Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Does the saying "YOU LIE" ring any bells?

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

“As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to re-institute the ban on the sale of assault weapons,” Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

“I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum.” Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

“Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades,” the warning said. “Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez.”

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

“I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts,” he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

“It’s something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign,” he said. “There are obviously a number of things that are — that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I’m not sure exactly what the sequencing will be.”

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, “I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder’s comments right now.”

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

“I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller,” Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual’s right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

“A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country,” LaPierre said. “I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it’s clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution.”

Source ABC Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban - ABC News
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

This ABC News link looks to be last year. So far, with Health Care Taking Center Circus Ring, not much has been happening. With 3 Democratic loses, I think It may stay quiet.
    Semper Fi

Why am I not surprised.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

“Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades,” the warning said.

Banning assault weapons won't have an affect on the cartels employing automatic weapons. If the weapons came from the US illegally they're not worried about following the proposed ban and if they were altered illegally they aren't worried about following the existing law against it and they'll still be able to illegally modify the post ban weapons (provided the proposed new ban was exactly the same as the old ban but it'll probably be worse).

“I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't "cop killer bullets" armor piercing pistol rounds? Aren't they already illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by 91JEEPYJ View Post
    “Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades,” the warning said.

Banning assault weapons won't have an affect on the cartels employing automatic weapons. If the weapons came from the US illegally they're not worried about following the proposed ban and if they were altered illegally they aren't worried about following the existing law against it and they'll still be able to illegally modify the post ban weapons (provided the proposed new ban was exactly the same as the old ban but it'll probably be worse).

“I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't "cop killer bullets" armor piercing pistol rounds? Aren't they already illegal?
    Any bullet that strikes a LEO has the potential to kill him/her...

I think that banning the President from urinating on the Constitution and the Bill of Rights would be a better way to exert energy.

Allow The police that have to deal with the drug cartels at the borders to execute the gang members and drug dealers that cross the border. I'm sure we have plenty of information and some level of intelegence to know who is who. If not perhaps we had better get it.
    Leave their rotting carcasses there to send a clear message, The same way they behave.
    Yea I know, we don't operate that way. Perhaps we need to take it to that level.

Jim Malone: You said you wanted to get Capone. Do you really wanna get him? You see what I'm saying is, what are you prepared to do?
    Eliot Ness: Anything within the law.
    Jim Malone: And *then* what are you prepared to do? If you open the can on these worms you must be prepared to go all the way. Because they're not gonna give up the fight, until one of you is dead.
    Eliot Ness: I want to get Capone! I don't know how to do it.
    Jim Malone: You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? I'm offering you a deal. Do you want this deal?
    Eliot Ness: I have sworn to capture this man with all legal powers at my disposal and I will do so.
    Jim Malone: Well, the Lord hates a coward.
    [jabs Ness with his hand, and Ness shakes it]
    Jim Malone: Do you know what a blood oath is, Mr. Ness?
    Eliot Ness: Yes.
    Jim Malone: Good, 'cause you just took one.

So take the right to own whatever firearms we want away because the war on drugs has been a loosing one for many years? They fight a different way because they don't care about anything but the money...
    The ban will not work. We have gun control laws here and still have criminals that can get them and kill people that can't get them because they were denied a LTC for some reason like quotas, The issuing body just thinks no one needs or should have them...

Yea I know posting and ranting is not going to fix it all...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Let a sleeping dog lie!!

I remember that article last year, it's old! We would want it to stay that way, but don't get me wrong, practically EVERY anti-gun advocate and group is pressuring him everyday to re-enact the AWB. Right now he has way too much on his plate, let's not bring up the "AWB" and let time fly!

You know, I'm all for gun reform, but not in the way most people think. I'd happily extend the waiting period another 5 days or more if it could actually accomplish anything. If they'd actually do thorough background checks instead of the half ass method they use now. I don't think many law abiding gun owners would mind wating upwards of a week to get their firearm. There's very little reason to need a hand gun or semi automatic immediately. It's not like hunting season magically appears without warning. And if you have dangerous people after you that you need to defend yourself from, going into witness protection is probably a better choice than playing Rambo.

Banning hi capacity magazines doesn't accomplish anything. Columbine happened five years after the law was enacted, and too many innocent people lost lives. Clearly stopping the type of weapons isn't the solution, rather stopping the wrong people from getting the weapons in the first place is a better method.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Going into witness protection???

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post
    You know, I'm all for gun reform, but not in the way most people think. I'd happily extend the waiting period another 5 days or more if it could actually accomplish anything. If they'd actually do thorough background checks instead of the half ass method they use now. I don't think many law abiding gun owners would mind wating upwards of a week to get their firearm. There's very little reason to need a hand gun or semi automatic immediately. It's not like hunting season magically appears without warning. And if you have dangerous people after you that you need to defend yourself from, going into witness protection is probably a better choice than playing Rambo.
    Witness protection is only for those that cut a deal with the govt. Tell that to the estranged wife whose husband has a meth addiction and has threatened to kill her repeatedly. Tell it to the guy whose house got broken into this weekend while he was out icefishing. Tell it to the lady from your church who was raped and robbed because the streetgang members that followed her to the ATM at the minimall wanted to initiate a new member.

You have no right to judge who needs a gun NOW and who can wait. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Considering the FBI themselves busted the myth of "Assault Weapons" coming primarily from the U.S. into Mexico I see Eric Holder as just another misinformed Attorney General.

Not that he would look at facts or anything.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post

Banning hi capacity magazines doesn't accomplish anything. Columbine happened five years after the law was enacted, and too many innocent people lost lives. Clearly stopping the type of weapons isn't the solution, rather stopping the wrong people from getting the weapons in the first place is a better method.
    How much much more "thorough" of an investigative background check would you consider "thorugh?"

If your not a felon, not currently strapped with an emergency protective order or permanent protective order, or have been convicted of domestic violence then I see nothing more needed to purchase a firearm, and after your background check walk out of the store/dealer with your firearm.

What is the 5 day wait going to accomplish ?? If I where so inclined and determined to do harm to another individual than I am most likely going to do him or her harm anyway. I can club someone just as easy as shoot them. It makes no sense, unless your attempting to predict human behavior based on a progressive liberal ideology that "We know better than you how your going to behave"

I'm more worried about drunk drivers than I am gun owners. I'm betting that last night more people died on the roads of the United States than all the Columbines and Virginia Tech's combined. I'm certain that number would be surprising, espcially with those deaths that are connected with alcohol. Just last nights numbers, not even this weeks.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast