The NRA is more important to voters than Oprah - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The NRA is more important to voters than Oprah

1. The law may be a good one heavy on maybe but the NRA should stay away from the libs that pushed it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    The law may be a good one heavy on maybe but the NRA should stay away from the libs that pushed it.
    The NRA, like most special interest groups, is literally just looking for support wherever they can find it. They don't care if you're a talking grapefruit or a communist, as long as you agree to vote for their bill. All they want is your vote. Otherwise, it doesn't matter to them.

Brady was an obvious abrogation of rights and should never have been passed - there's no debate on that. Some (the GOA) consider the NICSIA to be an expansion of Brady, but I'm simply not convinced of that. It seems more like it just makes a bad thing less confusing, and clears the air on some areas that have been up for debate. It also gets rid of the NICS fee (which has been delayed by riders for years) altogether, so that will never be an added expense for any first-time gun buyers.

Anyway, I'll like the NRA even more if they can deliver a decisive win in this upcoming SCOTUS fight. Applying the 2nd amendment to all states will pave the way to getting more reasonable gun laws in blue states.
    Last edited by toreskha; 12-23-2007 at 11:36 PM.

I have always refrained from criticizing the NRA, even when I disagreed with them, because I believed the good they did far outweighed the bad. But I cannot refrain on this one. They blew it. And worse yet, they betrayed the very people that have supported them (and us) with everything from money to activism to, literally, their blood and their lives! The only thing a background check does is change you from innocent until proven guilty to guilty until proven innocent. You are presumed a scumbag that "shouldn't" have a gun until the government says you can.

Quote Originally Posted by jtnick View Post
    I have always refrained from criticizing the NRA, even when I disagreed with them, because I believed the good they did far outweighed the bad. But I cannot refrain on this one. They blew it. And worse yet, they betrayed the very people that have supported them (and us) with everything from money to activism to, literally, their blood and their lives! The only thing a background check does is change you from innocent until proven guilty to guilty until proven innocent. You are presumed a scumbag that "shouldn't" have a gun until the government says you can.
    I don't know how it works in TX, but in FL, a CWP holder can buy a gun and walk out with it, without the waiting period. Of course, the very act of showing your ID could be considered an abrogation of the right to be innocent until proven guilty.

At least private sales remain untouched in many areas, including FL. Hopefully it stays that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12