NRA - 2nd Amendment Foundation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA - 2nd Amendment Foundation

NRA - 2nd Amendment Foundation

GO! GO! GO!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/26/kat....ap/index.html

I have been hoping that the mayor and police authorities (policy-makers and senior officers that implemented this action, not necessarily the rank and file) would be called to task over these actions. Here's hoping they have to pay a price for a flagrant 2A (and common sense) violation.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Theft

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    GO! GO! GO!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/26/kat....ap/index.html

I have been hoping that the mayor and police authorities (policy-makers and senior officers that implemented this action, not necessarily the rank and file) would be called to task over these actions. Here's hoping they have to pay a price for a flagrant 2A (and common sense) violation.

I am sure the mayor, police chief and other officials have some new guns in their collection. I guess if your the government stealing is o.k.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I certainly hope the majority of people receive their guns back. Maybe the government will learn a lesson from this. Oh wait, what am I thinking. At least somebody stood up for these people.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

echo_5 Guest

Angry ...mad

...trying my best to remain civil and keep calm, but it is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS that after a natural disaster when emergency services and the ENTIRE INFRASTRUCTURE is gone that; 1. the police would attempt to seize lawfully owned firearms and 2. that legal owners would relenquish such tools of self defense. To be clear, I am a supporter of LE, but I shudder to think about how it would play out when I didn't give up my CONSTITUTIONAL right to protect my family. Good luck to the NRA and the citizens they represent. I've been dragging my feet but, in light of this legal action, I am joining the NRA

I'll preface this by saying that I don't live anywhere near Louisiana (I'm in Florida) and was not in the storm, and haven't really spoken to anyone who was a resident.

Did LE, in fact, seize people's guns from them? As in, they come up to you and say, "Hey...we're collecting guns from residents. Give me yours." Or were they, as they said, "collecting guns that had been stolen or found in abandoned homes"?

The former would be an abrogation of the 2nd Amendment, of course. The latter may have a legitimate law enforcement purpose, as there were roving gangs going around afterwards, and letting the BGs have one extra gun is making the problem worse. I heard about this a while back, but didn't really get any more information about it. I'm just checking for some reliable documentation that this happened, before I get all mad about it. :)

BTW - hope this clears any doubts some may have about the NRA's commitment to gun rights. If you really read into their reasons for everything that they do, it always checks out, even if it seems a little counterintuitive to start with. Strategy isn't always straightforward. I'm on the EPL plan so I'll be a life member in probably about 8 years or so.
    Last edited by toreskha; 12-31-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Did LE, in fact, seize people's guns from them? As in, they come up to you and say, "Hey...we're collecting guns from residents. Give me yours." Or were they, as they said, "collecting guns that had been stolen or found in abandoned homes"?
    How's this for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by EdMaxx View Post
    How's this for starters?
    That'll do; I would be interested to see how many documented cases there are once they get them all compiled. I'll also be following this case.

The NRA should send out emails to people in potentially affected areas next time that remind them of their rights, specifically where disaster conditions are involved. While all citizens should comply with the law, it would also be helpful if they could also consistently and confidently advise law enforcement that their actions are illegal.

The local authorities should be called to task on each one of these cases and made to apologize publicly for violating the Constitution. They probably won't, but it's a nice thought.

Angry "Gun Grab"

toreskha - and anyone else interested - "The Great New Orleans Gun Grab- Descent into Anarchy" by Gordon Hutchinson & Todd Masson (ordered mine thru Louisiana Publishing, Inc., P.O. Box 1199, Boutte, La 70039) - [hope this is legal to post, if not, mod delete]. Any question about whether or not the various police (NO-PD, Calif. SP, NM SP, others?) forcefully disarmed law abiding, legal gun owners in New Orleans, will be answered in this well written book (I have no stake in this book). Litigation is on-going. This should have never happened in the USA, hopefully, will never happen again - but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm only 1/4 way into the book, and have to put it down to let my blood pressure go back to normal. We live on a very "thin edge" of civil law enforcement. (I was not allowed to post this book on this site in "Books").
    sailor

more "Gun Grab"

I am over 1/2 way through "The Great New Orleans ...", and am almost a basket case! The grossly illegal actions of various LEO groups is astounding. I am wondering if any LEOs have read or are reading this book - I would love to hear from them how this came down, and how we the people can hang their (the perps) sorry you know whats. Probably hopeless, but to have gotten away with theft, piracy, & destruction "under color of law" needs some really strong reaction! Time to back off for a while, and let the blood pressure come back down. Next order of business, how do we deal with this kind of lawlessness by some state police, the next time it happens (it will, in my opinion, some natural or manmade disaster)? Trusting the law enforcement agencies is becoming a whole lot more problematical. If LEOs out there think that I'm bashing them, read the book, or other sources of REAL information, and draw your own conclusions. I will try to have my local (small town) police department, some of whom are friends of mine, read this book, and get some input from them.
    sailor

Angry "Gun Grab"

In my post above, I showed a reluctance to believe that the existing laws to prevent the type of lawlessness by "law enforcement" as exhibited in New Orleans, would solve the problem for the future. From the book, page 190 "In a local radio interview on June 2, 2006, after Governor Kathleen Blanco signed the Louisiana statute into law, NOPD Superintendent Warren Riley was asked his opinion of the new law, and what would happen in New Orleans in the event of another disaster of the proportions of Katrina? Riley thought briefly and then answered:'During circumstances like that, we cannot allow people to walk the streets carrying guns. As law enforcement officers, we will confiscate the weapon if the person is walking down the steet, and they may be arrested'". So --- the law means absolutely nothing to the superintendent of law enforcement - surprise! Looks like we are literally on our own. So what do we do in a situation where the criminals have been joined by "law enforcement?
    sailor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast