violates a right to carry law, they should be ticketed $100 right off of their takehome pay. Then, that $100 then goes to officer education. That would stop this moronic garbage. The word would get around and we'd have LEO instead of Policy Enforcement Thugs.
    Better idea, localities should flat out refuse to deal with police unions and only hire officer on an at-will basis!!!

If you receive bad service at a hotel or restaurant, you complain to the manager or corperate office and the matter gets addressed. The complaint process becomes a way to improve the quality of future service. If the same people receive the same complaints over and over again, those people end up out of a job. BUT NOT IN LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Complain about the conduct of a LEO. What typically happens? The complain is handled by another LEO who is a member of the same police union and thus has an incentive not to do anything. How many citizen complaints does it take to finally get a LEO fired? 50? 100? Or does the officer literally have to kill to get fired?

A mayor, governor, city administrator, county commisioner, selectman or other executive leader as the case may be should have the power to terminate the employment of any law enforcement officer in the area of his/her executive jurisdiction at anytime for any reason. In addition, a city council, county council, or similar legislative body should be able to terminate the employment of a law enforcement office by majority vote. This a check that most local governments severly need. Stop letting police unions determine what is and is not grounds for termination of a LEO.

10. I open carry because there is no other option available. Tomorrow I am going to join a protest/demonstration in Sussex WI.

This is why:
    Here is what happened:

On Monday Feb. 15th, one of our members, "Joseph" was doing something he has done on many occasions. That is sitting down for lunch at China-Wok in Sussex, WI while open-carrying as law-abiding citizens do in Wisconsin. The only difference on this day was a Wisconsin State Trooper; "Trooper Kneisler" was in the parking lot. On this day, this particular Trooper was on a mission to place his personal desires above his professional responsibilities. It appears to us at Wisconsin Carry that Trooper Kneisler was determined to oust Joseph from the restaurant before he had any knowledge of the stores policy or even that the store-owners had any desire for his intervention. Don't take our word for it. When Joseph saw Trooper Kneisler heading into the restaurant, he pulled out his recording device (standard accessory for many of us who want to make sure we have documentation in the event of unlawful conduct by law-enforcement) and video-taped the encounter:
    Watch it on You-Tube here

Unfortunately this video is not the end of the story. Late Monday night 3 Waukesha County Sheriffs Deputies visited Joseph at his home. Indications from the deputies was that Trooper Kneisler had continued his persecution of Joseph by contacting them and untruthfully suggesting Joseph was trying to impersonate a police officer. Reasons given included that he was "open-carrying" and that he has CB Radio antennae on his vehicle (a Hyundai Elantra)?

As would be expected, the deputies determined State Trooper Kneisler's complaint was unfounded and left.

This impacts all of us everywhere. If you are interested, Time and date is set:

Date: Sunday February 21st

Time: 12:30pm

Starbucks
    N65W24950 Main Street
    Sussex, WI 53089

Even if we had Concealed Carry, I believe I would open carry anyway. It feels comfortable. There was a time when I conceal carried, I was good with that too. Just like open carry. If all fifty states could get together legitimize open and concealed carry anywhere, that would be great.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum. . .Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis. . . .Nemo me impune lacessit . . .Veritas vos Liberabit. . . .ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! . . . .Write, speak, do!

I see open carry as a great deterant for the BG's as opposed to CC. If a BG is going to rob the store and sees a person with a gun he most likely will change his mind,good, if he can't see a gun he may just put you into a situation that will cause you to use it, bad. Thats why bad guys don't rob stores when cops are getting their coffee, but I have heard stories of off duty cops being there when a robbery takes place...hence the BG did'nt see a gun.
    I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast