• $1500

2 2.78%
  • $2000

4 5.56%
  • $5000

2 2.78%
  • $10000

0 0%
  • $Whatever it takes I'lltake out a second mortgage.

1 1.39%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How much would you pay for Valid LEO credentials (issued to you)?

Another spin on things

Found this on Officer.com:

Police agencies that do not carry firearm on duty - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

I recently heard about some southern california college and school district police agencies who do not carry firearm on duty. There are fully sworn and are allowed to carry off-duty. Seemed a little shocking.
    With the current state of the economy, I'm sure that there's some school out there that wouldn't mind "hiring" a few additional "reserve" officers who are willing to pay an annual background check fee.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

3. you are forgetting the tiem on the job requirements and mustactively work for any agency with full arrest powers this sounds like a fool hardy scam

To qualify as an active police officer under LEOSA you must be employed by a governmental agency, have full arrest powers, meet the training requirements, if any, of the jurisdiction, and have the authority by law to carry a firearm. Pay is not necessarily a function of employment. Therefore, gratis employees, i.e. volunteers/reserves/auxillaries who meet this definition are considered employees. If I remember correctly, to have full, 24/7 powers of arrest in California, you must have been commissioned by the agency and POST certified as an LE I officer. Check California POST for actual requirements. So, this would leave out honorary reserves from qualifying under LEOSA. I am a volunteer officer in SC and we must pay for training, uniforms, equipment, etc. In my case, I am commissioned by the Governor, regulated by the State Law Enforcement Division, basic training at a Tech School under Academy approved instructors and curriculum, Arson training at the academy, and after 250 hourse of field traing with a FTO LE I went through Advanced training, etc. Tests were administered by and at the academy. I must have annual inservice training, complete a minimum of 240 hours of duty time, and provide quarterly reports to the Division. I believe California is more stringent.

The following are the levels Reserve Officer Certification in California. I believe Level I is the only one that carries full 24/7 arrest powers.

"Requirements for
    Reserve Police Officers in California:

Level I Reserve ~ Can work without immediate supervision

Completion of the POST Regular Basic Course (664 hours minimum) or the Modular format for Level III, II, and I reserve training (730 hours minimum).
    First Aid and CPR certification (within the last 3 years)
    Succesful completion of a Field Training Program (400 hours minimum).
    Continuing Professional Training (24 hours min. every 2 years)

Level II Reserve ~ Requires immediate supervision

Completion of the Level III Basic Academy Module and 832 course (162 hours minimum) and completion of the Level II Module (228 hours minimum)
    First Aid and CPR certification (within the last 3 years)
    Continuing Professional Training (24 hours min. every 2 years)

Level III Reserve ~ Requires no suspect contact

Completion of the Level III Basic Academy Module and 832 course. The Level III Module is comprised of two parts: An 832 Arrest and Firearms Course (64 hours minimum) and the Level III Course (98 hours minimum)."

I was told it cost about $1800. in NC to go to school to become a LEO. if you are able to pass the 6 month course.

For me, it was $50.00 for application fee (every 4 years), $10.00 fingerprint fee, $400.00 Basic training fee, $75.00 annual inservice fee, then purchase of uniforms, leather goods, badges, radio, handcuffs, etc. Probably $3000 first year. Then added additional equipment and upgrades over the years. Probably averages $700.00 per year. Plus I average almost 400 hours of duty time per year. I have a 240 hour per year minimum.

Cool LEO Safety Act

stag1500: You cited the Law Enforcement Safety Act saying that a person could be a legal law enforcement officer: "a law enforcement officer meansAN EMPLOYEEof a government agency... This would not constitute being a commissioned law enforcement officer since the person would not be an employee of a government agency. This is just what some WANNABES would love to have and would probably lead to more trouble than it's worth. My last official ID had POLICE stamped on it in big red letters and I had a badge but I was not a commissioned police officer and didn't get carried away by it. I never used it when carrying my weapon, just my permit like everyone else. It is sometimes hard enough to tell the good guys from the bad guys so why complicate matters even further?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345