Let's Fight About it Some More - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Let's Fight About it Some More

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    If you had read his posts on many of the other boards that he drug into his little 30 minutes of fame you would find that he did not say that at all. In one case he stated that it was to slow down the response of the police in pulling their weapons giving him some extra time to "beat them to the draw" as he put it in so many words. I followed his story on several other boards where he was usually banned before he got around to this one. If you do some research you find that his version of things really changed from his first posts.

With that said I haven't found anyone saying that what he did was illegal just like cussing on a cell phone in public isn't illegal. However a 2 year-old having a temper tantrum in Wal-Mart isn't illegal either but don't you want to either whip their behind or their parents one or the other.

Thank you for the add'l info, I havent seen that particular quote.
    As for in Wal-Mart, can I whip both?

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    ... the very sad reality though, is that his perfectly legal actions could end up having the new state park carry law repealed. Certainly, that would be unconstitutional, but it's highly possible none-the-less.
    That's what many were trying to warn about... the real risk of causing harm to gun owner's rights with regards to carry laws.

No one is saying kwik didn’t have the right to carry his gun. We've simply been questioning whether it was the most constructive exercise of his freedom. If his desire was to educate the public—he accomplished his goal—BUT, the general public response to his actions were quite negative.

His dubious methods are what are in question. NOT his 1st or 2nd Amendment rights to do what he did. Just his methods. There were probably better ways to make a statement that would have both educated and persuaded others of the rightness of his cause.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    I think that folks who don't respect others have no respect for themselves...and that's so unfortunate!
    I've typed it before and will again.... Just for you...

Amen... Louder, AMEN... LOUDER, AMEN...

That's better....
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I've typed it before and will again.... Just for you...

Amen... Louder, AMEN... LOUDER, AMEN...

That's better....
    Great minds think alike, 6shooter.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

6. I'm 23, in graduate school, drink too much, and live in a place that rivals Animal House. That being said, I am generally in Camp 2. I feel strongly about 2nd Amendment rights, but I also believe that the best course of action in fighting the anti-gun mentality is to be calm, reasonable, and fully armed with the facts. Last year, I was involved in the effort to get CC legalized on Texas college campuses. I found that the majority of "anti's" I talked to were at least swayed to "undecided" after being informed of the facts of concealed carry and the relationship between CHL holders and crime rates. These same people, if they read the story about the guy and his orange AK, would only be cemented in their feelings that gun owners are irresponsible nutcases.

(In case you're wondering, locking interior doorknobs and roommates who either also own guns or have been taken to the range by those who do )

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaynelson View Post
    If his desire was to educate the public—he accomplished his goal—BUT, the general public response to his actions were quite negative.
    Actually, I believe he did quite the opposite. The only thing the public learned is that if you saw the barrel and stock off of an AK, it is now considered a pistol. No one bothered to mention that, not only was the gun not modified, but doing so would make it an NFA weapon.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Actually, I believe he did quite the opposite. The only thing the public learned is that if you saw the barrel and stock off of an AK, it is now considered a pistol. No one bothered to mention that, not only was the gun not modified, but doing so would make it an NFA weapon.
    You are quite correct that the news report kept saying that it was a sawed off AK rather than it being originally made like that which gave incorrect information to the public and led to a general misunderstanding of what the controversy was all about.

I have question about the AK that he was carrying. I am not an AK expert by any means but in most states a pistol is defined as a firearm designed to be fired with one hand. Even though the gun in question has a pistol grip is it actually intended to be used with one hand. It appears to me that one would normally use two hands while firing it.

9. I wouldn't use that as your standard. I use two hands to fire all my pistols.

... I believe he did quite the opposite.
    If his attempt was to educate, his attempt was misguided... at best. BUT, he did successfully convey a message, albeit one that left a bad taste in the mouth of many.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    … the news report gave incorrect information to the public.
    Again… there were probably better ways to make a statement that would have both educated and persuaded others of the rightness of his cause.

What we do, and how we go about expressing freedoms are important—people are watching—people who vote! I still think GregAllen summed it up pretty well...

Quote Originally Posted by GregAllen View Post
    ... exercise common sense and good judgment while we enjoy our liberties.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Quote Originally Posted by joespahr View Post
    It doesn't say "The right to keep and bear arms where people won't be upset or offended shall not be infringed". If I asked someone who is talking into their cell phone loudly using profanity in a public place where I have my kids to knock it off, I get told it's a free country and that I should mind my own business. You see something objectionable on TV or hear it on the radio, you get told that if you don't like it, you can just change the station. Free speech, right?

So why is it that if I want to carry an orange AK in a place where I am legally allowed to, I have to modify my behavior (protected by the same Constitution that protects objectionable speech) to make other people more comfortable? The same people, for the most part, who will argue that their right to free speech is more important than my comfort then turn around and say that their right to be comfortable is more important than my right to keep and bear? And I'm supposed to "respect" that? When they have no respect for me?

They say "It's legal to put this filth on the radio, TV, and movies. So you old fashioned people just have to deal with it." I say "It's legal to carry this firearm. So you ignorant or power hungry (one or the other) people just have to deal with it." What's the difference? I can change the station. You can go somewhere else. Sounds fair.

Edited for clarity
    Sure you have the right...It’s Freedom..
    Don't get upset or surprised when the police show up and perhaps have you at gun point, maybe they detain you for 2.5 hours or more... Not saying that it’s right, just what may happen…
    They have that right because it's their safety at stake in this case. They will not know who you are or what you are doing so expect that behavior. Right wrong or indifferent, they are trained that way. They have to be…
    It's their job to provide safety for the citizens who pay taxes and therefore pay their salary, the citizens who will see you and perhaps question who and why and think “he may be up to no good”. They have that right to perceive you as a possible threat and react accordingly.

So do what you want, but expect that if it flies in the face of conventional wisdom or skirts the line of good judgment, you will be questioned about it.

Use good judgment while exercising your rights and be respectful of people who may fear you being armed. They may have a good reason or they may be ignorant to the laws and what is legal. Represent yourself with pride and educate them. Perhaps you make allies and not adversaries.

Peace…
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast