McDonald for Dummies...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McDonald for Dummies...

McDonald for Dummies...

OK...this forum is home to some of the most politically savvy and insightful people I know. How 'bout helping a Brother out . . .

Suppose 'McDonald' goes the way we'd like it, and The Supremes knock down the Chicago handgun ban. Word is that it would mean "incorporation" which, from what I've been able to determine, is a good thing. But for the rest of us, who don't follow this stuff the way some follow baseball, what does that actually mean to us? What are the practical, tangible ramifications of success in this case? What will it mean to me, day-to-day, as a firearms enthusiast and 2nd Amendment supporter living in New Jersey? Layman's terms, please.

Your turn...
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32° & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

I'd like to Second that Motion.
    I have been very impressed with the Knowledge on these pages. I am sure that how ever the outcome, it will be debated and talked about long after I'm dust.
    Semper Fi

Opinion

I am no scholar, but it will probably not help out those in Jersey. It all comes down to the majority opinion. I am guessing they will strike down the total ban in Chicago and elsewhere, but leave the ability for "reasonable regulation". Which will just get Chicagoans the same crap they now have in DC where you can't buy much more than a revolver and they will try to make you keep it locked up even in your home.

Exclamation This can go soooo many ways...

It can be a Chicago thing and free that city while allowing extreme taxation of a God given right to self defense.

It can be a blanket for the whole country that basically tells all the cities to suck it up and deal with it.

It can be a we'll let you as soon as you pass this 27 page background check and become a may issue like Californication.

There are already wolves circling trying to figure out how many lambs they can carry off without breaking the law.

In my humble opinion. This will end up much the same way that DC did.

NYC will have to file it's own lawsuit and I hope they have enough money to take little Mikey to the woodshed and hurt him in his wallet for oppressing the good people of that burg.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

The McDonald decision will end total handgun bans, and change "may issue" states into "shall issue" states at least as far as owning a firearm for use as a home defense weapon. Beyond that there will be much left to be determined by the political proces and future litigation.

I think the Nordyke v. King case out of the 9th circuit is going to me even more important. That case held that the 2nd amendment does apply to the states, but that a county could still ban all firearms from all county owned property. The full court decided to review the opinion and then put the review on hold waiting for the McDonald decision.

After McDonald is decided (an assuming it holds as expected that the 2nd amendment applies to the states), then the 9th Circuit will address the reasonable regulation aspect.

If the 9th Circuit upholds the regulation, we can only hope that the SCOTUS grants Certiorari and reverses, otherwise mayors like Bloomberg will push for laws banning all firearms from any public place where children might be, which would effectively ban handguns from NYC other than in the home.

First & Foremost we need to tell the guys at the NRA & SAF and others to stop sending Alan Gura to SCOTUS to defend the Second Amendment, because in my view; with help like his we may as well bend over & grab some sand...
    Send somebody like Stewart Rhodes up there, whom won't concede anything as a acceptable Second Amendment infringement...
    http://oathkeepers.org/

In the case of New Jersey, THIS year your fellow N.J. citizens elected Gun-Banning RINO Chris Christie over Gun-Banning Libtard Jon Corzine...
    Not much of an improvement...
    Chris Christie whom conceded on Sean Hannity that there was nothing he could do (or would do, is what he was really saying) about the firearms laws...
    here is a snippet of what I warned New Jersey about before they put a RINO in office this year...
    <snip>

1. News Flash 2009 New Jersey Gubernatorial Race “All Three Candidates Are Anti-Second Amendment”
      Read the transcript of the interview Sean Hannity had with Chris Christie Tuesday October 27th, 2009…
      http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569805,00.html
      Suffice to say in his own words Chris Christie IS NO FRIEND OF GUN OWNERS OR THE SECOND AMENDMENT…
      E.G.:
      HANNITY: Are there any issues where you are, quote, moderate to left as a Republican?
      CHRISTIE: Listen, I favor some of the gun-control measures we have in New Jersey. (Send Chris Christie & the New Jersey Legislature, a copy of the Second Amendment, and ask them just what part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do they not understand?)
      HANNITY: Bad idea.
      CHRISTIE: Listen, we have a densely-populated state, and there’s a big hand gun problem in New Jersey. Now, I don’t support all the things that the governor supports by a long stretch. But I think on guns — certain gun control issues, looking at it from a law-enforcement perspective, seeing how many police officers were killed, we have an illegal gun problem in New Jersey.
      HANNITY: Should every — should every citizen in the state be allowed to get a licensed weapon if they want one?
      CHRISTIE: In New Jersey, that’s not going to happen, Sean.
      HANNITY: Why?
      CHRISTIE: Listen, the Democratic legislature we have, there’s no way those type of things — listen, at the end of the day, what I support are common sense laws that will allow people to protect themselves, but I also am very concerned about the safety of our police officers on the streets, very concerned. And I want to make sure that we don’t have an abundance of guns out there.
      But listen, the issues in this race are taxes and jobs and spending. (Lets change the subject, cause this one makes me look bad)
      HANNITY: It’s the economcy, stupid. (sure I will let you off the hook)
      CHRISTIE: Listen, New Jersey has more than doubled its debt in the last eight years. We’ve raised taxes 110 times in the last eight years. We need to turn this around, or we’re going to become a permanent second tier state.
      HANNITY: I think the entire northeast is in — in jeopardy of having massive portions of its population leave because they can’t afford it.
      The Problem here is New Jersey needs a fourth Candidate because THEY ALL SUCK…
      And Sean Hannity Let Chris Christie OFF THE FRICKING HOOK…
      So lets see IF you live in New Jersey you have a 3-Way choice between which gun banner you want for Governor…
      In the mean time I encourage all to email, snailmail, call, fax and other wise hound Sean Hannity for letting Chris Christe off the hook on the Second Amendment…
      http://www.hannity.com/contactus.asp
      Chris Daggett’s Facebook Page:
      http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=101556790085

4. GUN CONTROL
      Second Amendment rights must be upheld, because American citizens have the right to bear arms. However, there is a limit when firearms endanger public safety. We support New Jersey’s aggressive gun control laws, including a ban on automatic and .50 caliber guns. The sport of hunting has a long tradition in our state; we support the rights of hunters in New Jersey.
      Can you guess what my problem is with the Independent who would be Governor Chris Daggett of New Jersey?
      New Jersey IF your listening VOTE NONE OF THE ABOVE!
      Demand a Candidate whom shares your values and those of the founding fathers…

</snip>

I suspect like D.C.; New Jersey & Chicago will attempt every conceivable end-run around any SCOTUS Decision, unless the decision is better then Heller, which basically prohibits a outright ban, but allows regulation, registration, approval criteria Ad nauseam...

In plain English; until SCOTUS or Congress; or WE THE PEOPLE, unconditionally reaffirm the "UNABRIDGED SECOND AMENDMENT"...
    http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/unabridged.2nd.html

Then expect something along the lines of D.C., post-Heller; where if you live long enough to get your application approved; you will be privileged enough to have a revolver loaded with government approved and registered ammo in your own home...

I don't see anything happening with the Concealed Weapons Permit "SHALL ISSUE" OR "MAY ISSUE" issue, without SCOTUS reversing itself in D.C. v. Heller, with McDonald v. Chicago, that would be too broad a decision, which historically they are very reluctant to do...

We need another case that affirms what we already know... "The Second Amendment IS my Concealed Carry Permit" - Ted Nugent.

FYI: Read this related, ongoing thread here at USACARRY for further detail...
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/2nd-a...e-2a-laws.html

WTFU SHEEPLE!

Take Back The Republic!

First Rule of Constitutional Interpretation, your Rights do not come from Government...
    http://oath-keepers.blogspot.com/200...nciple-of.html

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    First & Foremost we need to tell the guys at the NRA & SAF and others to stop sending Alan Gura to SCOTUS to defend the Second Amendment, because in my view; with help like his we may as well bend over & grab some sand...
    Send somebody like Stewart Rhodes up there, whom won't concede anything as a acceptable Second Amendment infringement...
    Oath Keepers Oath Keepers – Guardians of the Republic

In the case of New Jersey, THIS year your fellow N.J. citizens elected Gun-Banning RINO Chris Christie over Gun-Banning Libtard Jon Corzine...
    Not much of an improvement...
    Chris Christie whom conceded on Sean Hannity that there was nothing he could do (or would do, is what he was really saying) about the firearms laws...
    here is a snippet of what I warned New Jersey about before they put a RINO in office this year...
    <snip>

1. News Flash 2009 New Jersey Gubernatorial Race “All Three Candidates Are Anti-Second Amendment”
      Read the transcript of the interview Sean Hannity had with Chris Christie Tuesday October 27th, 2009…
      Chris Christie Fighting to Finish Line - Hannity - FOXNews.com
      Suffice to say in his own words Chris Christie IS NO FRIEND OF GUN OWNERS OR THE SECOND AMENDMENT…
      E.G.:
      HANNITY: Are there any issues where you are, quote, moderate to left as a Republican?
      CHRISTIE: Listen, I favor some of the gun-control measures we have in New Jersey. (Send Chris Christie & the New Jersey Legislature, a copy of the Second Amendment, and ask them just what part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do they not understand?)
      HANNITY: Bad idea.
      CHRISTIE: Listen, we have a densely-populated state, and there’s a big hand gun problem in New Jersey. Now, I don’t support all the things that the governor supports by a long stretch. But I think on guns — certain gun control issues, looking at it from a law-enforcement perspective, seeing how many police officers were killed, we have an illegal gun problem in New Jersey.
      HANNITY: Should every — should every citizen in the state be allowed to get a licensed weapon if they want one?
      CHRISTIE: In New Jersey, that’s not going to happen, Sean.
      HANNITY: Why?
      CHRISTIE: Listen, the Democratic legislature we have, there’s no way those type of things — listen, at the end of the day, what I support are common sense laws that will allow people to protect themselves, but I also am very concerned about the safety of our police officers on the streets, very concerned. And I want to make sure that we don’t have an abundance of guns out there.
      But listen, the issues in this race are taxes and jobs and spending. (Lets change the subject, cause this one makes me look bad)
      HANNITY: It’s the economcy, stupid. (sure I will let you off the hook)
      CHRISTIE: Listen, New Jersey has more than doubled its debt in the last eight years. We’ve raised taxes 110 times in the last eight years. We need to turn this around, or we’re going to become a permanent second tier state.
      HANNITY: I think the entire northeast is in — in jeopardy of having massive portions of its population leave because they can’t afford it.
      The Problem here is New Jersey needs a fourth Candidate because THEY ALL SUCK…
      And Sean Hannity Let Chris Christie OFF THE FRICKING HOOK…
      So lets see IF you live in New Jersey you have a 3-Way choice between which gun banner you want for Governor…
      In the mean time I encourage all to email, snailmail, call, fax and other wise hound Sean Hannity for letting Chris Christe off the hook on the Second Amendment…
      Contact - The Sean Hannity Show
      Chris Daggett’s Facebook Page:
      Chris Daggett&#039;s Notes | Facebook

4. GUN CONTROL
      Second Amendment rights must be upheld, because American citizens have the right to bear arms. However, there is a limit when firearms endanger public safety. We support New Jersey’s aggressive gun control laws, including a ban on automatic and .50 caliber guns. The sport of hunting has a long tradition in our state; we support the rights of hunters in New Jersey.
      Can you guess what my problem is with the Independent who would be Governor Chris Daggett of New Jersey?
      New Jersey IF your listening VOTE NONE OF THE ABOVE!
      Demand a Candidate whom shares your values and those of the founding fathers…

</snip>

I suspect like D.C.; New Jersey & Chicago will attempt every conceivable end-run around any SCOTUS Decision, unless the decision is better then Heller, which basically prohibits a outright ban, but allows regulation, registration, approval criteria Ad nauseam...

In plain English; until SCOTUS or Congress; or WE THE PEOPLE, unconditionally reaffirm the "UNABRIDGED SECOND AMENDMENT"...
    The Unabridged Second Amendment

Then expect something along the lines of D.C., post-Heller; where if you live long enough to get your application approved; you will be privileged enough to have a revolver loaded with government approved and registered ammo in your own home...

I don't see anything happening with the Concealed Weapons Permit "SHALL ISSUE" OR "MAY ISSUE" issue, without SCOTUS reversing itself in D.C. v. Heller, with McDonald v. Chicago, that would be too broad a decision, which historically they are very reluctant to do...

We need another case that affirms what we already know... "The Second Amendment IS my Concealed Carry Permit" - Ted Nugent.

FYI: Read this related, ongoing thread here at USACARRY for further detail...
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/2nd-a...e-2a-laws.html

WTFU SHEEPLE!

Take Back The Republic!

First Rule of Constitutional Interpretation, your Rights do not come from Government...
    Oath Keepers: CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC 101: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT
    I favor gun control. We need to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals. OTOH, we need to get guns and proper training to law abiding citizens.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I favor gun control. We need to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals. OTOH, we need to get guns and proper training to law abiding citizens.

gf
    Nope. We need to punish folks for REAL crimes and have truth in sentencing. Anyone who can't be trusted with a firearm can't be trusted with a baseball bat, a kitchen kinfe, an automobile, a chain saw, etc. etc. These individuals need to be locked up in prisons or asylums. There is no such thing as an illegal gun.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Nope. We need to punish folks for REAL crimes and have truth in sentencing. Anyone who can't be trusted with a firearm can't be trusted with a baseball bat, a kitchen kinfe, an automobile, a chain saw, etc. etc. These individuals need to be locked up in prisons or asylums. There is no such thing as an illegal gun.
    A gun is a much more effective weapon than a a baseball bat, a kitchen kinfe, an automobile, a chain saw, etc. etc.

If we followed your logic, then a state could ban guns because one could just as well use a a baseball bat, a kitchen kinfe, an automobile, a chain saw, etc. etc. for home defense.

And a gun can be a much more dangerous weapon than a a baseball bat, a kitchen kinfe, an automobile, a chain saw, etc. etc.

We need to keep guns out of the hands of idiots as well as criminals. The key is finding the proper balance. Those who propose either extreme are the real threat to our freedoms.

I'm just as much against anarchy as I am against tyranny.

I'm guessing that the ban will be lifted, but leaving or creating lots of controls ala New Jersey.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast