Secure the Blessings of Liberty

Thread: Secure the Blessings of Liberty

Secure the Blessings of Liberty

The preamble to the constitution contains these lofty goals: "...establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity...". Seems to me both major parties have completely forgotten about that last one - secure the blessings of liberty. The Republicans are all about law and order and protecting us so they're big on the domestic tranquility and providing common defense. The Dems are all about establishing justice (or what they consider justtice to be) and promoting the general welfare. But neither of them gives a damn about securing the blessings of liberty, which to me ought to be right up there with the rest. We need to do all those other things to the least degree possible in order to keep liberty secure. Our posterity will not be free if they are encumbered by this enormous debt we are heaping upon them. Cutting corners on liberty with things like the Patriot Act or forcing healthcare insurance on us does nothing to secure our liberty. It makes us subjects, not citizens.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    The preamble to the constitution contains these lofty goals: "...establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity...". Seems to me both major parties have completely forgotten about that last one - secure the blessings of liberty. The Republicans are all about law and order and protecting us so they're big on the domestic tranquility and providing common defense. The Dems are all about establishing justice (or what they consider justtice to be) and promoting the general welfare. But neither of them gives a damn about securing the blessings of liberty, which to me ought to be right up there with the rest. We need to do all those other things to the least degree possible in order to keep liberty secure. Our posterity will not be free if they are encumbered by this enormous debt we are heaping upon them. Cutting corners on liberty with things like the Patriot Act or forcing healthcare insurance on us does nothing to secure our liberty. It makes us subjects, not citizens.
    Well said.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"