Pivileges vs. rights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pivileges vs. rights

Pivileges vs. rights

I wonder about the difference between a privilege and a right. Y'all think we have a right to keep and bear arms but almost everyone on this board, including me, has a permit to carry concealed. Then someone said driving is a privilege. Why is that? Seems to me the 10th amendment says anything not granted to the Feds is ours or the states' and that just because some rights are listed doesn't mean there aren't a lot of others retained by the people. So if we're free to come and go as we please why are we not free to use the highway system that our taxes pay for if we can afford to buy a vehicle - without a permission slip from the government? And if your answer is that we need to pass a driving test then what's the big deal with a firearms test or a civics test for voting? I'm a libertarian at heart and I believe that almost every license or permit is a violation of our rights. It's just that these violations have happened over time and so each generation grows up with more and more rights taken away and thinks it's normal. For intance, I read that Orville Wright never had a pilot's license - he just built a machine that could fly and took off. Same with the first automobile owners - they just bought the new contraption and drove it. That's pretty much how firearms were treated until the slaves were freed and those in powere didn't want the black race to be armed. So to reiterate my question: if you have to fill out a form, pay a fee, pass a test - can you really call it a right? We've given up so much already.

Then someone said driving is a privilege. Why is that? Seems to me the 10th amendment says anything not granted to the Feds is ours or the states'
    You answered your own question. Driving is a privilege issued by each state. Every state recognizes every other states DL's. They tried to do this we CCW permits, but most states fought it because the permit requierments are so varied from state to state.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

Like a frog in water they have slowly turned up the fire on us so that after several generations our rights have been striped away and the Constitution shredded so that in reality our country is but a hollow shell of the once great republic it was. Those my age can remember to some extent what real freedoms were and those that are even older, the WW 2 generation, can see it even more. If our republic or what is left of it can last even one more generation there will be few left that understand what has happened to us.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Here is a good article that I read today that talks about the same thing...

'Licensed' defensive handgun carry: Are we doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    You answered your own question. Driving is a privilege issued by each state. Every state recognizes every other states DL's. They tried to do this we CCW permits, but most states fought it because the permit requierments are so varied from state to state.
    I didn't answer my own question. What made driving a privilege in the first place? It became a privilege when politicians decided to tax it and require a test and not enough people objected. The same has happened with every freedom that requires a permit to exercise. Like a parade permit. We are supposed to have a right to peaceably assemble. Riding in the front of a bus was a privilege for a long time for black people - until they decided enough was enough and committed civil disobedience. You have to be willing to fight and possibly lose for a right.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I didn't answer my own question. What made driving a privilege in the first place? It became a privilege when politicians decided to tax it and require a test and not enough people objected. The same has happened with every freedom that requires a permit to exercise. Like a parade permit. We are supposed to have a right to peaceably assemble. Riding in the front of a bus was a privilege for a long time for black people - until they decided enough was enough and committed civil disobedience. You have to be willing to fight and possibly lose for a right.
    ok, I know what gives me the right to free speech, and the right to own and carry a firearm. And I agree with you there. I guess I don't understand why you say we have a RIGHT to drive. What gives us that right?
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

My creator gave me freedom of movement from one place to another. The automobile is just a handy piece of technology that makes that better. My creator also gave me the right to self defense - and the firearm is just that technological extension. All our rights - and there are many more than those listed in the bill of rights - come from our creator. Many of the founding fathers did not want to include the bill of rights in the constitution because they worried that if some rights were listed then it would be interpreted that those are the only ones we have. That's pretty much what occurrred even though they tried to guard against that in the 9th and 10th amendments. You have fallen victim to that same thinking. You probably believe the 2nd amendment gives you the right to arms but it just says the right (which pre-existed the constitution) shall not be infringed. You have the right to bear arms because your creator gave you the intelligence to make and use tools - and didn't limit you to your teeth and finger nails - unlike most of the animal kingdom.

ok, I understand what you are trying to say better. Not sure if I agree, but I understand.
    This kind of sounds like 'you have a right to smoke pot because God put it here' thing.
    I'm gonna have to think on this one a while.

Like most things run by the government, a driver license has morphed into something else. In the 40's and 50's a driver license was just that - proof that you had demonstrated that you were competent enough to operate a vehicle safely. Unfortunately, now a driver license is used for the preferred ID card, for child support enforcement, for keeping your phsical address in the state database, for determining which state you are a "resident" of, an excuse to keep a photo of you in the state database, and only the government knows what else they use it for that we don't know about.

This is why concealed (or unconcealed) "permits" are a bad idea. Eventually your right to own a deadly weapon will be labeled a "priviledge", and you will have to consent to their rules and policies in order to qualify for that priviledge.

In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

When I as a teenager and got my social security card back in the early 60's it stated on the card "Not for identification purposes". You will not find that written on them any more. Now your social security number is used all the time for identification. We were told that would not happen. Just like we were once told the progressive income tax was only temporary.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast