Giant Food Stores
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant Food Stores

Giant Food Stores

I recently went to my local Giant Food Store, OC'ing. Unlike the last time I was there, there was a sign placed informing customers that unless they were not law enforcement officers, they were prohibited from carrying any weapons in the store.

Apparently, a few weeks ago, another OC'er was in the Pottstown, PA store, doing the usual grocery shopping, and was told by the manager to leave. Now all stores do not allow weapons - OC or CC.

I know this is a private property issue, not a rights issue. I would just like to hear some of your comments on this.

Write a letter to the store's corporate office and ask them if it is true and why??
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

In my neck of the woods there is a "Food Giant", not sure if they are affiliated in anyway with "Giant Food Stores"... haven't noticed any signs. I would take my business elsewhere if there were.

In TEXAS, in order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain exact and specific language.

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

i. includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    ii. appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    iii. is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    So, in TEXAS, unless a store posts a 30.06 sign that follows those specific requirements—a Texas CHL holder can simply ignore any other sign attempting to prohibit the lawful carry of a concealed hadgun.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

I'm assuming it was the Giant whose logo is all orange/ black letters, and not the one whose logo is red letters and a big blue "G"?

I like the idea of handing out "No Guns = No Money" cards. Just have to find or make some that pertain to PA.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

My response would be that as long as they don't have metal detectors at the entrance, and it's not against the law to carry there, and your state doesn't give signs the force of law in places that are otherwise legal, then carry concealed. How are they gonna know if they don't enforce their policy?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

8. Ohio CCW

We have a club here in Ohio called " Ohioans For Concealed Carry". Our members routinely pass out cards to businesses who place a sign in their window banning carry in their store. The card reminds them that we ae law abiding citizens, trained in legal carry and if they do not wish to abide by our state law and our CHL then we will take our business elsewhere.For more information please contact them at Ohioans For Concealed Carry - The Premier Gun Rights Organization in Ohio Since 1999 - Home.

Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post

I know this is a private property issue, not a rights issue. I would just like to hear some of your comments on this.
    My comment is I always CCW and never OC. I totally understand how Grandma would be upset with some guy with a gun strapped to his hip, and I don't blame the retailer just trying to stay in business with O screwing up the economy.

Fortunately my state allows me wide latitude in where I can CCW, so I don't alarm anyone and I am protected almost all the time. I also carry to protect myself and my loved ones, and not to make a statement. I make no apologies for that either.

I can CCW, so I don't alarm anyone and I am protected almost all the time. I also carry to protect myself and my loved ones, and not to make a statement. I make no apologies for that either.[/QUOTE]

+1 This is precisely why I choose to CC. Well stated Stiofan!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    My comment is I always CCW and never OC. I totally understand how Grandma would be upset with some guy with a gun strapped to his hip, and I don't blame the retailer just trying to stay in business with O screwing up the economy.
    That's your decision to CC where legally allowed. However, I have to dispute your "Grandma" analogy. Grandma probably sees police officers carry weapons all the time. A citizen who is legally OC'ing is just as safe (probably more so -- you have a better chance of accidentally being shot by a cop).

That, and if Grandma is upset at someone with a gun on his hip, she might also be upset at someone with green hair, a loud motorcycle, rap music, etc., and yet we can all enjoy these things.

I choose to OC most of the time to both protect myself AND to make the statement that there is no reason to fear a gun -- just the person who is using it in an evil manner.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast