President Reagan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President Reagan

President Reagan

3. One of our finest citizens and greatest leaders. Let us not forget, before him, we woke up every morning wondering if today would be the day the world would end in nuclear fire; after him, we wondered how nice a vacation would be in St Petersburg. He left in his wake true Hope and Change, the kind that lets people all over the world breathe easier, breathe Free.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

It's funny...I look at a picture of him and miss him like I personally knew him. Strange...

He appears to be the last of a "breed" of men and politicians: quietly strong in his belief of God, country, family, and freedom. We've pretty much lost that generation: WW vets who took care of business overseas and came home to do the same. My Dad, my uncles, I miss them all. They had their warts (who doesn't?) but they were MEN. For the most part, I'm ashamed of my boomer compatriots (myself included sometimes) for our softness and weakness. With the exception of Vietnam vets (I'm not one), we were/are spoiled frikkin' rotten, and wouldn't know how to deal with a Great Depression, like the previous generation did (men and women alike). Maybe we're gonna find out how to do that the hard way. Worst of all, our generation is largely responsible for our current state of affairs. What will our children/grandchildren say about us?

I'm older now (56) and willing to fight because the future of my children is at stake. While not advocating an armed overthrow of our government, I'm prepared to take a stand, in whatever form that has to be. Certainly we should work through our representative system, but I'm quite pessimistic about that, given that I feel elections are fixed and the system is corrupt to the core. Where it all ends, I don't know. What I do know is that this mess needs to be cleaned up or the game is over.

WHATEVER IT TAKES.

Ronald Reagan?

don't think so...

It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, "prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street." The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.

May 19th, 1986 Ronald Reagan signs the so-called FOPA Firearm Owners Protection Act, which contains bans of entire classes, and types of weapons...

Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. "I support the Brady Bill," he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, "and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay."

Gun Bans & Amnesty for Illegal Aliens, not quite the Conservative he was made out to be...

Well, Bohemian, this I did not know. Maybe we're all just pissing into the wind...

No president is perfect. Reagan at least won the Cold War. No Dem and not too many other Republicans (pro 2A or not) would have had the temerity to stand up to the Soviets the way Reagan did.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    No president is perfect. Reagan at least won the Cold War. No Dem and not too many other Republicans (pro 2A or not) would have had the temerity to stand up to the Soviets the way Reagan did.
    No President is perfect, yet in the last century or so we've had nobody in the white house we could point to as a lover of freedom and defender of the Constitution.

Bohemian beat me to it! Reagan was not our friend, and whatever he may have done--defending the Constitution was not part of his agenda.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

It's become a popularity contest and fashion show in the White House...
    I was fresh out of high school in the mid 80's and the outlook on life-in-general was better than it had been in some time. Reagan was at the helm. As far as pro gun, well... he was shot and Brady was his friend so... The pressure was on. Some times that kind of pressure and stress will make people with power make changes... Perhaps not the ones we would choose, but he had good intentions. It was not a matter of outlawing them, as he made that clear in a Guns and ammo interview from 1975.

Ronald Reagan: The Gun Owner's Champion

That was not his intent. His idea was to make it more difficult for people who should not have them to get them with ease. There has to be some kind of regulation (not restriction) on access to them. The last thing in the world I want is for people who should not have guns (illegal aliens, convicted criminals, registered sex offenders, people who have mental illnesses, people who have alcohol or drug addictions, people who are under age 18 or 21 for handguns, etc) to have ease of access to them. There has to be some degree of control (again not restrictions but control). Your definition of control will differ from mine as it will with many others on this site and across the US. Finding a good balance between upholding and honoring the 2nd amendment and allowing just anyone with a pulse and 98.6 body temp to walk around with a loaded gun... Were all open to suggestions… It’s not a perfect science. For me it’s a matter of safety. I have them but I also had to work for that right and prove that I can handle the responsibility that comes with the right. Can’t just hand them out with a US birth certificate.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I was fresh out of high school in the mid 80's and the outlook on life-in-general was better than it had been in some time. Reagan was at the helm. As far as pro gun, well... he was shot and Brady was his friend so... The pressure was on. Some times that kind of pressure and stress will make people with power make changes... Perhaps not the ones we would choose, but he had good intentions. It was not a matter of outlawing them, as he made that clear in a Guns and ammo interview from 1975.

That was not his intent. His idea was to make it more difficult for people who should not have them to get them with ease. There has to be some kind of regulation (not restriction) on access to them. The last thing in the world I want is for people who should not have guns (illegal aliens, convicted criminals, registered sex offenders, people who have mental illnesses, people who have alcohol or drug addictions, people who are under age 18 or 21 for handguns, etc) to have ease of access to them. There has to be some degree of control (again not restrictions but control). Your definition of control will differ from mine as it will with many others on this site and across the US. Finding a good balance between upholding and honoring the 2nd amendment and allowing just anyone with a pulse and 98.6 body temp to walk around with a loaded gun... Were all open to suggestions… It’s not a perfect science. For me it’s a matter of safety. I have them but I also had to work for that right and prove that I can handle the responsibility that comes with the right. Can’t just hand them out with a US birth certificate.
    NOPE... NOT BUYING IT PERIOD...

That is the same Crap the English, Australians, Canadians and others were spewing just before they took their citizens firearms away...

THE FIRST FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE OF CONSTITUTIONAL INTERPRETATION: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT...

Bill of Rights...
    God-Given...
    Non-Negotiable...

Without our Liberties, we have nothing...

"Congress has no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." - Tench Coxe 1789

The Second Amendment does not state “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED” Except… if your zip code is X, your standing at Y, or the type or class of weapon/arm you have or desire to have is Z…
    Or you wish to carry that weapon open or concealed...
    Or you have met the governments registration and licensing requirements, to exercise your right...

Reagan was solidly anti-gun in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's...

Reagan was shot in 1981 with a Legally obtained Revolver... and no gun law passed before, after or since could have prevented the Reagan-Brady shooting from happening again...
    The Secret Service dropped the ball... they let unknowns get close enough to Reagan to stab him...

Firearms kill people like Forks make Rosie O'Donnell Fat...

The last crime committed with the legally obtained weapons Ronald Reagan Banned in 1986, was by a Police officer...

GUN BANS & AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS AND ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM EXPANSION, NOT THE CONSERVATIVE HE WAS MADE OUT TO BE...

On the Second Amendment, and The Constitution; Ronald Reagan was a hypocrite of the worst kind...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

YOUR Sig line:
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes". "Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants". -- Thomas Jefferson
    Just...WOW...

Actually, I think the Founding Fathers pretty much expected every American citizen to be armed -- that would be the 'militia' the 2nd Amendment refers to:
    Can’t just hand them out with a US birth certificate.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast