First Time Open Carry
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Open Carry

First Time Open Carry

Well, just for giggles, I thought I'd try open carry this past weekend. I had become more and more intrigued by the arguments for it and figured I'd give it a try. What I found: I liked it. No worries about concealment, printing, etc. Just go. No one in any public place which I frequented said anything. It did generate a discussion of 2A rights with some friends (all hunters who don't carry at all). Nothing wrong with a little discussion of your constitutional rights. So, it was all good. I intend to do it more.

That must be the element of surprise that so many talk about:

SURPRISE! It's easier, nobody tends to notice, those that do tend to notice and ask usually go away with a little bit of education.

Congratulations for coming out of the closet!

Didn't recall that you open carried, NavyLT. It was cool to "come out of the closet". I thought I was gonna be more concerned about it than I was. Basically, a non-issue so far. And I'll deal with it if it ever becomes an issue with anybody. It's a good opportunity to spread a little "freedom awareness".

Oh yeah, I am a die hard (and sarcastic ) open carrier!

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Well, just for giggles,

Jeeez.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by NCjones View Post
    Jeeez.
    Is that avatar picture of yours a fired PMC Starfire slug?

The first time you open carry, it's nerve wracking. You have all sorts of expectations of people staring at you while calling the police, etc.

The reality is that most people won't even notice. I've been OC'ing for quite a while now, and have had only four people ask me about it, and no police encounters so far.

OC is just a normal part of my life now. It's actually surprising to me when someone even notices.

Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post
    The first time you open carry, it's nerve wracking. You have all sorts of expectations of people staring at you while calling the police, etc.

The reality is that most people won't even notice. I've been OC'ing for quite a while now, and have had only four people ask me about it, and no police encounters so far.

OC is just a normal part of my life now. It's actually surprising to me when someone even notices.
    Between the sheep (notice but too timid to ask), the "minding their own business types" (notice, but hey, live and let live), and the completely oblivous (gun? what gun?), the odds of someone saying something to you are probably pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Between the sheep (notice but too timid to ask), the "minding their own business types" (notice, but hey, live and let live), and the completely oblivous (gun? what gun?), the odds of someone saying something to you are probably pretty low.
    Try that here in MA Sheep... Oh yea... See how they run...

I want to so bad, but it's not a traditional open carry state. Yea I know just do it and make it happen.
    I kinda sometimes flirt with it when I have my OWB holsters on. I just have a flannel shirt, unbuttoned and sometimes hey it opens. I just don't want it to be made into an issue that would affect my keeping the license.

I can imagine the patriots here meeting in the taverns and pubs to discuss the revolt some 240 years ago. Just walk in with a rifle and perhaps a pistol in their belts. Guns lined up along side the table. They sit down and no one looks at you like "What the hell are you doing in here with THAT?!!"

Sigh... Perhaps someday in my lifetime.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I've open carried numerous of times, it's no biggie after you get past the "everyone's watching me" syndrome. Now there are some states like Connecticut and cities like Philadelphia where I won't even dare try! I'll need to see more "test cases" first. The cool thing about states with comfortable open-carry is that I can use my OWB holster, which is much more comfortable in comparison to the IWB holster I would use in places like Philly or Connecticut. Plus, I am not constantly hand checking my firearm when I am exiting a vehicle or gettiing up from a chair.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast