Ordered to ground at gunpoint for open carrying by cleveland heights ohio police - Page 12
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordered to ground at gunpoint for open carrying by cleveland heights ohio police

1. That female cop was a real B#[email protected]*^!
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

3. Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Personally I have ZERO respect for anyone who thinks they are important enough to troll and taunt the police into wasting their time, and my tax money, to make a video of their stupidity. How long did you walk back and forth on that street until someone made a complaint call, illiciting the response that you so desired ??

I for one think you were handled with great restraint and respect. YES, police DO have the right to stop, inquire, and detain individuals until they are satisfied that no law is being broken. If they are not satisfied, they have a period of time to detain you in holding until they must either file charges or let you go. This "you are breaking the law" by detaining me is not correct.

Our community works very hard to keep an image of sane, trained and responsible individuals being armed for their own REAL self protection and intentionally taunting the police to get You-Tube video does not help the cause with lawmakers.

Remember, the "founding fathers" were nothing more than law makers, they were not Gods of some kind and the constitution and the rights that we so want to protect are simply laws on paper. Laws that new law makers CAN change today if desired. The second amendment COULD be repealed with enought support, and the first move to attempt that is always the same ... to show that 2nd amendment supporters are simply nut cases with guns ...

don't give them any more to work with than they already have!
    My friend,

Rights that are not exercised are gradually eroded and eventually lost. He fought this battle for you and for me.
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Im having mixed emotions (<-here is your first problem, thinking with your heart and not your mind) on this one as well...Seems to be you baited the police like 2beararms said. I live in Michigan where Open carry is also legal, but I dont OC [as of now] in fear of having that same situation happening to me. I feel in many ways you disrespected the police in this encounter. OC isnt to just walk around the block hoping a policeman would stop you. If anything you should be going about your every day business. Id question whether the police are doing their jobs or not if they didnt at least confront you for at least your ID. I agree the manner in which they approached you was a tad bit off, then again, the attitude you gave them was totally wrong as well.
    This "baiting the police" accusation is becoming tiresome. In what part of the video did it seem that his purpose for OCing that day was to bait the police? In what way did he "disrespect the police"? What attitude did he give the police? And BTW, so freakin' what if his intention was to capture footage of the police detaining him illegally? If he wasn't breaking any laws (which he was not) there was absolutely no reason to detain or even ask for ID.
    You should cooperate with them in anyway possible, not mouth off to them. Im all for the 2nd Amendment, but you asked for that one.
    Really? Let me ask you, if an officer comes to your door and asks to come inside even though he has no warrant or reasonable suspicion that there is any criminal activity, are you going to "cooperate in any way possible"?
    They didnt break the law by any means, if anything the were making sure they were safe, and you werent able to resist or reach for your weapon, but then again, I cant remember the last time a thug or a BG wore a weapon in an OWB Holster.
    Considering the CHPD settled on the lawsuit, I think it's pretty safe to say that they realized that they did in fact break the law.
    Id go about it smarter next time and try not to provoke the police. I hate to say it, but looks like you have a little growing up to do.
    On the contrary, I think it's high time that people who know the law push it to it's extremes. I for one am tired of hearing how we should restrict ourselves far beyond the legal requirements, just so we don't rattle anyone's cage. This is exactly why the CHPD didn't know OC is legal in the first place. It's why hoplophobia is as wide spread as it is. It is no doubt why our 2A rights have been allowed to be eroded over the last century. Surely you've heard the saying "A right un-exercised is a right lost."
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

5. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    This "baiting the police" accusation is becoming tiresome. In what part of the video did it seem that his purpose for OCing that day was to bait the police? In what way did he "disrespect the police"? What attitude did he give the police? And BTW, so freakin' what if his intention was to capture footage of the police detaining him illegally? If he wasn't breaking any laws (which he was not) there was absolutely no reason to detain or even ask for ID. Really? Let me ask you, if an officer comes to your door and asks to come inside even though he has no warrant or reasonable suspicion that there is any criminal activity, are you going to "cooperate in any way possible"? Considering the CHPD settled on the lawsuit, I think it's pretty safe to say that they realized that they did in fact break the law.On the contrary, I think it's high time that people who know the law push it to it's extremes. I for one am tired of hearing how we should restrict ourselves far beyond the legal requirements, just so we don't rattle anyone's cage. This is exactly why the CHPD didn't know OC is legal in the first place. It's why hoplophobia is as wide spread as it is. It is no doubt why our 2A rights have been allowed to be eroded over the last century. Surely you've heard the saying "A right un-exercised is a right lost."
    Amen!
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

6. We need to remember that the police have an agenda. They are there to charge people with crimes. If you are too cooperative, they will find something to charge us with. "Be polite, be professional, dont allow them to take advantage of you"
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

7. Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Im having mixed emotions on this one as well...Seems to be you baited the police like 2beararms said. I live in Michigan where Open carry is also legal, but I dont OC [as of now] in fear of having that same situation happening to me. I feel in many ways you disrespected the police in this encounter. OC isnt to just walk around the block hoping a policeman would stop you. If anything you should be going about your every day business. Id question whether the police are doing their jobs or not if they didnt at least confront you for at least your ID. I agree the manner in which they approached you was a tad bit off, then again, the attitude you gave them was totally wrong as well.
    You should cooperate with them in anyway possible, not mouth off to them. Im all for the 2nd Amendment, but you asked for that one. They didnt break the law by any means, if anything the were making sure they were safe, and you werent able to resist or reach for your weapon, but then again, I cant remember the last time a thug or a BG wore a weapon in an OWB Holster.

Id go about it smarter next time and try not to provoke the police. I hate to say it, but looks like you have a little growing up to do.
    Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile.

So what if the guy in this situtation was walking around for a stroll in the neighborhood? He was within his legal right to open carry without question. The police also did not have the legal right to conduct themselves in the way they did. If you allow police to enforce their own beliefs vs. the actual law, then you are effectively allowing a dangerous status quo.

I'm glad he prosecuted these scum to the fullest extent of the law. Police can be keepers of the peace, but they can also be like typical high school bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    ...I'm glad he prosecuted these scum to the fullest extent of the law...
    Well, they weren't exactly prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. It was settled out of court. The best part about the whole thing is that the PD was required to educate their officers about the legality of OC and how to conduct themselves when they come upon someone who is doing it.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

wolfhunter Guest
    The MOST reaction this MWAG incident should have received was a patrol car to the scene, a polite stop and identify, and a departure. No law was broken, the guy was legally allowed to be where he was and carrying in a lawfully allowed manner.

Anything beyond "Excuse us sir, but we received a call stating there was a man with a gun, and we have to investigate. May we see your ID? (Check for outstanding warrants)Ok, Mr. Xxxxxx, you have a nice day." is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    The MOST reaction this MWAG incident should have received was a patrol car to the scene, a polite stop and identify, and a departure. No law was broken, the guy was legally allowed to be where he was and carrying in a lawfully allowed manner.

Anything beyond "Excuse us sir, but we received a call stating there was a man with a gun, and we have to investigate. May we see your ID? (Check for outstanding warrants)Ok, Mr. Xxxxxx, you have a nice day." is unnecessary.
    Even that is too far. Sure they may ask, but they may not detain you if you choose to not produce it. And as noted HERE, in PA this scenario has been addressed in a memo. I don't know if OH LEOs have been issued similar memos, but the concept is universal. No RAS, no stop and ID.

WOW- i dont want to disrespect the person that made this post but YOU ARE AN IDIOT and you have to be of the NON MINORITY decent- that isnt a racist comment but SON YOU HAVE SOME BALLS and this was complete waste of time- We all know the laws- and im sure the police do to, but who does this. WHAT IS THE POINT- if i see a person walking around "open carry" no badge, no credentials- ill be straight up honest with you, my first concern as a concealed carry holder is, man this idiot is about to snap and kill someone. I'd be on edge, im on edge when ive notice another civilian is concealed carry, not that im looking for it, but sometimes my trained eye has noticed that someone else is carrying. I have been held at gunpoint by police in a walgreens parking lot when a store clerk who was following me through the store, noticed i had a concealed firearm after i leaned over to pick something off the bottom shelf, horrible experience and ill tell you POLICE AND CIVILIANS WITH GUNS can be a lethal mix- if the police are alerted by the general public that you have a gun- My personal opinion of you and this video- COMPLETE STUPIDITY, NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TIME, the police are doing exactly what they should have done- SOMEONE CALLED THEM TO REPORT A MAN WALKING AROUND WITH A GUN- were they supposed to shake your hand not knowing if you were some crazed cracked out fool??? CMON SON- spend your time doing something else, like i said, this is my opinion- and i dont know you- i just know i have a lot more important things to do then walk around and screw with society and the police

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast