Stopped by Police with concealed carry - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: Stopped by Police with concealed carry

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    Are you making a habit of being pulled over?
    Did you realize that you were replying to a post that was over 1 1/2 years old?!?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  2.   
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    small town in SE Pa
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    How the hell is your concealed firearm going to affect the officer in any way shape or form if he never knows it is there?
    Without the aggressiveness that you show me with your question.. I just said IM going to give the cop the courtesy of letting him know that there is a weapon in the car, its not concealed. I have two close friends who are State Highway patrol officers, and they say it " Is a courtesy that they always appreciate "... Does he have to know its there...No... its my choice to tell him, not your authority to tell me not too because of your beliefs. If you were an actual rocket scientist you might get the idea about co-operation and courtesy... I don't look at cops with the same distain that you do... I've yet to meet a cop, that was not respectful and courteous to me.
    Are there bad cops with attitude... sure there are, but it has not been my personal experience , so Ill keep my respectful attitude, because most of them deserve it.. Trying to keep a level head here, The problem I've seen here is that some people have different views then you, do. You keep your views and Ill keep mine... Had you asked me why I choose to tell the cop, it would have been a much less aggressive tone.. THis ( " How the hell is your concealed firearm going to affect the officer in any way shape or form if he never knows it is there?" ) has a much more aggressive tone, as if you are attacking my position . You certainly have a right to your opinion on not revealing your carry... But I also have the right to reveal it...if courtesy is my reason then , respect that as my choice ...

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    small town in SE Pa
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Not sure how it's disrespectful to remain silent when dealing with good and bad cops...

    Definitely doesn't help when people enable the bad cops power hungry entitlement.

    Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app
    Not sure if you are talking to me but I will answer as if your post was directed to me.... I didn't say it was disrespectful not to tell the cop.. I said it was a respectful and a courtesy to do so.. I do respect their position.. and I believe its a courtesy to let them know.. My position is based on two of my close friends who are State troopers.
    If anyone chooses not to inform a cop that they are carrying, I don't think that is wrong, or disrespectful... I respect their position in doing so because they don't have too. Again, trying to add an opinion without getting into a pissing contest.

    IM going to add one more thing because I saw it in another post here where someone asked about " being in the habit of getting pulled over "..
    I've been driving for 55 years. I've been stopped 7 times for various things.. sustained driving in the left lane of a multi lane highway, dark tinted license plate cover, excessive speed, etc. I've never received a single ticket.. always a warning... I owe that to attitude....

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by ET View Post
    Not sure if you are talking to me but I will answer as if your post was directed to me.... I didn't say it was disrespectful not to tell the cop.. I said it was a respectful and a courtesy to do so.. I do respect their position.. and I believe its a courtesy to let them know.. My position is based on two of my close friends who are State troopers.
    If anyone chooses not to inform a cop that they are carrying, I don't think that is wrong, or disrespectful... I respect their position in doing so because they don't have too. Again, trying to add an opinion without getting into a pissing contest.

    IM going to add one more thing because I saw it in another post here where someone asked about " being in the habit of getting pulled over "..
    I've been driving for 55 years. I've been stopped 7 times for various things.. sustained driving in the left lane of a multi lane highway, dark tinted license plate cover, excessive speed, etc. I've never received a single ticket.. always a warning... I owe that to attitude....
    Quote Originally Posted by ET View Post
    ... give the good ones the same disrespect and attitude they would give to a bad cop...
    The reason I responded with remaining silent, is because 99% of the don't trust cops side have never advised being disrespectful. They advise remaining silent. There has been one other member that has stated distrust (remaining silent) is disrespect. I don't differentiate between the good or bad, because it's impossible to know until I drive away.

    Do you have anything in response to enabling the bad cops?

    Btw, Stan45 was responding to cowbilly and not you, when asking about making it a habit. Not to say you can't respond, but it wasn't a snarky question towards you. You did the same thing to me when you responded to a post addressed to Axe. Fortunately, whatever has cooled your jets recently, your response to Stan wasn't inappropriate.

    Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. Again I see this statement about how dangerous being a cop is.
    Do these same people inform truck drivers and/or 7-11 clerks they are armed?
    Both have more dangerous jobs according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
    In fact, I can't find a single year where they were even in the top ten and most cop deaths come from auto accidents. (Most from their own bad driving)

    I'll stop now, before I get myself in trouble and get classed as a "cop basher", I realize no one is allowed to question in any way the "heros" in blue.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by ET View Post
    Without the aggressiveness that you show me with your question.. I just said IM going to give the cop the courtesy of letting him know that there is a weapon in the car, its not concealed. I have two close friends who are State Highway patrol officers, and they say it " Is a courtesy that they always appreciate "... Does he have to know its there...No... its my choice to tell him, not your authority to tell me not too because of your beliefs. If you were an actual rocket scientist you might get the idea about co-operation and courtesy... I don't look at cops with the same distain that you do... I've yet to meet a cop, that was not respectful and courteous to me.
    Are there bad cops with attitude... sure there are, but it has not been my personal experience , so Ill keep my respectful attitude, because most of them deserve it.. Trying to keep a level head here, The problem I've seen here is that some people have different views then you, do. You keep your views and Ill keep mine... Had you asked me why I choose to tell the cop, it would have been a much less aggressive tone.. THis ( " How the hell is your concealed firearm going to affect the officer in any way shape or form if he never knows it is there?" ) has a much more aggressive tone, as if you are attacking my position . You certainly have a right to your opinion on not revealing your carry... But I also have the right to reveal it...if courtesy is my reason then , respect that as my choice ...
    Do you extend the same courtesy to anyone else? When you walk into a convenience store where there is one or two clerks working alone, do you inform them? Why not? They don't know if you are there to buy a drink or shove a gun in their face for $50 from the drawer. Would you tell a cab driver if you ever had to use a cab? You are alone in the vehicle with them, wouldn't it be equally as courteous to them to know about your gun?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    small town in SE Pa
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Do you extend the same courtesy to anyone else? When you walk into a convenience store where there is one or two clerks working alone, do you inform them? Why not? They don't know if you are there to buy a drink or shove a gun in their face for $50 from the drawer. Would you tell a cab driver if you ever had to use a cab? You are alone in the vehicle with them, wouldn't it be equally as courteous to them to know about your gun?
    You are trying to be argumentative... Again... Do you think you are going to change my mind? I asked you to accept my opinion on the subject.., I didn't try to convince you that your way was wrong.. and offer reasons to change your mind.. I asked you to be courteous of my opinion... which you completely ignored. IM sitting in my car...my weapon in a holster visible from the passengers side without a problem and possibly visible from an angle outside the car... So telling him before he sees it and react negatively, which might be wrong on his part but a smart person would avoid such an encounter.. and to answer your other point I would no sooner be walking down the street and go out of my way to tell every cop I pass that I'm armed.. But I didn't want to be argumentative... AS I said I would hoping that you accept my reasoning.. but you chose to make ridicules statements about merchants in stores , .. When a cop stops me for a possible infraction of the law, it doesn't need to be escalated by him having to see a weapon in my car he is stopping for some reason. Even if he suspects me of something like a stolen car etc.. because my car fit the description of a stolen car. Store merchants are not expecting that Im a problem.. but a cop who stops me, does it for a reason... I cant believe that you can't see that reasoning... Ive been on this earth a long time, and it blows my mind as to how narrow minded some people can be.

    You are retired Navy... IM retired Army.. back in the 60's we were given a Military ID number.. which I remember very well. in the 70's that number turned into our Social security number... then last year they took the Social security number off our ID card and gave us a New Military ID number, so we can fly Military, use our Tricare for life medical benefits, and all of our retired benefits.. Did you argue with the DOD when they changed your ID number? You don't seem to like it when the government puts you in their control group... I find it hard to fathom that you had a career in the Navy and are so against the established system and find it hard to follow military manner because its not contained specifically in the Constitution. You either buckled under in the Navy or you got kicked out.. BTW the Philadelphia Navy Yard and the Philadelphia Naval hospital at that time ( gone Now ) and NAVSIS was about the best duty possible, Philly being named one of the ten best cities to visit in the world... I know I got off topic there... its the meds... but you seem to be a rebellious personality.. which is something a career military officer does not have in his DNA.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by ET View Post
    You are trying to be argumentative... Again... Do you think you are going to change my mind? I asked you to accept my opinion on the subject.., I didn't try to convince you that your way was wrong.. and offer reasons to change your mind.. I asked you to be courteous of my opinion... which you completely ignored. IM sitting in my car...my weapon in a holster visible from the passengers side without a problem and possibly visible from an angle outside the car... So telling him before he sees it and react negatively, which might be wrong on his part but a smart person would avoid such an encounter.. and to answer your other point I would no sooner be walking down the street and go out of my way to tell every cop I pass that I'm armed.. But I didn't want to be argumentative... AS I said I would hoping that you accept my reasoning.. but you chose to make ridicules statements about merchants in stores , .. When a cop stops me for a possible infraction of the law, it doesn't need to be escalated by him having to see a weapon in my car he is stopping for some reason. Even if he suspects me of something like a stolen car etc.. because my car fit the description of a stolen car. Store merchants are not expecting that Im a problem.. but a cop who stops me, does it for a reason... I cant believe that you can't see that reasoning... Ive been on this earth a long time, and it blows my mind as to how narrow minded some people can be.
    How can I be argumentative when I asked you to clarify the extent of your "courteousness"?

    So the real reason is that you are in fear of the officer escalating the situation if you aren't "courteous" to them first. I see. How do you know the convenience store clerk is not concerned that you will be a problem when you walk through the door?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by kenochs View Post
    As an act of good faith, I would always disclose a firearm to LE if I am stopped. I do not currently CC, but I am applying for my permit. If the cop turns out to be a douche, than so be it. But I will act responsibly at all times.

    We have rights, but also responsibilities.
    Truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    if the cop is a douche and many of them are, you could find your self being harassed, arrested or at the worst dead, why bring the subject up unless it is required by law?
    I joined just to respond to you mainly. Yes, I know this comment/thread is old, but it didn't look like much movement in the PA thread anyways.

    I've been stopped 4 times while carrying. I always tell them out of respect. My bro is LEO & my dad is retired LEO. They don't know who the hell they just pulled over. They don't know if you're just heading to the store, work, or leaving a house you just robbed. Plus, your demeanor & attitude tells a lot from the start.

    I shut off my engine, roll the window down and place my hands on the door at the window opening. As they approach I speak first, "for your safety & mine, just letting you know I'm armed & licensed to be". I tell them where my gun & holster are.

    Out of the 4 times:

    1. In NV, I had let my registration expire. My fault, got pulled over for it & I did the above. The 2 officers asked me to step out, don't touch the firearm, they checked my license, name, firearm & I was on my way without a no registration ticket. They thanked me for letting them know without finding it 'the hard way'.

    2. In NV, I was pulled over for speeding. My fault, got caught & I did the above. The officer thanked me for letting him know I was armed and I was on my way with a much less "speed over posted" written on the ticket. Pretty much a fix it and no points on my DL.

    3. In NV, I was pulled over for an illegal U turn. My fault, didn't see the sign, & I did the above. This one was NHP, he flipped, asked all kinds of questions as to why I was carrying & who I was afraid of. In the end, he ticketed me & handed back my pistol & mag with a zip tie through the slide then told me not to cut the zip tie until he was out of my sight. He over reacted a little in my mind, but again... he didn't know who I was or what kind of person I am. I wasn't harassed, arrested or dead; but he was kind of a punk about it. Doesn't matter, I was wrong & got a ticket & was leaving with my firearm.

    4. In PA, a friend of mine & I were heading home after a day on trails in the woods on our RZRs. We got stopped at a sobriety check point. As we rolled up to the line of officers I had the window down, hands on the sill, & told him I was carrying, where it was, & handed him my CCW & DL. As his partner checked on all of that we talked about handguns. What kind I had, how I liked it, how he preferred whatever over mine yadda, yadda. We were on our way without hassle & they thanked me for letting them know before finding it the 'hard way'.

    If ever pulled over I will continue to be first to speak and letting them know I am carrying even if it isn't the law. It isn't out of fear of cops, it is out of respect. Maybe because I have LEO in the family & I see it differently. But I'm not one to pop off as they walk up harassing them as to why they pulled me over, don't they have some murders to go catch, etc etc.

  11. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasJ View Post
    Truth.



    I joined just to respond to you mainly. Yes, I know this comment/thread is old, but it didn't look like much movement in the PA thread anyways.

    I've been stopped 4 times while carrying. I always tell them out of respect.
    a dog will pee on itself to show that it is submissive to another dog or it's owner, do you pee in your pants to show that you are subservient to an authority figure?

    If the law requires notification I do what is required by law, even if I disagree with the law.
    if notification is not required I have no reason or obligation to tell a cop anything.
    Here in FL case law says that I could put my drivers license, car registration and proof of insurance into a baggie like container and hold it up to my window to give the cop the necessary info during a traffic stop. I do not have to answer his questions I do not have to allow him to interview me.

    If you are comfortable in allowing your rights to be trampled with your consent that is sad, but you can STFU as soon as you try and tell me how to conduct myself
    WARNING:
    This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast