Border checkpoint
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Border checkpoint

Border checkpoint

My wife and I had our first encounter with the border patrol yesterday while coming home from South Padre Island. Mind you, we never left the state of Texas but we ended up being stopped in Sarita TX. Both of us were carryiing, of course, and I must admit that I felt a bit uneasy being stopped and questioned while travelling in my own country, having never crossed a state border, let along an international one. It reminded me of the Nazi checkpoints - "vere are your papers?". Anyway, we waited in a double line of about 20 cars and trucks as we inched forward. A federal agent with a dog circled each vehicle. I was half expecting the dog to go crazy on our vehicle because we had our Pekingese and Japanese Chin in crates at the back of our Yukon. Then I figured we'd have to get out and at some point explain that we were armed. But that never happened. When it was our turn the agent asked if we would roll down the windows so he could look inside. We complied. Then he asked if we were both citizens of the U.S., to which my wife responded yes. Funny, because he looked Mexican and had a heavy Hispanic accent. I was tempted to ask him the same question. Anyway, the encounter only lasted seconds and we were waved on. I'm kind of conflicted on the whole thing because I do want terrorists and drug smugglers caught but the whole thing seemed pretty ineffectual.

Ineffectual to say the least. They need to build the damn fence.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    My wife and I had our first encounter with the border patrol yesterday while coming home from South Padre Island. Mind you, we never left the state of Texas but we ended up being stopped in Sarita TX. Both of us were carryiing, of course, and I must admit that I felt a bit uneasy being stopped and questioned while travelling in my own country, having never crossed a state border, let along an international one. It reminded me of the Nazi checkpoints - "vere are your papers?". Anyway, we waited in a double line of about 20 cars and trucks as we inched forward. A federal agent with a dog circled each vehicle. I was half expecting the dog to go crazy on our vehicle because we had our Pekingese and Japanese Chin in crates at the back of our Yukon. Then I figured we'd have to get out and at some point explain that we were armed. But that never happened. When it was our turn the agent asked if we would roll down the windows so he could look inside. We complied. Then he asked if we were both citizens of the U.S., to which my wife responded yes. Funny, because he looked Mexican and had a heavy Hispanic accent. I was tempted to ask him the same question. Anyway, the encounter only lasted seconds and we were waved on. I'm kind of conflicted on the whole thing because I do want terrorists and drug smugglers caught but the whole thing seemed pretty ineffectual.
    The first time I went through a border check point was several years ago leaving El Paso headed to Albuquerque. I pulled up to the the check point and a hispanic agent started speaking to me in spanish. I pause when he finished speaking and looked at him and said with my Texas accent. If you cannot repeat that in Engish, we have a proble. He said "go on, your not who we are looking for".

5. My experience was going into western Canada during the mid 1970's. I was not armed and was in the Army Reserves and had a military ID card. The guards had this darn drug dog. I was asked to exit the car. The dog goes immediately to the back left corner of the car and starts pawing the carpet. The guards pulled up the floor covering in the rental car and found nothing. They then pulled the dog out and backed off for a few seconds, then released the dog again. Darn dog makes a dash for the exact same spot and begins the pawing process. I asked the guard "what gives"? The guard responded, "well, it is possible that the rental car was used to carry drugs at some point and that residue remains in the vehicle". The border patrol then took me into an office. They scanned my military ID card through a machine where I could see the monitor. I was amazed at the information that scrolled up on this device. I was impressed with the technology even at that time. I was released after they ran my identification. Now remember that was going INTO Canada. Coming back across----I don't even think my vehicle was searched. I was just asked if I was a US citizen.

Wonder when we'll have to carry "papers", just traveling between States, like they had to do in Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia?
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

I remember SPI from 2 or 3 decades ago when nothing was there. There were long stretches of barren beach where drug/IA smugglers could reach American soil and smuggle goods/people into the country very easily.

Like it or not routine checkpoints is one of the most cost effective and practical ways to catch illegals and drugs coming into the county.

Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    The first time I went through a border check point was several years ago leaving El Paso headed to Albuquerque. I pulled up to the the check point and a hispanic agent started speaking to me in spanish. I pause when he finished speaking and looked at him and said with my Texas accent. If you cannot repeat that in Engish, we have a proble. He said "go on, your not who we are looking for".
    We have the same experience...only my friends and we spent our time in San Diego and decided to go across the border for some lobsters. Coming back, the patrol spoke to me in Spanish and I told him to repeat it in English so that my companions can understand what he was saying. My mistake was telling him that in Spanish too...habit from when I was young my grandma will speak to me in Spanish and I have to answer her back in Spanish. And NO, I am NOT Mexican and I do not speak Mexican spanish, but there is a similarity...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I go through the checkpoint near Falfurius, Tx about once a month without any problems or hassles. If you could see the
    amount of drugs and the number of illegals they stop you really wouldn't mind the small inconvenience. Now, what does
    bother me is that on the other side of the highway going South they have a whole slew of cameras and scanners that
    monitor each car as it goes by. Now, what is the purpose of that? I consider it an invasion of privacy and often times
    I just roll down the window and give them the finger as I whiz by at 75 mph. I'm hoping that one day they'll chase me down
    and question me so I'll know what that's all about.
    Also, about 20 miles prior to the immigration check point at Falfurius, there is a section of road that has what appears to be
    several sensors implanted into the highway that you have to drive over. I usually swing off onto the shoulder to avoid them just to see if I can get a response out of someone, again, so I'll know what that's all about. The wiring appears to go to a junction box across the highway on the South bound side going to a Texas DOT junction box --- out in the middle of no
    where. I wish someone could tell me what these two sets of equipment are really for.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Like it or not routine checkpoints is one of the most cost effective and practical ways to catch illegals and drugs coming into the county.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTTAHERE View Post
    I go through the checkpoint near Falfurius, Tx about once a month without any problems or hassles. If you could see the
    amount of drugs and the number of illegals they stop you really wouldn't mind the small inconvenience.
    So that's it? 12 - 20 million illegals and tons of drugs moving around the country? If these checkpoints are really the most effective and practical, why are we even bothering?
    ... they have a whole slew of cameras and scanners that
    monitor each car as it goes by. ... there is a section of road that has what appears to be
    several sensors implanted into the highway that you have to drive over... The wiring appears to go to a junction box across the highway on the South bound side going to a Texas DOT junction box --- out in the middle of no
    where. I wish someone could tell me what these two sets of equipment are really for.
    Being a truck driver, I've been noticing cameras popping up more and more all over the place. I live in PA and frequently drive into and around NYC and D.C., so I doubt that those cameras are looking for illegals. Call me nuts, call me paranoid, whatever. THEY are watching us.

The highway sensors you mentioned sound like the ones that are usually (but not always) located near a commercial vehicle weigh station. They are able to weigh trucks as they pass over them at highway speed.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I've been traveiling TX for years and the check points for an honest person is no problem. Spainish accents from most Mexicans is prevalent, everywhere.
    They do a good job, IMHO
    Peaceful

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast