Open Letter To Glendale, AZ Councilmember & Mayor

Thread: Open Letter To Glendale, AZ Councilmember & Mayor

Exclamation Open Letter To Glendale, AZ Councilmember & Mayor

FEEDBACK anyone??? Was I tactful, yet to the point enough? Did I miss anything? Arizona, especially west valley and Glendale residents...join me in this?

Good afternoon Mayor Scruggs and Councilmember Knaack...

It just came to my attention that firearms are prohibited at the Westgate complex, either open or legally concealed. (Rule #19 in the Code of Conduct on the Westgate website).

This is concerning and alarming, and is a dangerous policy for the public...it is also possibly an unlawful policy; but please correct me if I'm wrong. Check Arizona Revised Statute 13-3108.

I'm not sure where either of you stand on the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution, and frankly it doesn't matter. Arizona law has historically been very friendly and open to lawful gun ownership and to citizens exercising their right to carry a firearm in most public (and private) places. Arizona has become even friendlier through recent legislation loosening laws restricting firearm possession in other areas of state government. It troubles me as a voting, taxpaying citizen of Glendale and Arizona that all firearms are banned from Westgate, regardless of whether a person has been approved by the state of Arizona to carry a concealed weapon or not. Furthermore, this ban represents the beginnings of a police state of sorts, and must be reversed. I believe Westgate will be a much safer place when a ban on lawful firearm possession is lifted.

Criminals don't care about the laws, that's what makes them criminals. If some whacked-out meth junkie decided to go in there guns blazing, there would be hundreds if not thousands of unarmed citizens (women and children included) that could not protect themselves, and could not possibly be protected by the minimal police presence there. This is the very reason that schools are such a popular target for such persons. I could cite many instances where this has been the case in places where firearms are not allowed. Bans on guns in such places lends only to embolden shooters who would take the lives of unarmed, innocent people.

I don't expect this to apply to the Jobing.com Arena or the University of Phoenix stadium, though that could be a consideration for the future.

Councilmember Knaack, I, and thousands of law abiding Glendale and Arizona citizens who have the right to defend themselves in public or in private, would like you to please introduce legislation or an order that would lift the ban on legal possession of firearms at Westgate, allowing citizens to carry openly, and/or to carry concealed as Arizona laws allow, in the outdoor areas of Westgate, and allow individual businesses within Westgate to set their own policy as to whether they wish to allow or disallow firearms in their own places of business.

Please also carefully consider Arizona Revised Statute 13-3108, which limits the rights of political subdivisions within Arizona to enact policies banning lawful firearm possession.

Please keep me informed on the progress on this subject, as I would like to follow up in the near future.

Thanks for your time,
    Resident
    Barrel District, Glendale

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

Nice letter. Probably more tactful than I'd have been. Good job. Good luck.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

I don't think the issue is tact. Rather, it is one of perception.

Try to imagine what an anti-gun mayor and councilman will visualize when they read your letter - hundreds if not thousands of armed citizens (women and children included) protecting themselves by firing their legal weapons at what they perceive to be a threat - not a good image.

I would have just stuck with the "state law says your local law is invalid" argument.

Interesting perspective. For one thing, I'd find it hard to believe if they would be anti-gun, honestly. There is a reason that I voted for then both more than once. Things aren't like they are in NY here in AZ. Totally different mindset. That would be an extreme perspective, even in an anti-gun state. That line of thinking makes it come across as a threat, which it is by no means.

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

Just spoke with my city council lady, and final answer: Westgate is PRIVATE PROPERTY, soooooo...no guns, no money.