Traveling with a sidearm - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling with a sidearm

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible_Dave View Post
    Canceled permits are a problem. You can look here and www.handgunlaws.us for a good start on info regarding transport laws.

On Edit: I almost never give concrete answers on laws like this because 1) there are many variables 2) I'm not a lawyer 3) you need to understand the law if a LEO calls you on it. Even good cops don't always REALLY know the laws regarding transport. I suggest you read, know, and understand the law before going beyond what'd outlines in the transportation act sited above.
    I'd go one better and say that in cases of transport, you're better off in knowing both the federal gun laws, all state laws that you'd be passing through, and most importantly, the laws that protect you from the police.

Keep in mind that you never, ever have to say anything to a cop. They also can't search your vehicle unless they either have a warrant or probable cause.

"I respectfully decline to answer any of your questions officer." is a good phrase to know.

But in the end, know the law better than the cop and almost 100% of the time, you won't have a problem.

I recently investigated taking my .45 on an airplane, and it's not only doable, it's common. Call your airline or airportS (round-trip airports may have different standards) for complete details, as some are tougher than others.
    Last edited by kbv; 08-06-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The law requires the ammo to be separated from the occupants of the vehicle, NOT from the firearm(s).
    Here in PRHI the ammunition needs to be seperate from the firearm (as in no loaded magazine in the same case). You can have a cased firearm (unloaded) and the ammo in the same shooting bag, just don't have a loaded magazine in the same case as the firearm.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

5. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Here in PRHI the ammunition needs to be seperate from the firearm (as in no loaded magazine in the same case). You can have a cased firearm (unloaded) and the ammo in the same shooting bag, just don't have a loaded magazine in the same case as the firearm.

gf
    I was referring to the requirement of FOPA, the interstate transportation protection law, but it's kind of hard to transport a firearm THROUGH PRHI in interstate transportation

As per the lead council of the NRA it is called "Carry Through" It pertains to the carry of a legally owned weapon across state lines and through states even ones where such weapons are considered illegal. One must carry weapon in trunk seperate from ammo or if no trunk <like a pick up> then in passenger compartment but not easily accessible. I carry both in my semi all the time across US and have to abide by different state laws when it comes to CC/OC. When I go hunting I use my truck for transportation because it is always way better to be paid to go hunting then to pay for it yourself.....just sayin....

7. Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post
    As per the lead council of the NRA it is called "Carry Through" It pertains to the carry of a legally owned weapon across state lines and through states even ones where such weapons are considered illegal. One must carry weapon in trunk seperate from ammo or if no trunk <like a pick up> then in passenger compartment but not easily accessible. I carry both in my semi all the time across US and have to abide by different state laws when it comes to CC/OC. When I go hunting I use my truck for transportation because it is always way better to be paid to go hunting then to pay for it yourself.....just sayin....
    It is not necessary to seperate the gun from the ammo. In fact, if you carry the gun in the trunk and seperate it from the ammo by carrying the ammo anywhere in the passenger compartment, now you are in violation of the Federal law and, therefore, have none of the protection that it affords.

This site and one run by the NRA shows regulations and reciprical agreements for carry permits. Always a good idea to check 'em out before traveling.
    Pain make man think. Thinking make man wise.
    Wisdom make life endurable.
    ......Sakini......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12