Can 36 States stay strong..?

Thread: Can 36 States stay strong..?

Can 36 States stay strong..?

I read today that 36 States have legislation in the making to allow their citizens to opt-out of Obamacare. I can proudly say that my adopted State of Virginia was the 1st to actually pass it into law on 3/6/2010.

Silver bullet from U.S. states kills 'mandatory' Obamacare

However, can these States stay strong in trying to exercise their individual sovereignty? I'm afraid that once the Federal government threatens to withhold funding for highways, schools, etc., the resolve of the States will evaporate.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Why don't we tell the Federal government to keep their money and we will keep our money we pay in extortion fees (federal Income Tax)
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    I read today that 30+ States have legislation in the making to allow their citizens to opt-out of Obamacare. I can proudly say that my adopted State of Virginia was the 1st to actually pass it into law on 3/6/2010.

However, can these States stay strong in trying to exercise their individual sovereignty? I'm afraid that once the Federal government threatens to withhold funding for highways, schools, etc., the resolve of the States will evaporate.
    I, too, have also thought that this is where the real fight might begin. And too, have the same question you do: will the states capitulate if the feds threaten to withhold funding? I'm assuming the various state legilatures realized this when they passed "sovereignty" resolutions, but they still could turn out to be paper tigers, I guess. We'll see...

Pretty much everything done on the Federal Level is a joke. What makes health care any different? Rather than meddling in the business of individual states, the Feds' should concentrate on their own business like reducing the national debt, and restoring the rights of the people.

BTW, welcome back CW&M! Missed your postings.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Why don't we tell the Federal government to keep their money and we will keep our money we pay in extortion fees (federal Income Tax)
    I teach a class in finance at the local "U" and I tell the kids that the IRS takes money by force. Their first reaction is...whaaat??...And then I say, just don't pay your taxes and see what happens.

And then I enlighten them with first-hand stories of clients I have had who owed the feds money and the feds just swooped in unannounced and took the money from their bank accounts. THAT gets their attention...

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I teach a class in finance at the local "U" and I tell the kids that the IRS takes money by force. Their first reaction is...whaaat??...And then I say, just don't pay your taxes and see what happens.

And then I enlighten them with first-hand stories of clients I have had who owed the feds money and the feds just swooped in unannounced and took the money from their bank accounts. THAT gets their attention...
    Exactly. That bull about "voluntary income tax" cracks me up. It is voluntary all right. Voluntary at the end of a gun.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Pretty much everything done on the Federal Level is a joke. What makes health care any different? Rather than meddling in the business of individual states, the Feds' should concentrate on their own business like reducing the national debt, and restoring the rights of the people.

BTW, welcome back CW&M! Missed your postings.

gf
    Thank you for the "welcome back", Glock Fan. It's good to "see you" again.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

The states should arrest the members of congress when they come home on recess and charge them all with bribery for accepting campaign donations from corporations in return for passing certain legislation. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to follow the money and connect the dots.
    Campaigns should only be financed by individual contributions from constituents, which means those qualified to vote for the representative (congressional district for congressmen - state for senators).
    We shouldn't have folks in CA or NY influencing elections in TX and vice versa.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

You know what will happen if they pass Obamacare. It doesn't matter what the states have on the books when it goes into effect. They will just add an amendment to something that will withhold all federal funding to states that resist. Those holding out will fall like domino's! Our only hope is for it's defeat! I'm still proud that SC is one of the states trying to take a stand!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    ...They will just add an amendment to something that will withhold all federal funding to states that resist...
    In addition to that, once the whole system is in full effect, it will end up being cost prohibitive to do anything other than enroll in the government program.

You're right, it absolutely MUST be defeated.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson