Republic of Texas - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Republic of Texas

When I was In Nam, There were a Bunch of 'hem dar Texans guys around and they were pretty bend to sucession back then. But..... That is what Every Texan has been taught since they were born....

Is it Fact? You be the judge....
    Q: Doesn't the Texas Constitution reserve the right of Texas to secede?
    A: This heavily popularized bit of Texas folklore finds no corroboration where it counts: No such provision is found in the current Texas Constitution (adopted in 1876) or the terms of annexation. However, it does state (in Article 1, Section 1) that "Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States..." (note that it does not state "...subject to the President of the United States..." or "...subject to the Congress of the United States..." or "...subject to the collective will of one or more of the other States...")
    Texas Secede! FAQ

Google says..... 856,000 hits on Texas Sucession....
    Last edited by ricbak; 01-31-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Sp
    Semper Fi

Apparently Texas doesn't have the right to secede, but does retain the right to divide itself into as many as four additional States. One can only wonder if, once divided, those new States would have to apply for Statehood independently, and what would be the case if they DIDN'T.

Third -- New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; and such states as may be formed out of the territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri Compromise Line, shall be admitted into the Union, with or without slavery, as the people of each State, asking admission shall desire;
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

That would give us 8 additional senators - presumably conservative.

Interesting point about Texas creating 4 additional states. Beware of grass looking greener on the other side, though. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that the majority of people in the Dallas area have no interest in secession. I also heard (unconfirmed again) that Montana has certain provisions for secession in their constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    When I was In Nam, There were a Bunch of 'hem dar Texans guys around and they were pretty bend to sucession back then. But..... That is what Every Texan has been taught since they were born....

Is it Fact? You be the judge....

Texas Secede! FAQ

Google says..... 856,000 hits on Texas Sucession....
    Thank you, ricbak, for providing an answer to my inquiry!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    If Texas secedes (or states that it is going to), I will move there in a heartbeat. May be a sh#tstorm as BighouseDoc suggests, but fighting it out beats kneeling down.
    +1. I'm there
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

the state of texas has a economy almost equal to that of Russia's, i honestly dont see how texas would not work as a
    independent nation.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    +1. I'm there
    Im in.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

JSDinTexas Guest
    Well, the idea is generally accepted favorably by many Texans, Gov Rick Perry (R) and myself included.
    I was asked to join a movement some 20 years ago and while I was mulling it over, the TX Rangers and DPS swooped down on a bunch of the boys that issued my invitation (sort of like the Waco thing) and some of them are probably still in the pen. Seems like existing govts don't like this kind of action.

As to Mexico, they already tried it and didn't do too well (Santa Ana and the Alamo thing then the real McCoy at the Battle of San Jacinto) so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Still, it's an idea that should stay on the table - we have the oil and guns to survive most anything. Remember The Alamo!

jsdinTexas - a 4th generation Texan

To all you God fearing patriots-All I can say is Welcome, come on down. To any liberal/Marxists please go somewhere else!
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123