Right to yell "FIRE" in crowded theater - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Right to yell "FIRE" in crowded theater

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Two things..
    1) Doesn't the Castle Doctrine laws do exactly what you argue about in your statement. Don't I have more rights (more protection really) at my own door than my neighbors?? In Florida, there is almost no question if I shoot a person in my home (if they have committed a felony). I can not be prosecuted and I can not be civilly sued.. That is not so much true at my neighbors house.. Unless I am in my car at my neighbors house, then I am again in my own domain and I am protected again..

Humm I wonder if I am in my car, inside his garage, hummm...???
    What if I'm in his car in my garage, hummm???

2) All this talk, reminds me of a quote...
    "No man was ever endowed with a right without being at the same time saddled with a responsibility. "
    - Gerald W. Johnson
    You are missing the point....... The Constitution, hell, the way's and why's of how our Country was founded, and what was put in place by our Founding Fathers........... was supposed to prevent laws like this from ever needing to be passed (castle doctrine), etc......... The Constitution for example, IS OUR CONCEALED/OPEN CARRY PERMIT! (in a manner of speaking) because it say's "Shall NOT be Infringed" Any law that has anything to do about arms is blatantly wrong and illegal. Hmmm, might not be a proper example of what I am trying to get across.

How about this.... By being alive, I have the Natural/God given "right" so to speak, to protect myself, it doesnt matter if I am at home, at a friends house, in another country, on the moon, whatever......... Just because some law was written by men somewhere, and can be enforced by men, and have dire consequences to my liberty/life if I fail to follow that law......... THAT LAW DOES NOT NEGATE MY NATURAL/GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO DEFEND MYSELF ("arms" and the right to bear them would include the right to defend yourself, not just the country)

A law that forbids me, (or restricts me to just calling 911 or to my empty hands to defend myself with) of defending myself just because I am in the wrong location is well, besides being unConstitutional, very stupid. Why would any of us follow or defend such a law? I, for one, don't, 'nuff said.

Two things..
    1) Doesn't the Castle Doctrine laws do exactly what you argue about in your statement. Don't I have more rights (more protection really) at my own door than my neighbors?? In Florida, there is almost no question if I shoot a person in my home (if they have committed a felony). I can not be prosecuted and I can not be civilly sued.. That is not so much true at my neighbors house.. Unless I am in my car at my neighbors house, then I am again in my own domain and I am protected again..

Humm I wonder if I am in my car, inside his garage, hummm...???
    What if I'm in his car in my garage, hummm???

2) All this talk, reminds me of a quote...
    "No man was ever endowed with a right without being at the same time saddled with a responsibility. "
    - Gerald W. Johnson
    I don't know about FL in in SC the castle doctrine is fully in effect if you are at your neighbor's house.

The first rule of the Castle Doctrine is that you must be in a place where you have a right to be. If you are at your neighbor's house with his permission then you are at a place where you have a right to be.

BTW - Rule number 2 is that you must not be breaking ay law during the encounter
    #3 is that you must not be at fault for starting the encounter
    #4 is that the force must be proportional.

Doesn't even have to be inside but in your front yard or on the sidewalk, you are still covered. The Castle Doctrine laws are probably the most misunderstood and falsely rumored laws on the books. The most common misundrestanding is that you can't be sued. Yes, you can be sued however if it is found in your favor then not only will you not have to pay but the other party will have to pay your expenses, but you can be sued even if the sheriff an DA decide in your favor and no charges brought.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I don't know about FL in in SC the castle doctrine is fully in effect if you are at your neighbor's house.

The first rule of the Castle Doctrine is that you must be in a place where you have a right to be. If you are at your neighbor's house with his permission then you are at a place where you have a right to be.

Yes, you can be sued however if it is found in your favor then not only will you not have to pay but the other party will have to pay your expenses, but you can be sued even if the sheriff an DA decide in your favor and no charges brought.
    1st, it was my attempt at a little humor..
    2nd, in Florida, you can not be sued.. Period.. If it falls under the castle doctrine, then a civil case can not be brought against you.. IF I shoot at a convenience store, and I'm not in my car.. Different story.. that is self defense (Defense of another) and not castle doctrine.. But if I'm in my house, and the perp has committed a felony (broke into my house) then I can not be sued..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

1st, it was my attempt at a little humor..

Darn, my response took me 1/2 an hr to write too...........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123