Enough about "Gun Rights" already! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enough about "Gun Rights" already!

Quote Originally Posted by HardCorps53 View Post
    I agree with the spirit and intent of this very compelling argument. However, since we are discussing semantics, gun-owners rights is too restrictive. Do these rights not apply to someone who does not currently own a gun? Do they not apply to past and future owners? For simplicity sake, I prefer Second Amendment or Constituional rights, which apply to all citizens (barring criminal/mental histories).
    That's less accurate because our right to arms pre-dates the Constitution. I prefer the "individual right to bear arms". But I think that's a lot of words for your average journalist to learn to spell.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    That's less accurate because our right to arms pre-dates the Constitution. I prefer the "individual right to bear arms". But I think that's a lot of words for your average journalist to learn to spell.
    LOL, Avidshooter. Another phrase that really irks me is: "Guns kill". Guns DO NOT kill. The criminals kill! DH and I are members of the VCDL (Virginia Citizens' Defense League) and their motto is: "Guns save lives".

If criminals didn't have access to guns, they'd find another weapon (i.e. baseball bats, knives, cars, rocks, hammers...you name it). Anything heavy and/or pointed can be used to commit murder. All of those possible murder weapons are just items. Items do NOT have a will or desire to do harm. Guns DO NOT kill!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

You can see how the media uses semantics to change perception.

According to the MSM, A person can't walk into a restaurant with a concealed weapon holstered on their person. What they can do, however, is 'swagger into a bar brandishing a hidden gun strapped to their hip."

Apparently you cant walk with a gun, you have to 'swagger' How you can hide something and brandish it at the same time puzzles me, and it's a belt, not a strap.

The media is now very careful to make things sound more evil. It used to be just a gun. Now it's a semi-automatic assault weapon. (Which, of course, is another misnomer, but they don't care.)

The Eggman, DmAt, MSI
    GSSF, GOA, NRA, VCDL, VSSF, AFIO
    www.the-eggman.com
    "If you can't be free, at least be irritating."

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionOne View Post
    I totally agree. I'm generally a grammatical nit-picker anyhow, at least with my own writing. At times it can be a somewhat negative personality trait, but I was taught to take my time and express my thoughts as clearly and as logically as possible. I want to be as accurate as I can, to avoid misunderstanding and confusion.

What you've pointed out above is a small change which makes a large difference to the overall meaning, and I would say it more accurately conveys how most gun-carrying people I know feel about the matter: we are being attacked, our rights are being eroded. The guns are just tools, and as such have no inherent rights or privileges which can be attacked.
    Ditto! As accurate as I try to be, when it comes to my writing, I have certainly been guilty of grammatical laziness, due to my passion on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEggman View Post
    You can see how the media uses semantics to change perception.

According to the MSM, A person can't walk into a restaurant with a concealed weapon holstered on their person. What they can do, however, is 'swagger into a bar brandishing a hidden gun strapped to their hip."

Apparently you cant walk with a gun, you have to 'swagger' How you can hide something and brandish it at the same time puzzles me, and it's a belt, not a strap.

The media is now very careful to make things sound more evil. It used to be just a gun. Now it's a semi-automatic assault weapon. (Which, of course, is another misnomer, but they don't care.)

Yes, have you also noticed that a home becomes a compound if it belongs to someone they don't lik? That always made me wonder about the "Kennedy compound". I guess the media has a love/hate relationship with the Kennedys.
    And who besides me is sick of "at the end of the day...". You know what happens at the end of the day? The day ends.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

And a .45ACP in the same room with an AR becomes 'a cache of military style weapons.'
    The Eggman, DmAt, MSI
    GSSF, GOA, NRA, VCDL, VSSF, AFIO
    www.the-eggman.com
    "If you can't be free, at least be irritating."

Ahhh. I think I like this guy...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    LOL, Avidshooter. Another phrase that really irks me is: "Guns kill". Guns DO NOT kill. The criminals kill! DH and I are members of the VCDL (Virginia Citizens' Defense League) and their motto is: "Guns save lives".

If criminals didn't have access to guns, they'd find another weapon (i.e. baseball bats, knives, cars, rocks, hammers...you name it). Anything heavy and/or pointed can be used to commit murder. All of those possible murder weapons are just items. Items do NOT have a will or desire to do harm. Guns DO NOT kill!
    Well... To get really nit picky. Guns don't kill people, the bullets do. So how about bullet control laws? You know make 'em softer at the tip and thinner so they don't make such big holes and all that.

Sorry had to go there. How Ya'll been Wife & Mom?

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Well... To get really nit picky. Guns don't kill people, the bullets do. So how about bullet control laws? You know make 'em softer at the tip and thinner so they don't make such big holes and all that.

Sorry had to go there. How Ya'll been Wife & Mom?

Peace...
    Feeling better, now that I'm back with my USACarry "buddies", 6shooter.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEggman View Post
    I am constantly reading on the Net and in the media about so-called “gun rights and gun control.”

Some examples;
    “The final briefs seeking to shape the Supreme Court’s coming decision on the reach of the Second Amendment’s protection of gun rights suggested Friday that states might be free to violate other parts of the Bill of Rights…”
    “The National Association for Gun Rights, often referred to as "NAGR", was founded to assist the growing movement of pro-Second Amendment organizations, especially state-level gun rights groups.

“The National Rifle Association is the largest gun rights lobbying organization in the United States.”

On one hand, we preach that guns are mere machines, inanimate objects and tools. On the other, we appear to be attempting to give ‘rights’ to these inanimate machines.
    I submit to you a request; that we remove the phrase gun rights” from our vocabulary and replace it with the more human, and more accurate, gun-owner rights.”

The First Amendment does not guarantee rights to printing presses as machines; it guarantees the rights of people to use printing presses, radios, televisions and the Internet without restriction.

The Second Amendment guarantees no rights to guns themselves, as they are mere machines. However, it does guarantee the right of the people to keep and bear them.

The psychology behind what may appear as a minor ‘grammatical nit’ should be clear.

It is relatively easy for most people to hate an object. You can make up lies about an object, demonize an object and attempt to regulate and control objects. You can do so without fear of insulting the object, hurting its feelings, being sued by the object or facing any repercussions, it’s just a defenseless, soulless object.

When we replace gun rights with gun-owner rights, however, the issue becomes personal. Where many people and politicians [as opposed to people] find it easy and guilt-free to demonize guns as objects, it is far more difficult to for them to demonize a large segment of the population, gun-owners, as people.

Laws can not control inanimate objects, only what law-abiding persons do with those objects. Therefore, it's technically not gun control, or a war against guns, it's gun owner control, and a war against gun owners.

So let us end this futile battle for so-called, non-existent gun rights and gun control, and renew the charge in support of the very real and very important rights of the people who own defensive and recreational firearms.

It may seem like a grammatical nit, but impressions are everything.

That’s my opinion, and you’re welcome to it!

Egg
    Or how about Self-Preservation Rights, to defend yourself using equal or greater force, than may be brought against you anyplace, anytime, open or concealed against all enemies foreign or domestic, including but not limited to the tyranny of our own government?

Are ARM can be a baseball bat, nunchackus or a firearm or a rock...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast