Firearms and vehicles - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firearms and vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Curmudgeon,

Thanks for your input. I would like to add, that a bicycle is also considered a "vehicle" in PA, and as such would require a LTCF in either an open or concealed carry manner. I've had many a discussion with people on this. One just needs to read PA 18 CS 6106 (Section 6109 - Title 18 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES) and know the definition of vehicle in the Motor Vehicle Code.

This is why I urge anyone who open carries to get a LTCF to cover their butt.

Indeed, however, the definition for vehicle I used was not found in the motor vehicle code as it does not apply
    in the statutes...

pa2a.org - Wiki - 1 Pa.C.S. 1991. Definitions, general

1 Pa.C.S 1991. Definitions.

The following words and phrases, when used in any statute finally enacted on or after September 1,

1937, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, shall have the meanings given to them in this

section:

<skip>

"Vehicle." A conveyance in or on which persons or property may be carried.

Here is the one from the Vehicle Code:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...e/chapter1.pdf

"Vehicle."

Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or

may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices used exclusively

upon rails or tracks. The term does not include a self-propelled wheelchair

or an electrical mobility device operated by and designed for the exclusive

use of a person with a mobility-related disability.
    I am not a lawyer, and I'm not sure how to apply the difference in a practical way as an
    experienced attorney might, but those differences might become significant under certain
    circumstances. The PA Vehicle Code makes and exception for trains, the definition in
    the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes does not.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Thanks for the clarification... that's why I love these forums, especially when you find someone who has done their research well.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Thanks for the clarification... that's why I love these forums, especially when you find someone who has done their research well.
    Thanks for the compliment, but all I am doing is passing along information, research, links, and citations of law that I have found on
    this and other forums.
    This is exactly how I learned. Like you I saw the incredible value in it and I'm trying to pass it along for others the way it was done for me.

Invaluable, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by HD-kutz View Post
    Pennsylvania has no concealed permit. It has a licence to carry firearms which allows you to conceal or print or partially conceal. To carry in a vehicle you need a LTCF and then you may conceal, partly conceal, carry owb lay it on the seat or hang it from your earrings. Pa has no brandishing law if somebody happens to see it and you are not threatening somebody with it.

Codes only tell you what you can't do not what you can do.
    It does say license to carry but it's for concealed only, open carry requires no permit or even an ID of any kind. If you're not breaking a law then you don't even have to respond to police. Like you say though, if it's not stated be illegal in title 18 or title 75 then it's not illegal, it's what you can't do not what you can do. You can walk down the street with your pistol open carried and you do not need ANY permit or ID and you can even sling a rifle over your shoulder and carry that down the street with no ID or permit of any kind. Both actions are legal. They changed the title of the permit to license to carry but it is for concealed carry because to conceal carry you need a license in pa. that's why you don't need anything to open carry. You're right about in a car even hanging it from your ears lol. good point.

In addition to conceal-carry the LTCF allows for:
    Carrying open or concealed during a declared state of emergency (which is currently in effect in PA),
    Open-carry and conceal-carry in Philadelphia,
    Open-carry and conceal-carry in a vehicle
    Open-carry and conceal-carry within the federal 1000' gun free school zones.

Not just for "concealed only". ;)

7. This sentence is from the PA. State Police Website, A License to Carry Firearms is issued to carry a firearm concealed on ones person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. More detailed info is there and should be completely read and understood. but I hope that helps.

8. My understanding is, "yes". In PA one can have a loaded handgun in one's vehicle (not on one's person) IF one has a PA LTCF.
    The cover letter that accompanied my LTCF from the Sheriff's Office specifically cautions against leaving a CCW weapon unattended in one's car as a bad idea. It is advised against, but it is NOT forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    My understanding is, "yes". In PA one can have a loaded handgun in one's vehicle (not on one's person) IF one has a PA LTCF.
    The cover letter that accompanied my LTCF from the Sheriff's Office specifically cautions against leaving a CCW weapon unattended in one's car as a bad idea. It is advised against, but it is NOT forbidden.
    Correction - yes you can have a loaded handgun on your person in or on a vehicle, open or concealed, or any way you choose.

I do agree that leaving any gun in a car is a bad idea simply because cars are so easily broken into and/or stolen, and even though there
    are many safe-type devices available I refuse to do it. In the event I am forced to take my handgun to my car, I am leaving where ever I
    am, WITH my firearm. In the past 5 1/2 years it has not been an issue.

If any confusion or doubt remains, please just say so. I am subscribed to this thread, I will be emailed about your response, I will provide
    any sources or citations that might assist you. I have a busy weekend planned so bear with me.

Wow...you need a license to carry a firearm in Pennsylvania...in a car too? Unfrickin believable. Boy do I love Virginia! Do the gang bangers in Philly or Pittsburgh give a rats butt about a carry license. I bet they drive around the hood all day long with loaded 9's and 40's. Do your state politicians know that the ones they were trying to prevent from carrying weapons in their cars are not obeying the law. How much safer is Pennsylvania now that you guys that always obey the law continued to obey the laws after they became law? Unreal!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12