Keep my rights or keep my job - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep my rights or keep my job

are you employed by the government? 1st amendment only applies to the government. A private employer does not owe you any 1st amendment protections.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    My boss told me Friday to stop discussing guns at work because it was making "someone uncomfortable." This violated my 1st and 14th amendment rights. My only choice, however, was to give up my rights or give up my job.

My response was to tell him that while my 1st amendment rights had been violated, he or his boss would not violate my 2nd amendment rights - I left him to think about that one.
    I'd be extremely cautions when talking about guns and gun rights with what seems to be "anti" folks. They may construe your comment as a threat and follow up with personnel action. Many companies have policies against "violence in the workplace". Though I don't agree with a lot of policies, fact is that they are there and violation could result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Yes they have, yes they can, yes I will still carry and talk. Go for it
    I'm sure the head of Corp does not want to be in court right now!
    Not if he values his money and company!!!! Get the ACLU and NRA
    behind you, then they will thnk straight! Besides you
    getting paid if they think wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    are you employed by the government? 1st amendment only applies to the government. A private employer does not owe you any 1st amendment protections.

That's ok I'll sue them anyway how they going to like that??? I'm
    sure there's an attorney just wAiting to get some spotlight. Our
    constitution protects the Americans !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edge289 View Post
    That's ok I'll sue them anyway how they going to like that??? I'm
    sure there's an attorney just wAiting to get some spotlight. Our
    constitution protects the Americans !!!!
    An attorney who wants the spotlight of having a case dismissed on a motion for summary judgment?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    An attorney who wants the spotlight of having a case dismissed on a motion for summary judgment?
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Look at the myriad of ways that the gov't at all levels has decreed that a business owner must/must not discriminate. If that business owner had told him to silence his talk about homosexual rights, do you think it would be summarily dismissed?

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Look at the myriad of ways that the gov't at all levels has decreed that a business owner must/must not discriminate. If that business owner had told him to silence his talk about homosexual rights, do you think it would be summarily dismissed?
    Yes, in a state that did not have anti-gay rights laws.

Federal law and stat laws could probably outlaw anti-gun discrimination by a business, but there are very few such laws, and those that do exists usually deal with the right to be armed rather than the right to talk about it.

I agree with PAULGUY, there are ramifications to your First Amendment Rights. It's their business, it's their rules. Don't like the Kitchen, get the heck out of it and find another. Aggressive behavior/speech, especially concerning guns, could be construed as a threat. Be careful grasshopper...............

Who is John Galt?

PaulGuy said it all. You want your job, listen to the boss. It has nothing to do with your constitutional rights. You have an obligation to your employer not to yourself. If it bothers you that much, get another job. I understand your comment and your frustration but employment is not an area where this holds up.

so if i DO NOT talk about guns at my work , i would get fired.ha ha , i work pt at cabela's.i am also allowed to open carry at my full time job.let me guess, it's probably a guy in some bad marriage & unhappy .got to take it out on someone.just like all the fat broads that complain of nudey pics in the shipping areas of work places. who cares , they r only pics. they r pissed off becuz they dont look good enuf to pose for them.good luck

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast