Hate crime law attached to military spending bill!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hate crime law attached to military spending bill!!!!!

Exclamation Hate crime law attached to military spending bill!!!!!

Congress Approves Law Extending Hate Crime Protections to Gays
    To assure its passage after years of frustrated efforts, Democratic supporters attached the measure to a must-pass $680 billion defense policy bill the Senate approved 68-29.

FOXNews.com

Friday, October 23, 2009
    Democrats used a must-pass military spending bill to push through a controversial measure Thursday extending hate-crime protection to gays.

The bill, known as the Matthew Shepard Act, named for the gay Wyoming college student murdered 11 years ago, was opposed by conservatives because of language they said targets clergy and others who oppose homosexuality on religious grounds and who might express those beliefs publicly.

"The inclusion of the controversial language of the hate crimes legislation, which is unrelated to our national defense, is deeply troubling," said Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala.

Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., said the bill was a "dangerous step" toward thought crimes. He asked whether the bill would "serve as a warning to people not to speak out too loudly about their religious views."

But Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., said "nothing in this legislation diminishes an American's freedom of religion, freedom of speech or press or the freedom to assemble. Let me be clear. The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act targets acts, not speech."

To assure its passage after years of frustrated efforts, Democratic supporters attached the measure to a must-pass $680 billion defense policy bill the Senate approved 68-29. The House passed the defense bill earlier this month.

Hate crimes law enacted after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1968 centered on crimes based on race, color, religion or national origin.

The expansion has long been sought by civil rights and gay rights groups. Conservatives have opposed it, arguing that it creates a special class of victims.

Some 45 states have hate crimes statutes, and the bill would not change current practices where hate crimes are generally investigated and prosecuted by state and local officials.

But it does broaden the narrow range of actions — such as attending school or voting — that can trigger federal involvement and allows the federal government to step in if the Justice Department certifies that a state is unwilling or unable to follow through on an alleged hate crime.

The measure also provides federal grants to help state and local governments prosecute hate crimes and funds programs to combat hate crimes committed by juveniles.

"As we learned in the civil rights era, sometimes communities need assistance and resources from the federal government when they have to confront the most emotional and dangerous kinds of crimes," said Sen. Michael Bennet, D-Colo.

The bill also creates a federal crime to penalize attacks against U.S. service members on account of their service.

Attorney General Eric Holder said nearly 80,000 hate crime incidents have been reported to the FBI since he first testified before Congress in support of a hate crimes bill 11 years ago. "It has been one of my highest personal priorities to ensure that this legislation finally becomes law," he said.

The FBI says more than half of reported hate crimes are motivated by racial bias. Next most frequent are crimes based on religious bias, at around 18 percent, and sexual orientation, at 16 percent.

Tony Perkins, president of the conservative Family Research Council, said the measure was "part of a radical social agenda that could ultimately silence Christians and use the force of government to marginalize anyone whose faith is at odds with homosexuality."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

THIS MEANS THAT IF YOUR PASTOR READS THE BIBLE VERBATUM CONCERNING PASSAGES/VERSES TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALS HE/SHE MAY NOW BE CHARGED WITH A HATE CRIME BECAUSE HE/SHE PRESENTED THE WORD OF GOD AS WRITTEN. THIS LAW IS JUST ANOTHER ATTACK ON CHRISTIAN VALUES AND GOOD OLD FASHIONED FAMILY VALUES.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post

THIS MEANS THAT IF YOUR PASTOR READS THE BIBLE VERBATUM CONCERNING PASSAGES/VERSES TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALS HE/SHE MAY NOW BE CHARGED WITH A HATE CRIME BECAUSE HE/SHE PRESENTED THE WORD OF GOD AS WRITTEN. THIS LAW IS JUST ANOTHER ATTACK ON CHRISTIAN VALUES AND GOOD OLD FASHIONED FAMILY VALUES.
    "But Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., said "nothing in this legislation diminishes an American's freedom of religion, freedom of speech or press or the freedom to assemble. Let me be clear. The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act targets acts, not speech."

???

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    "But Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., said "nothing in this legislation diminishes an American's freedom of religion, freedom of speech or press or the freedom to assemble. Let me be clear. The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act targets acts, not speech."

???
    And we all know he would not lie to us.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

What kind of "acts' are targeted that are not ALREADY targeted by existing law? I mean, if I beat the sh#t out of you because you're gay, I think I can currently be charged with aggravated assault, attempted murder, etc. So, WHAT'S DIFFERENT? Something stinks, here...as frikkin' usual.

Here is my humble opinion..
    Hate Crimes are B.S. and here is why..
    If I beat up someone, it is assault and battery.. It has a established penalty to it.
    If I beat up someone because they are gay or black or just a AHole - it is assault and battery.. It has an established penalty to it..
    Should my penalty be more if I beat up a black person than just an AHole??
    How about IF I'm thinking the "N" word versus the AHole word while beating someone, is that grounds for more penalty for the 1st over the 2nd.
    NO. the penalty should be assault and battery.. everyone that gets beat up is for one reason or another.. but the penalty should fit the crime, not be variable based on what I think the beater was thinking at the time..
    This will only lead to stifling free speech and do nothing to better defend the beatee..

This has already been played out in Canada and Free speech is the intent of the legislation..

IMHO

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Here is my humble opinion..
    Hate Crimes are B.S. and her is why..
    If I beat up someone, it is assault and battery.. It has a established penalty to it.
    If I beat up someone because they are gay or black or just a AHole - it is assault and battery.. It has an established penalty to it..
    Should my penalty be more if I beat up a black person than just an AHole??
    How about IF I'm thinking the "N" word versus the AHole word while beating someone, is that grounds for more penalty for the 1st over the 2nd.
    NO. the penalty should be assault and battery.. everyone that gets beat up is for one reason or another.. but the penalty should fit the crime, not be variable based on what I think the beater was thinking at the time..
    This will only lead to stifling free speech and do nothing to better defend the beatee..

This has already been played out in Canada and Free speech is the intent of the legislation..

IMHO
    +1 Well said.
    From my cold dead fingers will you take my freedom. And even then you will have to pry it out with a crowbar.

CRIME IS CRIME *****PERIOD*****. Hate crime laws just give law enforcement and Government more excuses to spend time and money with frivilous prosecutions. Just more excuses to try to justify their existence.
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

Just the gay payback

You guys are spot on with the crime issue but this is just a liberal pay back to the gays for helping elect the liberal ticket last November. What we all need to do is ensure we get every family member, friend, neighbor out to vote next time--even if you have to drag them to the polls kicking and screaming or kicking them in the arse to get them there.

I, for one, will also be contacting my Congressman and Senators voicing my objection to this being pushed through with Defense spending and be asking for a new bill to be drafted to repeal the law..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

This would be a good time and place to attach the nationwide CCW bill.
    Roy
    Dacono CO
    CCW, Ruger LCR, Winchester 94, S&W 686-3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast