should christmas carols be allowed in schools?
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: should christmas carols be allowed in schools?

1. should christmas carols be allowed in schools?

Substitute Teacher Merry Hyatt Wants California Schools to Allow Christmas Carols - Sphere News

It is my personal opinion that they should not. As for "excusing" the "minority" of people who don't want to partake- why should they miss the Holiday party because of religion?

I have an unpopular opinion- I'm not a christian, not jewish, I have NO faith- so I guess I'm an atheist.

I hope you guys don't ride me too hard- I think i'm a decent enough person- Just no religion...

anywho- what do you think?
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

If you are an atheist, then what is the holiday you don't want to be excluded from?
    If you don't want to partake then don't partake in a holiday celebration you don't believe in...

my .02
    luvmyRugers

me, me, me, offends me....that's all we hear nowadays.

What about the people that might be offended due to the prohibition of not having carols? Why do their rights not count? I got no problem with Jews, Mexicans, Muslims, Christians, Wiccans, or whomever singing their songs. If I don't like the singing I will leave.

It has always amazed me how a particular religion can be labeled offensive, but the lack of it is somehow immune from being offensive. In reality, Atheism is a religion itself.

My uncle said something a few decades ago during a dispute with a neighbor that Basically should be law. The rest of the family didn't like what the neighbor was doing, but my uncle was the only one in the family who digressed...

"If I do something that he doesn't like then he can leave. If he does something that I don't like, then I will leave."

If everybody lived like that, we'd have no problems.
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

I beleive Christmas carols should be allowed, along with any songs from any other religeon provided no one is forced to sing them (or even be allowed to leave if it offends them).

The whole point of our supposed system is FREEDOM of religeon, yet it seems that our political correctness had made our system the most restrictive of all.

I am offended when Christ is left out of Christmas. I am offended in all the garbage that comes from atheists trying to ban anything that has to do with Christianity. If someone is not a Christian then they should not take part in any of the Christmas holidays. It is Christmas for gosh sakes. A mass for Christ. And I did not mean to ride you to hard. It is absolutely not my intention to offend you or anyone else but you must understand if it comes down between standing up for my God that loves me enough to pay the price for my sins or worrying about the chance that I might offend someone then guess who is going to loose.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

7. This is a perfect example of why they shouldn't be allowed -

Look at how I was alienated based on my opinion...its an undue distraction in an educational facility. We're grown men here, imagine how children would treat someone that doesn't beleive in god. Especially if in a very religious part of the country where atheists are considered devil worshipers...

How would you guys like it if it was "one nation under allah" or in allah we trust? I don't think yall would be so forgiving..

Personally, I don't really care all that much as in I'm not going to protest it, or write my legislators...

I have many christian friends, and have known many great, brave, courageous people who held faith and have nothing against it. I just don't personally beleive..

Also @ luvmyrugers: I don't personally care enough to leave somewhere at the mention of Jesus, God, or any other religion, but don't think others should miss a social gathering because of your religious faith...

Christmas anymore for alot of people is about gifts, ham, and drinking not about Christ....I realize that many of you here do not hold those values but for a good portion that is what its about....

also FYI: I'm not a snarky non-beleiver...IE: I hear it all the time "God bless you"...I don't say "I don't beleive in God" or "There is no God" or w/e I just thank the person for their good wishes and carry on with my day...I know that they're not meaning to offend me, that its an expression that they embrace, and feel is a compliment or however they feel about it...I think that all of this is out of proportion but...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

8. Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    It is absolutely not my intention to offend you or anyone else but you must understand if it comes down between standing up for my God that loves me enough to pay the price for my sins or worrying about the chance that I might offend someone then guess who is going to loose.
    Not trying to start an argument or be a smart a...- I really just want to know:

Why do you as a Christian feel its OK to trample other beleifs, so long as they're not yours?
    If there was an organized quanza party at a school you'd be OK having to pull your kid out?
    Is it OK for a "atheist gift exchange" to replace christmas as an organized event in school, and not have any alternative christmas party, or "if you don't like it don't come".

I think that if the tables were turned you guys would be complaining too...

this is not my normal type of talk: I googled "Jesus Jokes" and this is in bad taste but here it goes: would you guys like your children to be subjected to this? Probably not...just like some atheists want their children to be free thinkers and not have any religion pressed on them with songs, cartoons, etc...

Top Ten Reasons Why Beer is Better Than Jesus
    10. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.
    9. Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.
    8. Beer has never caused a major war.
    7. They don't force Beer on minors who can't think for themselves.
    6. When you have a Beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to
    give it away.
    5. Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over
    his brand of Beer.
    4. You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.
    3. There are laws saying Beer labels can't lie to you.
    2. You can prove you have a Beer.
    1. If you've devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you
    stop.

As for why should some miss out on the parties what about those that do not celebrate any holidays. My wife had a student a few years ago that for any party the parents would keep the child home. This included birthday parties. So by saying to keep the Christmas carols out so everyone can enjoy the parties doesn't work. There is someone who is going to get left our no matter what even if it is a holiday party instead of a Christmas party. The only solution would be to just not have any parties at all even if you tried to roll all of them into one.

Hope you have a (choose any or all):

_Merry Christmas
    _Happy Hanukkah
    _Kicking Quanza
    _Roaring Ramadan
    _Fantastic Festivus
    _Great Gadalupe Day
    _Wonderful Winter Soltice
    _Nappy New Year
    _Cheerful Chinese New Year
    _Plain Old Good Day

This nation was founded on Judeao Christian values and Christmas is a Christian holiday. If you don't want to celebrate it with us then that is your choice. But don't tell me how to celebrate my faith.

By the way Christmas is about the birth of Jesus not about drinking or gifts.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Not trying to start an argument or be a smart a...- I really just want to know:

Why do you as a Christian feel its OK to trample other beleifs, so long as they're not yours?
    If there was an organized quanza party at a school you'd be OK having to pull your kid out?
    Is it OK for a "atheist gift exchange" to replace christmas as an organized event in school, and not have any alternative christmas party, or "if you don't like it don't come".

I think that if the tables were turned you guys would be complaining too...

this is not my normal type of talk: I googled "Jesus Jokes" and this is in bad taste but here it goes: would you guys like your children to be subjected to this? Probably not...just like some atheists want their children to be free thinkers and not have any religion pressed on them with songs, cartoons, etc...

Top Ten Reasons Why Beer is Better Than Jesus
    10. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.
    9. Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.
    8. Beer has never caused a major war.
    7. They don't force Beer on minors who can't think for themselves.
    6. When you have a Beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to
    give it away.
    5. Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over
    his brand of Beer.
    4. You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.
    3. There are laws saying Beer labels can't lie to you.
    2. You can prove you have a Beer.
    1. If you've devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you
    stop.
    I beg to differ. Christians are the brunt of jokes and all sorts of garbage. You must not watch much t.v. or go to see Holly weird movies. The above garbage that you posted is a good example. Our public schools are a cesspool of secular humanism which by the way has been defined as a religion. That is why I chose to home school, to keep my kids from their secular, government sanctioned brain washing. We were founded by men who for the most part held traditional Christian beliefs. The Soviet Union on the other hand has been run by atheists. How is that working out for them?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast