Border checkpoint - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Border checkpoint

I hate to belabor the point, but every road heading north from Brownsville, TX to south of San Diego, CA has border patrol
    check points to verify that EVERYONE passing through is a US citizen or a legal resident alien or an alien with passport, visa
    and travel permit. It is also at these checkpoints where literally tons of drugs are secondarily discovered each year. I have
    no problem whatsoever with these checkpoints as long as they only along the borders. I'm pretty sure that the same checkpoints exist to the North along every road coming South from Canada.
    When entering Mexico you also have to get a visa and a car permit if you're driving more than 23 km into the interior. At that point, they too have checkpoints to verify papers and permits. After that, from time to time you might run into a military checkpoint where you may or may not be questioned as to where you're coming from or going to, but other than that it's no big deal. We've talked to some of the officers at these checkpoints and they will relate stories about catching
    people smuggling in guns and thousands or rounds of ammo into the country or taking drugs North out of the country.
    Again, I have no problem with these checkpoints because they too are protecting their country. Actually, I feel safer traveling in Mexico knowing that their military is patrolling the highways making it safer for everyone.
    I too am paranoid about govt. taking over our lives in so many ways and being intrusive in our personal lives, but folks,
    these people, the Border Patrol, are doing us a big favor and they deserve our respect and support.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTTAHERE View Post
    ...I'm pretty sure that the same checkpoints exist to the North along every road coming South from Canada.
    When entering Mexico you also have to get a visa and a car permit if you're driving more than 23 km into the interior. At that point, they too have checkpoints to verify papers and permits...
    If you look at a map, you will see that the OP was a good 80 or 90 miles North of the border, a far cry from 23 km. And yes, Canada has check points, AT the border crossing.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

So whats the matter with the checkpoints? Drugs & illegals are rampant in Tx and other states bordering Mexico. If you don't want to go through them go around, ask any Mexican, comprende?
    Darrell

I don't like sitting on the interstate and waiting in line for nothing. Isn't there supposed to be some probable cause for stopping and questioning people? Nobody was speeding, nobody was weaving, no tail lights were out, etc.

What's wrong with the police coming into your home any time they want? You OK with that too?

6. Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    My wife and I had our first encounter with the border patrol yesterday while coming home from South Padre Island. Mind you, we never left the state of Texas but we ended up being stopped in Sarita TX. Both of us were carryiing, of course, and I must admit that I felt a bit uneasy being stopped and questioned while travelling in my own country, having never crossed a state border, let along an international one. It reminded me of the Nazi checkpoints - "vere are your papers?". Anyway, we waited in a double line of about 20 cars and trucks as we inched forward. A federal agent with a dog circled each vehicle. I was half expecting the dog to go crazy on our vehicle because we had our Pekingese and Japanese Chin in crates at the back of our Yukon. Then I figured we'd have to get out and at some point explain that we were armed. But that never happened. When it was our turn the agent asked if we would roll down the windows so he could look inside. We complied. Then he asked if we were both citizens of the U.S., to which my wife responded yes. Funny, because he looked Mexican and had a heavy Hispanic accent. I was tempted to ask him the same question. Anyway, the encounter only lasted seconds and we were waved on. I'm kind of conflicted on the whole thing because I do want terrorists and drug smugglers caught but the whole thing seemed pretty ineffectual.
    This Border Patrol stop in Sarita has been there for over 35 years that I know. The drug dog catches a lot of smugglers and illegals hiding in vehicles. The agents also look for body language. I have never had a problem there and they are effective.
    Sam Ragsdale
    AGCM(AW/SW) USN-Ret

NRA Life Member

If you are not actually crossing a border, you are under no obligation to comply with any of their requests.

Just because there is a border checkpoint doesn't mean that you give up your rights. It is a suspicionless search, and thus illegal under the 4th amendment. Next time, if you are not actually crossing a border, simply refuse to answer any questions.

A guy does this on a regular basis as he travels through. Here's the first of his youtube videos about this:

YouTube - Homeland Security Checkpoint: Video Blog - Day 1

They always let him go because they know he knows his rights and they can't hold him without opening themselves up to lawsuits which would shut them down for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulpatton View Post
    So whats the matter with the checkpoints? Drugs & illegals are rampant in Tx and other states bordering Mexico. If you don't want to go through them go around, ask any Mexican, comprende?
    Darrell
    The matter, first and foremost, is that it is clearly harassment, and clearly a violation of 4A. To quote the great Thomas Jefferson: "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." (A quote, BTW, that I find more and more relevant every day.)

Why is it that these checks must take place so far removed from the border? Why is it acceptable that we have no fence where the border actually exists? And yes, drugs and illegals are rampant in the border states. But the same is true of the rest of the country. If these checkpoints were anything more than appeasement, we wouldn't have 12-20 million illegals in this country. But we do, so I find it hard to make the claim that these checks are effective and practical. Certainly not worth the harassment (the inconvenience attending too small a degree of liberty, if you will) of the traveling citizenry.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulpatton View Post
    Darrell
    It is obvious the check points are not doing much good.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by OUTTAHERE View Post
    I hate to belabor the point, but every road heading north from Brownsville, TX to south of San Diego, CA has border patrol
    check points to verify that EVERYONE passing through is a US citizen or a legal resident alien or an alien with passport, visa
    and travel permit.
    Ya beat me too it. The check point north of San Diego is way north of San Diego. Everyone from that area coming north up to Los Angeles has to stop. Shouldn't the check points be AT THE BORDERS?

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Shouldn't the check points be AT THE BORDERS?
    If checkpoints were at borders, then they might find more illegals and drugs. Who wants to deal with that???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast