PA Non-resident permits
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA Non-resident permits

PA Non-resident permits

Nov 13, 2013. I just talked to a clerk at Sheriff Nau's office (Centre County), because I had received a notice I had to appear in person to renew my permit. She said that was a change in state law. She also said PA would recognize the llinois carry permits when they (finally) are issued, but my FOID card was good now for concealed carry in PA. Because the FOID card requirements would get me a permit in 20 or so states, I guess.

I am concerned that you may have been misinformed. An FOID is not a "carry permit", and this clerks opinion
    won't carry any weight against that of a law enforcement officer, DA, or judge.

Get a carry permit/license. Get one from Illinois, get one from PA, or possible one from Utah, which PA will
    honor but you won't have to travel to obtain it. You should be aware that a Utah or even Illinois permit will
    not satisfy the requirements of the federal 1000' Gun Free School Zone Act, but most folks aren't real concerned
    about that. I am unaware of any prosecutions under the GFSZA, but it's something to be aware of.

Do you ever travel to PA? If so, you may be able to arrange to mail in a completed application to Sheriff Nau's office
    a month or so before your trip to PA, and then just pick it up while you're here. Many Counties are allowing exactly
    this so folks only have to make one in-person trip to the Sheriff's Office. If he won't do it there are others that will,
    like mine for example (York County). In fact, the renewal I have right in front of me specifically tells me to do it this
    way. The law does indeed require you to appear in person, but the statute doesn't require that you appear twice.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/illin...nsylvania.html

My response was in your other post that you started. It still is true. The FOID does not give you a permit... even if it did, IL permits are not accepted in PA. Read my post on your other thread for links to show this is true.

And yes, you must appear in person for your licensing here in PA. I echo Curmudgeon's response that you may want to contact the Sheriff to see if mailing in your app is acceptable.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quick question to all. Time to renew my Pa non-resident permit. I will actually in Pa in June in the Tioga county but after calling their Sheriffs office they do not do non-resident permits anymore.(their choice) Any other Sheriffs offices close by that are non resident friendly. Coming to ride and sight see the PA Grand Canyon from North to South. Figure I could print off app and have it ready to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fxstchawg View Post
    Quick question to all. Time to renew my Pa non-resident permit. I will actually in Pa in June in the Tioga county but after calling their Sheriffs office they do not do non-resident permits anymore.(their choice) Any other Sheriffs offices close by that are non resident friendly. Coming to ride and sight see the PA Grand Canyon from North to South. Figure I could print off app and have it ready to go. Any help would be appreciated.
    This should help: Firearm/Gun Information for Each Pennsylvania County

Also, you will want to sent that renewal in and then they will send you a card to bring in to have your picture taken. At least this is what I had to do as a resident. I've been told by the Sheriff's dept., the same is true for non-residents. Find a county on that list that is friendly to NR (non-residents) and call them as to their specific protocol.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    This should help: Firearm/Gun Information for Each Pennsylvania County

Also, you will want to sent that renewal in and then they will send you a card to bring in to have your picture taken. At least this is what I had to do as a resident. I've been told by the Sheriff's dept., the same is true for non-residents. Find a county on that list that is friendly to NR (non-residents) and call them as to their specific protocol.

^Yes, I know York county works that way, and I have *heard* York does nonresident apps, although they are all supposed to and have no authority to refuse that I am aware of.
    I wish I could rattle off a list of those that do, especially in the western part of the state.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Oh, and you will have to appear in person at least once. They want your picture in their new system, or some such.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    although they are all supposed to and have no authority to refuse that I am aware of.

Correct...no authority at all to refuse non-resident applications.

Will do my research beforehand to see what counties I will be traveling through and which are Non-resident friendly. I have always used centre county in the past but with the new rules and having to appear in person. Two counties that I am traveling through have in no uncertain terms told me they DO NOT renew nonresident. Tioga county and Clinton.

As a Delaware resident, I went to Lancaster County and having checked online what is required including $20, I had my plastic (no more paper) NR permit in hand in twenty minutes. Very cordial, helpful and friendly. Time it takes will depend on how many are ahead of you. Between Delaware and Pennsylvania, I may drop my Arizona permit and definitely will drop Virginia. Only other choice I would make at this point is Utah.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast