Local Convenience Store

Thread: Local Convenience Store

Local Convenience Store

Noticed today that the owner of a local convenience store was carrying. A naturalized citizen, I congratulated him and said that I was proud to continue my support of his store. This was not only because he was carrying but because of his honesty.

Cool, I wish this was more common. Does he have any history with being robbed? Bad part of town? Just curious.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Working a convenience store has got to be one of the most dangerous jobs around. Seems like every time you turn on the news one has been robed and often times a clerk or owner shot. I would not work one with out a gun especially late at night.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I have a friend who's family owns a local mom & pop store. They're open until 10pm (11pm if they get busy). On average, they get robbed approx. 3 times each year. The mom & dad refuse to purchase a firearm, and don't like the idea that my friend carries. For a while, they used to hire me to work the store for 2 - 3 weeks after they got robbed during which time I would OC (with their permission). I guess it got too expensive for them, so eventually I trained their son, who eventually picked up his own handgun which he CCs while working the counter. I'll still work the store a couple times each year while they travel for family functions.

When the "questionable" folks come into the store, I'll stand up, they'll see my handgun and either have a very quick change of attitude ("yes sir", "no, sir", "thank you, mister", etc.) or they'll simply leave knowing that they won't be able to rob/rip off the store without a fight.

I've actually seen the fully represented "gang banger" types come into the store and act as though they were in church. Very polite, helping elderly folks with the door, and even carrying some groceries to the car for a customer.

Sad part is that when I'm not working there, but simply hanging out with my friend, the same "gang banger" types come in and give the old man and old lady a hard time. When they see my friend and I in the back, their attitude changes back to "choir boy mode". Makes me wonder what kind of crap the parents put up with when their son is in school and I'm off working my "real" job.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Cool, I wish this was more common. Does he have any history with being robbed? Bad part of town? Just curious.
    Actually the store has never been robbed to my knowledge and I've lived in the area for about 20 years. It's in a small community outside of the city limits and considered a good neighborhood.

'Wish there are more people like him...especially those ones that sells petrol/gasoline or whatever you call them here in this country.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Working a convenience store has got to be one of the most dangerous jobs around. Seems like every time you turn on the news one has been robed and often times a clerk or owner shot. I would not work one with out a gun especially late at night.
    AMEN. I would not even go into one at night without being armed.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Actually the store has never been robbed to my knowledge and I've lived in the area for about 20 years. It's in a small community outside of the city limits and considered a good neighborhood.
    Sounds about like where I live, Amish country in fact. We too enjoy a fairly low crime rate, but are just 5 miles outside of Lebanon, which has a higher-than-state-average crime rate. This always has me thinking that sooner or later some thug is going to venture beyond the city limits to take advantage of our relatively relaxed community. Our only 24 hour convenience store typically has a little old guy (upper 60s-lower70s, 5'8", maybe 150lbs, kinda reminds me of Mr. MaGoo) working the night shift alone. I find it amazing (and I am thankful) that thus far there has been no trouble for him.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Sounds about like where I live, Amish country in fact. We too enjoy a fairly low crime rate, but are just 5 miles outside of Lebanon, which has a higher-than-state-average crime rate. This always has me thinking that sooner or later some thug is going to venture beyond the city limits to take advantage of our relatively relaxed community. Our only 24 hour convenience store typically has a little old guy (upper 60s-lower70s, 5'8", maybe 150lbs, kinda reminds me of Mr. MaGoo) working the night shift alone. I find it amazing (and I am thankful) that thus far there has been no trouble for him.
    This particular store is more like the old 7/11's used to be. It's a Mom & Pop type that opens at 7am and closes at 11pm seven days a week. The town nearby isn't what you'd call a high crime city but armed robberies have increased lately as well as burglaries and even a couple of shootings. It's just a nice place to live.