Keep my rights or keep my job - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep my rights or keep my job

1. Have him put it in writing.

That being said, it is possible that others around you could mistake your discussions as "threatening" and perhaps creating an unsafe work environment.

I am not saying I agree, I am just saying that's the way it is today. I think having a right also means we have a judicious responsibility how we exercise that right.

Methinks that the thread writer did not get the unanimous support he may have wanted from this forum. I think we all understand where he is coming from and can sympathize but your job is not your public rights and if you want to walk thru the door you do so under their appropriate work rules.

I second that...

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Unfortunately in today's society, political correctness rules in the workplace! It is best to keep mouth shut if you want to remain gainfully employed.
    I can back that up with my unemployment papers. I just lost my job because the combination of 3 things:
    1) I (like anyone else) have gotten angry (about whatever) at work and used profanity (like everyone else).
    2) I made the comment that I wish my former boss (from a previous job) would just DIE.
    3) It is/was known that I have a CPL and keep a handgun in my glovebox while at work.

No one had any problems with me until a promotion opened up and someone who I would be in contention for the promotion with decided that she'd go talk to human resources with concerns that I have anger issues and keep a gun nearby. With the comment about my previous boss and all, HR made the call to have me canned. I did nothing in violation of the law and the only violation of company policy was using profanity on the job, which EVERYONE does. I had never even threatened anyone verbally, let alone, physically. The comment about my ex-boss was a general "wish he'd die", NOTHING said about ME doing anything to him. Hell, I'd wished him dead for the last 8 years I worked for him, I'd hardly consider myself a threat.

Guess the moral of the story is: STFU.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
    These rights are to protect you from the government not your private employer. Your employer can decide he wants no weapons in his place even if you have a state sanctioned permit. He can fire you for calling him stupid if he wants (even if it is true) so you have no first amendment rights in that venue either. You have the right to go work elsewhere if you don't like their policies. Your rights have not been violated.
    Along the same lines > > > Is your work in any way involved with firearms? Manufacture? Sale? Marketing ...etc If not you might just be wasting your employers $$$ talking about a great subject instead or "Working". I guess this was on company time or else nothing would have been said to you.
    If you want to tweak them continue during your lunch hour. As long as it is not paid lunch time

Unless you have an employment contract, (or are protected by a union) your employment is subject to the will of the employer. You can be terminated for good reson, bad reason, or no reason at all. The exception to that rule is discrimination. You cannot be terminated discriminatorily becasue you are part of a "protected class" Restated, you cannot be terminated because of race, handicap, national origin, age, etc.

bill

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Unless you have an employment contract, (or are protected by a union) your employment is subject to the will of the employer. You can be terminated for good reson, bad reason, or no reason at all. The exception to that rule is discrimination. You cannot be terminated discriminatorily becasue you are part of a "protected class" Restated, you cannot be terminated because of race, handicap, national origin, age, etc.

bill
    I agree. This is called "at will" employment. So, you can be fired anytime, for NO reason at all.

It seems to me, however, that should the employer state that you were fired for discussing Constitutional rights in the break room, there could be an issue. Or at least, I would make it a discrimination issue. Maybe start a new protected class: Patriot. No...wait...it's already been decided that Patriot = Terrorist. Never mind.

So, back to my original premise: I don't give a rat's petoot what the law says or does not say. The question is: Do you want to work somewhere where you can't even talk about 2A rights? Not me..

No rights were violated.

You were hired to do a particular job, and I'm guessing that the discussion about government, 2A, guns, or most other things are not included in your job description.

The amendments protect you from the government, not your employer. When you are hired, you do not have the freedom to do what you want, you have the freedom to do what your boss wants you to do or else you can leave or get fired.

This type of issue has been rehashed time and time again, and every single time the law has affirmed that while under company time, the company's rules are golden.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Amazing how many US Citizens have no idea what the First Amendment actually says. It says that CONGRESS shall make no laws not the individual citizen. If you are on my property I can tell you to shut up about any subject that I want to and if you don't have you thrown off.

JSDinTexas Guest

Thanks for all these comments

I waited a while to get back in order to receive numerous responses and different takes on the issue.

I want to thank all of you for your comments. I read every one of them and did not find any that were off the wall or dumb or anything like that.

In fact, if you put them all together, they make a great deal of sense. I think the consensus is basically shut up and go to work. And in these economic times that makes a lot of sense, and that's what I am doing.

For whatever it's worth, this same boss emailed my boss today and told him I had performed well on a non-related project I finished last week - maybe he is just insane and blows hot and cold - who knows?

Again, thanks to each of you, and I will check this thread tomorrow for additional comments. You each have helped me to consider all alternatives and have actually made me feel a little better. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    The question is: Do you want to work somewhere where you can't even talk about 2A rights? Not me..
    The magnanimous, insightful, principle above all else, flavor of this type advice typically seen from some posters here loses it's luster when you're UNEMPLOYED.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast