Hate crime law attached to military spending bill!!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hate crime law attached to military spending bill!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    What kind of "acts' are targeted that are not ALREADY targeted by existing law? I mean, if I beat the sh#t out of you because you're gay, I think I can currently be charged with aggravated assault, attempted murder, etc. So, WHAT'S DIFFERENT? Something stinks, here...as frikkin' usual.
    JJ - It allows the prosecutor to increase the penalty against you, because of what you were thinking, for your motive for the crime..
    But in reality, what happens is they start transferring it from "hate crime" to "Hate Speech" -
    For one example: If a minister reads from Romans in the new testament where it talks against homosexuality, and the minister expounds upon that, then he can be charged with hate speech.
    This has already happened in most countries that have gone down the Hate Crimes path (Like Canada)..
    It is an affront to the 1st amendment, and the freedom of religion, But as the world goes, so goes America... We used to lead this world, but now we follow...

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I am thinking that the passing of this bill is just further proof that our government is run by the criminally insane. Hey does this make me guilty of a hate crime?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

The hate crime bill federalizes a crime. It means the death penalty may be possible if the crime was in a state that has no death penalty and is taken over by federal jurisdiction. As far as I'm concerned if you assault someone you should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. If you murder someone, I don't care the reason, you get the death penalty. This bill does not prevent someone from speaking out opposed to the gay life style. It only takes effect should an assault or death result and the state is unable, or doesn't wish, to pursue the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    The hate crime bill federalizes a crime. It means the death penalty may be possible if the crime was in a state that has no death penalty and is taken over by federal jurisdiction. As far as I'm concerned if you assault someone you should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. If you murder someone, I don't care the reason, you get the death penalty. This bill does not prevent someone from speaking out opposed to the gay life style. It only takes effect should an assault or death result and the state is unable, or doesn't wish, to pursue the case.
    Maybe, but look to our neighbors to the north (Canada). There, speech IS the issue. How long before we slide down the slope to that? I gotta think that's where we're headed. Being busted for what you're THINKING is ********, comrade.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    What kind of "acts' are targeted that are not ALREADY targeted by existing law? I mean, if I beat the sh#t out of you because you're gay, I think I can currently be charged with aggravated assault, attempted murder, etc. So, WHAT'S DIFFERENT? Something stinks, here...as frikkin' usual.
    The actual text of the bill (Text of S.909 as Introduced in Senate: Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress) below section 7 in section 249 defining a hate crime is a violent act when a person "willfully causes bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, a dangerous weapon, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person."

So currently, speech is not a hate crime. But as many have said, it is a prelude to hate speech. I guess we'll have to start calling them "heterosexually-challenged" to be sweet.
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

These bills are nothing new, in fact they started in 1990. Take a look at the following history:

hate crime bill history - Google News Archive Search

Again I am not an Obama supporter but I wonder what the opinions would be if George Bush had signed a bill of this nature. To often people want to go against something simply because it's the Obama administration doing it. Instead we should examine what it does and judge it on that merit.

These bills are nothing new, in fact they started in 1990. Take a look at the following history:

hate crime bill history - Google News Archive Search

Again I am not an Obama supporter but I wonder what the opinions would be if George Bush had signed a bill of this nature. To often people want to go against something simply because it's the Obama administration doing it. Instead we should examine what it does and judge it on that merit.
    I would not have liked it if it had been under Bush. No mater who's watch it is on it is just plain wrong. Just like the Rico Act that was supposed to be used against racketeering but it was then twisted to use against pro life demonstrations at abortion clinics. The passing of this bill is just the beginning. Just another step in destroying our freedom.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

If they're going to attach a hate crime bill to a military spending bill, then why can't one of our pro gun allies attach a must honor provision requiring every state to honor carry permits from all other states?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I would not have liked it if it had been under Bush. No mater who's watch it is on it is just plain wrong. Just like the Rico Act that was supposed to be used against racketeering but it was then twisted to use against pro life demonstrations at abortion clinics. The passing of this bill is just the beginning. Just another step in destroying our freedom.
    HK just a question for discussion, how does it destroy our freedom to federalize a crime of physical violence or murder? The bill says nothing about speaking out against the gay life style, it just adds gays onto the list for hate crimes. As stated earlier hate crimes are a "physical" assault not verbal.

HK just a question for discussion, how does it destroy our freedom to federalize a crime of physical violence or murder? The bill says nothing about speaking out against the gay life style, it just adds gays onto the list for hate crimes. As stated earlier hate crimes are a "physical" assault not verbal.
    There are already laws on the books against murder, assault etc. It protects all citizens not just some minority group. whey should they have laws above and beyond the majority. Killing anyone last time I checked did not mean you loved them. Is a homosexual that is murdered better than me, a white protestant heterosexual just because he has been honored with some minority status by big brother. I think not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast