• $1500

2 2.78%
  • $2000

4 5.56%
  • $5000

2 2.78%
  • $10000

0 0%
  • $Whatever it takes I'lltake out a second mortgage.

1 1.39%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for Valid LEO credentials (issued to you)?

1. Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Should this be attempted, I'd be amazed if it did not lead to outcry, controversy, and a new spate of regulations. Note that I think further regulations on police and their 'special' status is not a bad idea.
    The only way the feds could stop this from happening would be through an act of Congress. That would be monumentally difficult, especially for blue-dog Democrats who represent jurisdictions that are very pro-gun rights. They would also have a hard time explaining why LEOs from LAPD or NYPD would be coverred by HR218 while a sheriff from Middletown USA would not be. Don't forget that gun control is not a very popular issue amongst the Democrats these days. This is an election year and they certainly have NOT forgotten 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    What we need is a government, at all levels, that obeys the Constitution and recognizes the rights of the citizens. The Second Amendment is not an exception.
    You and I are in total agreement. There is a chance that what we're working for here with this proposal could make it easier to achieve national CCW reciprocity. That would be ideal and maybe that will happen some time after the Supreme Court resolves McDonald v Chicago and incorporates the 2nd Amendment against the state and local goverments. But until then, we try to do the best we can with the hand we're dealt.

There are a few flaws with the idea of "purchasing" credentials to carry under the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA, 18 USC 926 (b)(c)). First, the law requires that the individual be either an active or qualified retired law enforcement agent. The definition within requires that 1) the individual is employed by a government agency (not a subcontracted security company); 2) the individual carries active duty identification, or retired identification plus certification that the individual has qualified at the range within the last year; 3) the individual is or was authorized to carry a firearm; and 4) the individual has (if active) or had (if retired after 15 years) statutory powers of arrest.

The latter is not to be confused with common law power of arrest; the individual has to be authorized through a previously existing legislative act to arrest individuals in order to be covered under this law. Bounty hunters and security agents are not covered under this law, and neither are any other civilians. In fact, some county sheriffs in at least one state discovered that the LEOSA did not cover them, because their powers of arrest were strictly common law and not statutory.

On another not, LEOSA does not allow you to carry anywhere. It does not cover commercial airlines (for that you need to FAA approval). It also does not exempt anyone from any federal laws that existed before it; it only protects you from state laws. So, no carrying in government buildings, courthouses, or even within a school zone.

I am a fugitive recovery agent and the United States Supreme Court ruling Taylor v Taintor states the following....." the bearer is a Fugitive Recovery Agent acting in accordance with the decision of the United States Supreme Court ( Taylor vs Taintor,16 Wall, 366.) She/he is granted all authorities allowed her/him by law. A private citizen (Agent), when legally bonded, may pursue a fugitive into another state, may arrest him/her on the Sabbath Day, and if necessary, may break and enter into his/her house for that purpose. The seizure is not made by new process, none is needed, It is likened to the rearrest by the sheriff of an escaping prisoner. No person may interfere with the lawful holder of an ID or Badge if he/she possesses valid documents, and complies with appropriate local, state, and federal regulations."

So even though it is a bit of a slippery slope we do have a some weight behind us in the performance of our duties, in fact in my interactions with LE I have been treated awesome, one raid I was on the police actually backed up my team, we had a meeting at the department and we laid out our entrance strategies, the local PD told us, just tell us where you want us and lets go get this guy. I have a lot of great working relationships with LE and I get a lot of respect from them, I have a badge and company credentials, not once have I ever been given any headaches for it.

5. How much would you pay the lawyer to get your silly ass off the resulting charges?

What charges might that be??? I always without fail notify the local agency whose jursidiction I am entering...not just to let them know I am there but to ask for their assistance...its called CYA, with the PD's involvement it protects me and my teams from liability because LE backs us up and supports us. that is the difference between the good Fugitive recovery agents and the wanna be's, I foster good relationships with LE because I need their support and resources, what gets me are the lone gunmen and cowboys who have no business doing this job.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mibountyhuntress View Post
    What charges might that be??? I always without fail notify the local agency whose jursidiction I am entering...not just to let them know I am there but to ask for their assistance...its called CYA, with the PD's involvement it protects me and my teams from liability because LE backs us up and supports us. that is the difference between the good Fugitive recovery agents and the wanna be's, I foster good relationships with LE because I need their support and resources, what gets me are the lone gunmen and cowboys who have no business doing this job.
    No you per se, but the wanna be who bought some police credentials on the internet.
    Maybe they can go here and buy their passport also to go with their 5-0 credentials.
    http://www.worldgovernment.org/docpass.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mibountyhuntress View Post

Sounds like you're talking about a certain yahoo who sports a mullet and is on a television "reality" show.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

lol no kidding hmmmm wonder who that might be??

I have no patience for this. The whole concept is stupid to me. Just my $.02!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Dewhitewolf View Post
    There are a few flaws with the idea of "purchasing" credentials to carry under the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA, 18 USC 926 (b)(c)). First, the law requires that the individual be either an active or qualified retired law enforcement agent. The definition within requires that 1) the individual is employed by a government agency (not a subcontracted security company);
    Right. If a person is under contract with a city to provide law enforcement services, why would a court have a problem as long as you meet requirements under that city's and state's laws? The training in question isn't what designates one a LEO. Officially deputizing/granting them the relevant fraction of the powers of their government does.

2) the individual carries active duty identification, or retired identification plus certification that the individual has qualified at the range within the last year; 3) the individual is or was authorized to carry a firearm; and 4) the individual has (if active) or had (if retired after 15 years) statutory powers of arrest.
    As previously mentioned, a valid I.D. card issued by the agency is enough to satisfy those requirements.

The latter is not to be confused with common law power of arrest; the individual has to be authorized through a previously existing legislative act to arrest individuals in order to be covered under this law. Bounty hunters and security agents are not covered under this law, and neither are any other civilians. In fact, some county sheriffs in at least one state discovered that the LEOSA did not cover them, because their powers of arrest were strictly common law and not statutory.
    Can you provide a court case or some other link relating to the county seriffs you're talking about? I would really like to look into that further. Thanks.

On another not, LEOSA does not allow you to carry anywhere. It does not cover commercial airlines (for that you need to FAA approval). It also does not exempt anyone from any federal laws that existed before it; it only protects you from state laws. So, no carrying in government buildings, courthouses, or even within a school zone.
    This isn't about serving as a LEO, arresting people, flashing badges, playing pretend, etc. It's about following the existing framework, under federal law, to gain a CCW where many of us are otherwise unable to (CA, NJ, NY, etc...).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast