March 2nd has Arrived - Links to What is happening at SCOTUS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March 2nd has Arrived - Links to What is happening at SCOTUS

BTW - transcript of today's oral argument can be gotten here:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_a...ts/08-1521.pdf

Scalia and Roberts kept alluding to rational limitations being imposed through the political process even if the 2nd is incorporated.

...and another thing >> Why does the Supreme Court rely so heavily on case law and precedents? I think that is wrong in that it takes so far away from the "original intent" of the Constitution. Can't the current bench interpret Constitutional law closer to "original intent" relying on themselves more. May seem naive of me but I think you get my jist!

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    BTW - transcript of today's oral argument can be gotten here:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/oral_a...ts/08-1521.pdf

Scalia and Roberts kept alluding to rational limitations being imposed through the political process even if the 2nd is incorporated.
    Thanks for the post, I guess I have to save that link to PDF and continue reading...
    Semper Fi

Exclamation It is part of the progressive movement.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    ...and another thing >> Why does the Supreme Court rely so heavily on case law and precedents? I think that is wrong in that it takes so far away from the "original intent" of the Constitution. Can't the current bench interpret Constitutional law closer to "original intent" relying on themselves more. May seem naive of me but I think you get my jist!
    Case law is what is taught in the colleges...hasbeen for over 60 years...
    IT is not constitutional law...It is law about feelings. The jury's feelings and the rights of the criminal.
    Constitutional law would have hemmed up the whole dang thing with common sense.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Case law is what is taught in the colleges...hasbeen for over 60 years...
    IT is not constitutional law...It is law about feelings. The jury's feelings and the rights of the criminal.
    Constitutional law would have hemmed up the whole dang thing with common sense.
    God Forbid we rely on common sense. I'm so thankful I had outstanding teachers in my formative years. I realized, when I attended the University of New Hampshire as a Political Science Major, that not everyone else had the same good fortune as me. It was also apparent that one need not be "smart" to attend college!

7. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The courts can find interstate activity in just about every commercial activity. It would be nearly impossible to establish that no part of the manufacturing process involved interstate commerce. a stamp would be meaningless.
    Agreed, it all depends on what judge you get (or the makeup of the Court) and how good your lawyer is (or the ACLU lawyer). Our system is sick (as in ill, haveing a medical condition), although I don't believe it is terminal, yet.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Why use common sense? It doesn't leave room for an agenda! Common sense is a scarce commodity, like the devaluing dollar.
    Read the first 29 pages of the transcript from the hearing McDonald vs Chicago. Scalia is amazing. He has common sense for sure! Read the rest later today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12