Keep my rights or keep my job - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keep my rights or keep my job

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    The magnanimous, insightful, principle above all else, flavor of this type advice typically seen from some posters here loses it's luster when you're UNEMPLOYED.
    There are things more important than money, like honor and integrity and yes, "principle". Note that I also posted that it was each person's choice what to do in this situation...oh, yeah...add freedom to that list.

Unfortunately, if you are not self-employed you are not truly free. Nor are you truly free if you are self-employed but owe money to investors - you still have a boss.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    It seems to me, however, that should the employer state that you were fired for discussing Constitutional rights in the break room, there could be an issue. Or at least, I would make it a discrimination issue. Maybe start a new protected class: Patriot. No...wait...it's already been decided that Patriot = Terrorist. Never mind.

Last time i checked, "gun enthusiasts" were not a protected class.

Before I moved to NC, I was in teh maintenance department of a major manufacturing company back in the that frozen wasteland called Ohio. I have noticed during my years in skilled trades that people with mechanical interests are often gun enthusiasts. At this particular company, nearly all the maintenance techs were gun enthusiasts. We had our own break area and the break tables were covered with Guns and Ammo, Shotgun News, Combat Handguns, etc. We even had one tech that was a Class 3 FFL, and many gun orders were negotiated during our breaks. (And it was not uncommon for guns to change hands right there in the maintenance shop)

There are things more important than money, like....
    Feeding your family?

Feeding your family?
    You're welcome to go thru life as a serf...remember to do ALL that the man says or you might not get any potatoes and cabbage for supper. Never forget to keep your head down and your mouth shut. Oh...you can say "yes, Massah" once in a while, the man likes that.

You're welcome to go thru life as a serf...remember to do ALL that the man says or you might not get any potatoes and cabbage for supper. Never forget to keep your head down and your mouth shut. Oh...you can say "yes, Massah" once in a while, the man likes that.
    You have issues, dude.

You have issues, dude.
    Get a life, C&L. I'm baiting you...why, I don't know...just a brief respite from being EMPLOYED, I guess.

Some personal history: I'm 56 years old, have raised a familly, paid for a home, been married for 30 years, yada yada. I know all about work as I've done it since I was 10 years old. And yeah, I know what it's llike to have to keep my mouth shut to appease some idiot boss. But, it only goes so far. My Dad raised me to have dignity and self-respect and no employer is entitiled to take those from me, for ANY amount of money.

The OP opened with "keep my job or lose my rights". My response hinged on the fact he seemed rather upset (as I would have been) and my feeling is that if your job situation was gonna cause you such grief, then...I don't know...start looking for another position. I have done just that in the past.

I fully realize what an "at will" employment relationship is and in no way do I condone someone telling 'the man' where to stick it if you have the burden of supporting a family. Again, however, if the work environment is truly causing you considerable angst, then for your health and your family's sake, I think you need to find something else to do.

Ok, C&L, I can't play, anymore. Gotta go back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post

Before I moved to NC, I was in teh maintenance department of a major manufacturing company back in the that frozen wasteland called Ohio. I have noticed during my years in skilled trades that people with mechanical interests are often gun enthusiasts. At this particular company, nearly all the maintenance techs were gun enthusiasts. We had our own break area and the break tables were covered with Guns and Ammo, Shotgun News, Combat Handguns, etc. We even had one tech that was a Class 3 FFL, and many gun orders were negotiated during our breaks. (And it was not uncommon for guns to change hands right there in the maintenance shop)
    Must have been nice!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Get a life, C&L. I'm baiting you...why, I don't know...just a brief respite from being EMPLOYED, I guess.
    Well then, thanks for all that un-helpful information!

I believe the point most of the serious posters made very clear was that the issue should probably not be viewed from a rights vs. employment perspective:
    Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Should probably think about not linking those those 2 concepts...

I think although it's annoying, your rights were not violated. You have all the time in the world to discuss guns on YOUR dime, but if I was the employer, I may say, " everybody shut up and get back to work, You're on MY DIME now! You wanna talk about somethin' besides work - find another job!" I think employers have enough to do without on the job bickering and personal opinions, he's concerned about everyone working and the bottom dollar. Wouldn't be any different if employees wasted time BSing about basketball - it's not work!
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast