Our rights

Thread: Our rights

Our rights

I'm tired of reading on these boards that our rights are limited to the ones in the Bill of Rights. That's what the first 10 amendments to the Constitution are collectively known as, in case you didn't know.

I'm surprised and amazed that the kind of people who visit these forums are so narrow-minded about our rights. I want you to read the 9th and 10th amendments:

9. The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    10. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

So many of you are quick to say that driving is a privilige. And now I read on another thread that airline travel is a privilige. How do you come up with that? Where was our freedom of movement ever given to the U.S or the States? You could maybe make a case for travel between States (interstate commerce) but that's a stretch. The framers never envisioned that we would be constrained from going anywhere within the country that we wanted. So they didn't think they had to list that in the Bill of Rights. And just because the train, the automobile and the plane have supplanted walking and horseback does not mean that the government has suddenly been empowered to regulate our movement because of technological advancement - any more than they can regulate speech because of radio, TV and the Internet. Stop being so flippant with your rights! All of them, not just those that the framers held so dear that they listed them.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

You're frikkin' right on, AVT.

Unfortunately, we are not EVER gonna get back to a Jeffersonian Republic. Never. We're so far removed from that now, it would take a generations-long political fight to do so and that is not going to happen. Look at all the sheep in the country (50%), then look at the next generation coming up (more sheep - just give 'em a job and some tech toys and they'll quietly go along), and then look at the average age of those of us who post here.

Just like most of the Tea Partiers, we're a lot of old-timers. We may be tough and ornery, but we're still old and I don't see large numbers of patriots coming up behind us to take up the fight.

Just me, and I admit to being cynical as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Just like most of the Tea Partiers, we're a lot of old-timers. We may be tough and ornery, but we're still old and I don't see large numbers of patriots coming up behind us to take up the fight.

Just me, and I admit to being cynical as hell.
    That's not funny Jack... I spent the better part of the afternoon at a couple house taking about "Teaparty" stuff and planning the next 2 months. There are only a few people under 30 and that's because their parents are there with us. The rest of us are old Pharts like us. These people are well read, moderate incomes, active in their churches and truly grateful for their lives in this country. Sad... Truely sad.
    Semper Fi

A lot of our young patriots are in the Middle East right now. There is still room for hope.
    A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern.