Leadership by example; Obama's census-form choice: 'Black'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leadership by example; Obama's census-form choice: 'Black'

Leadership by example; Obama's census-form choice: 'Black'

Does this mean that he gets to pay a fine for providing false information on the census form? Being that it's only "half true", what gives???

gf

Obama's census-form choice: 'Black'
    The president keeps it simple, but his decision stirs discussion about identity among mixed-race Americans.

By Oscar Avila

April 3, 2010 | 4:38 p.m.

An individual's responses to census questions are confidential, but one of President Obama's answers on the 10-question form adds more fodder to the ongoing conversation about how America sees itself.

After media inquiries, the White House confirmed that Obama checked only the racial box that says: "Black, African Am., or Negro," the Associated Press reported.

Obama could have checked more than one racial box, given that his father was an African from Kenya and his mother was a white woman from Kansas. He could have checked "white" as well, or even "some other race" and written in "multiracial."

Obama's internal struggle over his racial identity was a theme in his memoir, "Dreams from My Father." But it is a struggle faced by other Americans, and it is an element in the country's efforts to come to terms with race relations.

The news quickly made the rounds among not only political commentators but citizens with mixed racial ancestry. Some second-guessed Obama's choice while others said there are no right or wrong answers to that question.

Michelle Hughes, president of the Chicago Biracial Family Network, said she received several e-mails from surprised friends within moments of Obama's decision being made public.

"I think everybody is entitled to self-identify. If he chooses to self-identify as African American, that's his right," she said. "That being said, I think that the multiracial community feels a sense of disappointment that he refuses to identify with us.

"I think his choice will have political, social and cultural ramifications."

Rich Benjamin, the African American author of the book "Searching for Whitopia," chimed in by e-mail to say that Obama's public choice is a vivid example of America's complicated racial dynamics.

"Given our growing racial diversity and intermixed populations, led by a mutt-style President, why bother to consider race at all? Isn't race an anachronism? Not at all," wrote Benjamin, a senior fellow at Demos, a New York think tank.

"Taking our human inventory, including race, allows us to uncover incredibly useful lessons about ourselves as a country."

[email protected]
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

His census form is about as legit as his birth certificate.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I think we should have a don't ask don't tell policy on gender, race, ethnicity, sexual preference you name it - we should all be judged by the content of our character. But then we'd have no leaders.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE HELL HAS RACE GOT TO DO WITH COUNTING PEOPLE FOR THE SAKE OF REPRESENTATION IN CONGRESS AND RECEIVING FEDERAL MONIES THAT WERE STOLEN FROM THE STATES IN THE FIRST PLACE?
    I HEREBY DECLARE TO THIS FORUM THAT I WAS BORN AND BRED AND AM A NATIVE OF THIS COUNTRY AND I AM AN AMERICAN. THERE ARE MANY DEFINITIONS OF NATIVE---MY FAVORITE IS" BELONGING TO A PEOPLE REGARDED AS NATIVES (ESP NONWHITES)". Especially nonwhites does not mean exclusive of nonwhites. I took umbragce with the use of the term white in that it polarizes races and is not in keeping with our esteemed leader's idea of kumbaya---thusly I am a proud NATIVE AMERICAN CITIZEN.

My whole point about bringing this up wasn't the fact that he declared himself black, white, etc. My point was that there are confirmed news reports that show Mr. obama clearly omitting information on the census form.

One could argue since Mr. obama omitted info and wasn't harassed or prosecuted by the government, then it must be ok for the rest of America to make omissions as they see fit.

I'm a firm believer in the U.S. Constitution and as far as I understand it, all the census is supposed to do is count the number of residents in a given area. The Constitution makes no mention of race, national origin, income, religion, etc. I got a very long form (50 questions or so). I didn't feel comfortable filling out many of them.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

This also clearly shows that those who designed the census form are not interested in accurate information. If they were they would ask for your complete geneology as far back as you know it. Neat little classifications like white, black, asian, etc. no longer apply. The only thing that really matters is US citizen or not and they didn't ask that, did they?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Barry can talk "black"(ebonics) when it is necessary.

I am sure the completion of Barry's census form was the topic of at least one staff meeting. Barry needs the black vote to get re-elected.

Barry is no dummy. Harvard law degree. Chicago politician. Staff of 100's

I think it is a shame that he has chosen to ignore his mother who raised him without any help from the father that he must admire so much. The father that he only saw once from the time he was 3 years old. The father that had children by four different wives deciding to toss them aside when he no longer needed them other than for a baby factory. He selected to choose the race of a man who he never knew brushing aside the woman who cared for him all those years. Yes in the same way he will brush aside the people who elected him to office when he decides that they no longer fit his personal plans.

Barry has some psychological problems, I'm sure.
    Avidshooter (Texas)

Hey AvidTX: Some psychological problems? That is an understatement. I'm sure if you ask him who is god, he will tell you it is him. Every other word out of his mouth is "I". The way he and his cronies rammed stuff down our throats speaks of bribery, corruption, and downright sleaze---his politics is communist, his religion is moslem, his intention is anarchy. He can easily become the first dictator this country has ever seen and Nov is the test. If elections do not happen or are ignored because his majorities are gone, he will indeed have shown what he is and what is full intentions are. My hope is that he hasn't brought this country to its literal knees before then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast