Massachusetts Finally Restoring The Unabridged Second Amendment?

Thread: Massachusetts Finally Restoring The Unabridged Second Amendment?

Massachusetts Finally Restoring The Unabridged Second Amendment?

Not Exactly, but be that as it may...
    its an improvement...

IF it was up to me & I lived in Massachusetts; I would be introducing the Massachusetts Unabridged Second Amendment Restoration Act rolling back decades of Massachusetts Anti-Second Amendment Fubar...
    THE UNABRIDGED SECOND AMENDMENT:
    http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/unabridged.2nd.html

Perhaps, in the wake of Scott Brown's recent victory; Massachusetts Firearm Owners & Constitution Supporting Citizens will call & write their State Representatives on this matter and urge them to get it right this time...
    Start here:
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

BOSTON — January 27th, 2010

No individual under the age of 18 would be allowed to handle a fully automatic firearm, even with a parent’s permission, under legislation overhauling the state’s gun laws that lawmakers considered Wednesday.
    The bill, filed by Rep. George Peterson (R-Grafton), includes a provision allowing individuals over the age of 18 to temporarily hold or fire a machine gun at a gun show. But they must do so in the presence of an individual licensed to handle machine guns, according to Peterson.
    Peterson said he included the provision in a broader firearms bill, in part, to address concerns aired after a 2008 incident at a Westfield gun club, where an 8-year-old boy was killed while he was handling a machine gun.

The current law is “ambiguous” on the handling of automatic firearms, Peterson said after testifying before Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. “Clearly, the boy was not old enough, physically able to control the firearm,” he said. “Unfortunately, we can’t regulate common sense, or bad decisions by parents. This is one way that will address the age limit.”

An attempt to simplify the state’s gun laws, the bill (H 2259) includes a raft of other provisions, reducing four firearm licenses to one and establishing 13 categories that prevent people from owning a gun. The bill, which lists nine Democratic backers and seven Republicans, drew support from both chairs of Public Safety Committee.

The categories include a person indicted of a crime punishable by up to a year in jail, a person convicted of a violent crime or tagged with a restraining order, a fugitive from justice, an undocumented immigrant, or a person who has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship.

The bill also centralizes gun licensing authority in the Executive Office of Public Safety, with local police chiefs acting as “licensing agents.”
    “We have close to 351 different licensing standards across the state,” Peterson said, referring to local police chiefs who currently have the ability to issue gun licenses. “This clears up that ambiguity and makes the licensing procedure clear-cut.”

Sen. James Timilty (D-Walpole), the Senate chair of the Public Safety Committee, called it a “great bill” and said he hoped to see “passage in some form this year.”

“There should be one standard for applying for what is a constitutional right,” Timilty said.

Rep. Michael Costello, the House chair and former assistant district attorney, pledged to work with Peterson on the bill but said he had concerns about taking authority away from local police chiefs, since “nobody is closer on the ground.”

Costello (D-Newburyport) added: “I like the idea of focusing on a prohibited class.”

Lauren Hyer, executive director of Stop Handgun Violence, said she is still reviewing the bill, but took issue with one component: She said the licensing authority should stay with police chiefs.

“It should be in the hands of the communities,” she said. “They know the people in the communities.”

She added that Massachusetts has among the lowest firearm fatality rates in the nation. “Our [present] gun laws have worked out,” she said.
    Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners’ Action League, said the bill is the “top priority, period” for his group.

“This is a starting point. The system we have now is not working,” and is focusing on lawful gun owners instead of illegal gun owners, he said. “The laws have to be clear about who is a criminal and how they should be prosecuted.”

Wallace pointed to one provision in the bill establishing a special unit within the State Police focusing on criminal firearms and trafficking.

“We’ll have one entity in the state that is investigating those cases,” he said.

Key lawmakers warm to bipartisan bill overhauling gun laws - Dedham, MA - The Daily News Transcript

WTFU SHEEPLE...

Rights You Do Not Use & Support You Lose...

Bill of Rights...
    God Given...
    Non-Negotiable...

Without our Liberties, we have NOTHING...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

She added that Massachusetts has among the lowest firearm fatality rates in the nation. “Our [present] gun laws have worked out,” she said.
    She did not mention how much their gun laws stomp on peoples rights...
    Semper Fi

4. does anyone know what the total murder rate and violent crime rates are? In England, gun deaths went way down after the gun control laws, but the murder and violent crime rates went up.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

More Guns, Less Crime in 2009:
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/...ime_in_09.html

NRA-ILA :: More Guns, Less Crime (Again) in 2008

NRA-ILA :: Crime Statistics

GUN CONTROL FACT-SHEET (2004)

Gun Ban Prevents Army Veteran From Saving Coworkers' Lives

5/01 Backdoor Gun Bans

They are not being very forthcoming about the mythology of any effectiveness of Massachusetts firearms laws; AKA: Second Amendment Infringements...

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's annual Uniform Crime Report ranking of cities over 40,000 in population by violent crime rates (per 100,000 population) finds that the ten cities with the highest violent crime rates for 2003 include three cities in the very strict state of New Jersey, one in the fairly restrictive state of Massachusetts.
    # City State 1 Saginaw MI 2 Irvington NJ 3 Camden NJ 4 Alexandria LA 5 Detroit MI 6 East Orange NJ 7 Atlanta GA 8 Springfield MA 9 Fort Myers FL 10 Miami FL
    Gun politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NRA-ILA :: Crime Statistics

GUN-FREE ZONES ACT: MYTH VS. REALITY

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Imagine if one kid acidentally killed another swinging a golf club and some ass in the legislature wanted to make it a crime to let any kid under 18 handle a golf club. Think that would pass? The nanny state has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Imagine if one kid acidentally killed another swinging a golf club and some ass in the legislature wanted to make it a crime to let any kid under 18 handle a golf club. Think that would pass? The nanny state has to stop.
    I agree! Anything can be used as a murder weapon -- rocks, knives, baseball bats, bricks, cars, etc. The possibilities are only limited by what the enraged, murderous mind can conceive. They can't outlaw everything...can they?
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    I agree! Anything can be used as a murder weapon -- rocks, knives, baseball bats, bricks, cars, etc.
    One of the most humorous news stories I've seen over the years was about a man who beat his friend to death with a sausage. It was one of those larger summer-sausages and it was frozen. It's tragic of course that someone lost their life, but come on... death by sausage? Just...wow.

That news story was one of the many things that opened my eyes to how futile it is to ban a weapon. Objects are not the problem. People and their actions are the problem. Nothing we can come up with can change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    I agree! Anything can be used as a murder weapon -- rocks, knives, baseball bats, bricks, cars, etc. The possibilities are only limited by what the enraged, murderous mind can conceive. They can't outlaw everything...can they?
    Right, and I wasn't even talking about murder. I was thinking an accidental killing. Wonder how many kids are seriously injured each year at parties when a kid with a blindfold on is wildly swinging a stick or bat, trying to break open a pinata (you know that paper mache thing stuffed with toys and candy). To me blind-folding a kid and letting them swing a bat is more irresponsible than allowing them to handle an automatic weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Great Point, here's another...

Most will recall that Chicago has had a weapons ban similar to D.C.'s about as long or longer; thanks to the Gun Banning Mayor Daley(s), et.al.

Not withstanding that despite the total ban on hand guns by law-abiding citizens, Chicago has one of the highest violent crime rates with you guessed it; "hand guns"...

Recently there was a national news story where a honor roll student got beat to death with a two-by-four (Lumber, A Piece Of Wood) by gang bangers in front of his high school, while defending his friend who had been jumped...

mmm... lets see what would Obama do?

Lets introduce, the Douglas Fir BAN Act of 2010!