Non-resident permit
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Non-resident permit

  1. #1

    Non-resident permit

    Hey all

    Hoping someone can give me info on non-resident carry licenses for PA. I am a NYS pistol license holder and wish to obtain my PA license as well.

    Some people I shoot with have recommended that I apply with Centre County. However, on another post on this site, someone commented that their license from that county is just a piece of paper. I am spoiled (in a NY gun laws suck, but this is about as good as it gets kind of way) in my county in NY that the license is printed on a plastic "credit card" and is not subject to the dangers of clothes washers that paper permits are.

    Are there other countys that are non-resident friendly that offer a more modern license?

    Thank you,


  3. #2
    You may find it easier to get a non-resident permit from New Hampshire. The New Hampshire permit is honored by Pennsylvania. They only require a valid permit from another state and $20. Their turn-around is now running about 1 month (from phone call).
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster
    EDC BUF: LCP, Crimson Trace LaserGuard in DeSantis Super Fly holster

  4. #3


    I just got my PA renewal a few weeks back. I'm also in upstate NY. My first license from PA was both the paper sheet (about 3x6) but they also sent me a shrunken laminated version to carry. This time around I didn't get the small version. I made a high quality wallet size copy and laminated it for carry. If I need to go to PA I'll take the original with me. When I get around to it I'll call the Centre County Sheriff's office and see if this would be OK.


  5. #4

    Talking Centre County PA

    I just got off the phone with the CC PA sheriff's office. It is perfectly ok to shrink down the license to 60% and laminate it. This is what they do for resident licenses.


  6. #5
    I just got my NH Res permit and i am looking to get my PA permit. Is there a link i can get the forum from? Or do i have to call them and ask? NH Res permits are paper as well.


  7. #6
    Centre County seems to be the most popular for non-res permits. Their website is Centre County Government: Sheriff: License to Carry Firearm Application. The application is attached.

    I have gotten my NH non-res (plastic card), but have not gotten the PA license. I'm not sure if I will or not.

    Good luck.


  8. #7
    Sending my application out now. Lets see what happens.
    Thanks for all the info.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Quote Originally Posted by pistol pete View Post
    Sending my application out now. Lets see what happens.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Good luck. Hope you get your permit in a reasonable amount of time.

    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  10. #9
    I LOVE PA. Sent out application on 10/24 recieved my permit today 10/30.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by pistol pete View Post
    I LOVE PA. Sent out application on 10/24 recieved my permit today 10/30.
    Hedy Pete I am a nys resident also, I live in Rockland county ny I just applied and was denied and the reason given was that I needed a "non restricted permit".

    My current permit is for buisness security,home,sportsman What does your nys permit say on it

    Are there any other nys residents with a non resident pa permit,if yes what does your permit say

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts