Denial of CC permit due to OMMP registration - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denial of CC permit due to OMMP registration

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    I respectfully agree with the county. I feel that mixing drugs and firearms is generally a very dangerous idea. Welcome to the site!
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I'm gonna put this out there for consideration. Not that I'm agreeing one way or another as that's up to the state to make the final decision in accordance with local laws.

Let's say that a person is on prescription pain killers, ADD meds, or some other type of prescription drug that would make the average person do things that they normally wouldn't do. Should this person be denied based on the fact that they are under the care of a licensed physician and are taking prescription medications as directed by the physician?

Just some food for thought.

gf
    Yes, I believe that any person taking a medication that alters a state of consciousness or imapirs the ability to drive or operate machinary should not carry a gun. I would not object to gun ownership but carrying should be prohibited. A person who causes a death or serious injury in a car accident while driving under the influence of a prescription drug can still be charged with DUI.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Yes, I believe that any person taking a medication that alters a state of consciousness or imapirs the ability to drive or operate machinary should not carry a gun. I would not object to gun ownership but carrying should be prohibited. A person who causes a death or serious injury in a car accident while driving under the influence of a prescription drug can still be charged with DUI.
    Why? The state permits people to grow and use marijuana with their licensing regime. How can you deny them one thing they are statutorily allowed based on another that is permitted? It's hypocritical to issue people carry permits despite widespread consumption of alcohol (a mind altering intoxicant) simply because the feds have decided marijuana is more evil. The state should just pass a law that forbids intoxication while carrying a firearm. The law here in Maryland allows for consumption of alcohol while carrying, just not intoxication. If you are too intoxicated to carry, you are too intoxicated to drive and vice versa.

It would be interesting to hear an update on this...especially since the state courts recently determined that having an OMMP card is not justification for denying a CHL...

It (still) surprises me how many on this forum dedicated to 2nd Amendment rights are so quickly willing to deny those rights to others...

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    It would be interesting to hear an update on this...especially since the state courts recently determined that having an OMMP card is not justification for denying a CHL...

It (still) surprises me how many on this forum dedicated to 2nd Amendment rights are so quickly willing to deny those rights to others...
    I am surprised that Bighouse Doc hasn't chimed in on this thread.

The important thing to remember is that just like with alcohol, pain killers, etc.; just because they are licensed to use marijuana does not mean they will be high all the time.

By this logic, anyone over 21 should be denied a CHL because they can legally drink alcohol.

I don't believe anyone should carry while under the influence of any mind-altering substance, but that doesn't mean a person should be denied the right to defend themselves the rest of the time.

To say so is stupid at best, and likely hypocritical as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    "Life is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12