Keep my rights or keep my job
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep my rights or keep my job

JSDinTexas Guest

Keep my rights or keep my job

My boss told me Friday to stop discussing guns at work because it was making "someone uncomfortable." This violated my 1st and 14th amendment rights. My only choice, however, was to give up my rights or give up my job.

My response was to tell him that while my 1st amendment rights had been violated, he or his boss would not violate my 2nd amendment rights - I left him to think about that one.

I find it's best to discuss gun issues outside of your place of employment, especially if you are carrying against company policy.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I find it's best to discuss gun issues outside of your place of employment, especially if you are carrying against company policy.
    Legal to carry on the job, but I don't - the discussions were very general too, with no particular "hot" topics included. Just is upsetting that someone went crying to mama instead of coming to me and discussing it as an adult.

Funny how it is if a conservative offends a liberal or progressive (same thing) the conservative must stop what they are doing. But if you are a liberal or progressive and offend a conservative it's ok to keep offending.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Unfortunately in today's society, political correctness rules in the workplace! It is best to keep mouth shut if you want to remain gainfully employed.

I hope you got your employer to put that request in writing

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Grunt View Post
    I hope you got your employer to put that request in writing
    I considered getting it in writing. But I guess it boils down to keep your mouth shut and keep your job, or push the issue and see how it shakes out. So - want a paycheck or want to go through a couple of years of litigation.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    I considered getting it in writing. But I guess it boils down to keep your mouth shut and keep your job, or push the issue and see how it shakes out. So - want a paycheck or want to go through a couple of years of litigation.
    With all respect, no amount of dollars would suffice to take away any of my Constitutional rights. And I have left jobs over just such issues. Now, that's just me and I put no onus on anyone else's decision; that's called freedom.

Pick up a couple "Citizens Rule Books" and quietly hand them to the boss.....
    Semper Fi

11. These rights are to protect you from the government not your private employer. Your employer can decide he wants no weapons in his place even if you have a state sanctioned permit. He can fire you for calling him stupid if he wants (even if it is true) so you have no first amendment rights in that venue either. You have the right to go work elsewhere if you don't like their policies. Your rights have not been violated.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast