Feds' Terrorist Watchlist Nabs Cub Scout

Thread: Feds' Terrorist Watchlist Nabs Cub Scout

Exclamation Feds' Terrorist Watchlist Nabs Cub Scout

NRA-ILA :: Sleep Easy, America - Feds' Terrorist Watchlist Nabs Cub Scout

Friday, January 15, 2010

As we’ve reported before, Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), encouraged by New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, wants to prohibit anyone on the FBI’s terrorist watchlist from possessing a firearm. Yet, the list and its criteria are secret, and Lautenberg’s bill would criminalize the exercise of a constitutionally protected right while denying a person the opportunity to clear himself of accusations in a fair and open hearing before a court of law. Even today, thousands of people who aren’t terrorists cannot prevent the list from misidentifying them, causing them delays and embarrassment when trying to board commercial aircraft.

It’s one thing when an adult gets the run-around at an airport, because he or she has a name identical or similar to someone the FBI is watching. As the American Civil Liberties Union has pointed out, the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) “automatic selectee” list -- its list of people who are not permitted to board an aircraft without being given the once-over by the agency’s machines and uniformed, latex-gloved personnel -- is based on people’s names, not on physical factors like age.

But when the system is so unorganized that it cannot distinguish a kid from a terrorist, what’s going on here? Yesterday, the New York Times reported that for the last six or seven years, one of Lautenberg’s constituents -- eight-year-old New Jersey Cub Scout Michael “Mikey” Hicks -- hasn’t been able to get on a plane without being patted down like your average neighborhood hubcap thief with his palms on the hood of a police cruiser and a nightstick between his legs. Repeatedly mistaken for someone on the FBI’s terrorist watchlist since he was two years old, Mikey’s encounters with the federal government have consisted of, as his mother puts it, “Up your arms, down your arms, up your crotch, someone is patting your 8-year-old down like he’s a criminal.”

To say that the situation is ironic is a gross understatement. The government can’t or won’t get Mikey’s situation straightened out. And he isn’t alone. The Times says that of nearly 82,000 travelers who have applied through the Department of Homeland Security to get their names cleared from the watchlist during the last three years, 25,000 are still waiting.

Yet, the government failed to add to the TSA’s “no-fly list” the self-proclaimed al Qaeda-trained Nigerian Islamist fanatic who allegedly smuggled military high explosives aboard a plane bound for Detroit on Christmas Day last year and almost blew the plane to kingdom come. As the White House report on the incident concluded, there was enough information to have placed him on the “no-fly list;” he was already in the government’s international terrorist identities database (the Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment, or TIDE). But, the government failed to recognize that he had a U.S. travel visa (which it could have revoked) because it had misspelled his name.

TSA can spell “Mikey,” however. Despite efforts by the boy’s parents and their congressman to get TSA to straighten out the error, the delays and pat-downs continue. Meanwhile, other non-terrorists tired of their airport delays have been able to get off TSA’s radar screen by changing their names or deliberately misspelling their names when purchasing a ticket.

Irrespective of how this relates to Second Amendment issues, we think -- and more and more people are likely to agree -- that while our fellow Americans in federal service have prevented virtually all terrorist attacks in the U.S. since the September 11 attacks, numerous problems with the watchlist apparatus remain and it is long past the time that these problems should have been corrected.

Mikey’s case, however, serves to remind us of the potential ramifications for the Second Amendment, if the watchlist is used by the likes of Lautenberg and Bloomberg to their nefarious ends.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Airport Security Service: ASS

"Straining out the gnats while swallowing the camels since 2001."

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Airport Security Service: ASS

"Straining out the gnats while swallowing the camels since 2001."
    Well said, Bighouse Doc
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

It is like we are living in a Looney Toon cartoon.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

And THAT'S why I will NOT fly commercial anymore. My name is not on anyone's watch list, I'm 63 years old, and I look like Joe Schmoe. I'm not a big bad-ass guy, I don't look like a mugger and I don't dress like a terrorist. But the last two times I flew (which was years ago), I was forced to take my belt off, take my shoes off, empty my pockets, take the battery off my cell-phone, put it back on and turn on the phone, empty everything out of my pockets (and had a nail clipper, sans nail file, confiscated), and then frisked and wanded. When I told the moron to take his hands off my leg, and got two more TSA gooks involved, I swore they would never have the "pleasure" again.

Since then, I have almost been arrested twice by TSA and the locals because my grandson, who was flying by himself at 8 and again at 9 could not be met at the gate by either myself or his grandmother (my wife), after we had been picking him up since he was 5 and flying. Broward Sheriffs deputies had the cuffs out when I told them to f*ck off and left my wife to argue with them.

I won't fly again until we get our rights back. When they start to profile these rag-headed bastards and leave us citizens alone, I might fly. But right now, if I an't get there by car or train (they don't do squat to you on AmTrak), I ain't going.
    -= Piece Corps =-

Talking

It's about time the government rounded up all of those dangerous boy scouts.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    And THAT'S why I will NOT fly commercial anymore. My name is not on anyone's watch list, I'm 63 years old, and I look like Joe Schmoe. I'm not a big bad-ass guy, I don't look like a mugger and I don't dress like a terrorist. But the last two times I flew (which was years ago), I was forced to take my belt off, take my shoes off, empty my pockets, take the battery off my cell-phone, put it back on and turn on the phone, empty everything out of my pockets (and had a nail clipper, sans nail file, confiscated), and then frisked and wanded. When I told the moron to take his hands off my leg, and got two more TSA gooks involved, I swore they would never have the "pleasure" again.

Since then, I have almost been arrested twice by TSA and the locals because my grandson, who was flying by himself at 8 and again at 9 could not be met at the gate by either myself or his grandmother (my wife), after we had been picking him up since he was 5 and flying. Broward Sheriffs deputies had the cuffs out when I told them to f*ck off and left my wife to argue with them.

I won't fly again until we get our rights back. When they start to profile these rag-headed bastards and leave us citizens alone, I might fly. But right now, if I an't get there by car or train (they don't do squat to you on AmTrak), I ain't going.
    I'm not very fond of the TSA rules, nor the inefficient and incompetent way they perform their jobs. I take serious issue with the government profiling ANY race or religion. As much as I dislike the way things are, I feel that profiling any specific group will be a huge step backwards and will further erode our rights as Americans. There was a time back in the mid 1900s' where my ancestors were rounded up and placed in camps because of their race. They were "profiled' by the U.S. government despite many of them having served in the U.S. military or having family members serve in the U.S. military. I sincerely hope our nation has learned from the mistakes made so many years ago. Rather than profile a specific ethnic group, religion, etc., why not subject all non-Americans (excluding resident aliens who are legally here in the U.S.) to additional screening, and offer Americans (and resident aliens who are legally here in the U.S.) who frequently travel an opportunity to be "pre-screened" so that they will be able to avoid the long lines and additional scrutiny.

As we've seen, the current security measures are more of a "security theater" or facade more than anything else. If a group of people are serious on doing harm, there are numerous ways that they can accomplish that task. There's no way that they can completely secure the airlines. With that in mind, they need to be smart as to how they operate. The current system upsets more Americans than it helps. Sure there are polls out there that show that many people either don't care, or feel that the security measures are warranted. What we need is a vocal group or as responsible citizens, to spread the word that the system isn't working. Only then will the government be forced to review the operation and come up with a better solution.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

they need to concentrat of the unsecure borders first as it is theroized that at least 4 suitcase nucke's al ready in this country which probably have come in from mexico. with thr borders so porus it would be easy for terorist to enter the country as though our border patrol are doing all they can they are severly under strenth and have the hard job of trying to secure over 2000 miles of the southern borders alone! just my .02 cents!

I am a military vet. I am a vet of the Ohio Nat'l guard. I held a National security clearance for more than 30 years.

The last time I flew, I was subjected to being stripped down to my underwear in public view. I have not flown since then. That was seven years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
    I am a military vet. I am a vet of the Ohio Nat'l guard. I held a National security clearance for more than 30 years.

The last time I flew, I was subjected to being stripped down to my underwear in public view. I have not flown since then. That was seven years ago.

Makes me wonder if they targeted you for the "extra screening" to demonstrate that they are going after those "big bad terrorists", knowing that they wouldn't find anything, therefore eliminating the need for further action.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor