Should Government Regulate What Americans Eat? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Should government regulate what Americans eat?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It may reduce blood pressure & heart disease -- and, maybe, health insurance costs.

3 3.23%
  • No. What's next? No desserts or fried foods? Stop regulating my life!

88 94.62%
  • Not sure. It might make us healthier, will it make us happier?

2 2.15%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Should Government Regulate What Americans Eat?

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Your gun and bullets are a potential health hazard!
    Unfortunately there is nothing "potential" about healthcare costs. They are real and staggering. You can ignore the problem and eat all the unhealthy food you like. But the government will at least see that procesed and packaged food is labelled and processed in a healthier manner so those of us who wish to avoid an untimely death from self-poisoned sloth have a better chance to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Unfortunately there is nothing "potential" about healthcare costs. They are real and staggering. You can ignore the problem and eat all the unhealthy food you like. But the government will at least see that procesed and packaged food is labelled and processed in a healthier manner so those of us who wish to avoid an untimely death from self-poisoned sloth have a better chance to do so.
    I believe we are, or were talking about unnecessary health care costs. Therefore like your guns and bullets,"potential". Don't want to get into a medical discussion but there plenty of fat people with lower cholesterol then some thin people. The point of my post is I don't want the Government directly involved with what I can eat. Just like I don't want them to say they are not responsible for my safety but that I can't defend myself with a firearm.
    I am in agreement with the FDA making the companies print ingredients and amounts. They can do all the PS announcements making us aware of the pitfalls. At that point then the free market will take over and companies will produce items with less of the stuff that had been deemed unhealthy according to the customers demand. Government OUT! Not more!

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Well then, Half-Cocked, I'm assuming you will be developing personal fitness plans for each one of us? To hold your health-care costs down, of course.

Removed to help keep things clean and on the up and up with permission from the author.
    I can see the tax penalties for failing to meet or exceed the recommended weight loss numbers per mandated quarterly goal set by the local state controlled weight station... not sure how to feel about it...

I chose to delete then reword a post that I added to a thread on this site. Not under duress, just took another look at it and decided it was distasteful. So I'll keep my composure and refrain from being classless and thoughtless, however I will make it a point to add the following;

Join the sheep and enjoy the grass provided by direction of the shepherd. When the shepherd begins to lead you away from the good grass for your own benefit and you object recall that you chose to be with the sheep and relinquished that control.

Allowing any regulation of personal choice, will bring another choice under regulation. And this is the main concern with regard to government regulation of health care. I do believe that all Americans deserve health care coverage. What I don't want is my way of life be it bad, good, or indifferent, being regulated or mandated by financial penalty. We have that here in MA and it's worked so well.. NO... STOP THREAT!!!

http://www.pioneerinstitute.org/pdf/...port_card1.pdf

http://www.pioneerinstitute.org/pdf/...port_card4.pdf

The access was increased, but the costs... Well that metric was removed from the above report.. It seems there is no real way to measure it. Hummm...

The truth about Massachusetts health care reform - Tim Murphy - POLITICO.com

Many other reports and opinions out there some positive and some negative, but the cost has become an issue and with the economic times being what they are, well I need all the pennies I can save. So at what cost to make the system work? Not an easy question to answer.

Back to the topic of discussion. Should I or any other free American fall in line and allow any arm of the federal or state government to regulate, mandate, or control how and what I eat? My answer: NO...

I live by gift of "God", his choice. Death is a constant, not a variable. How, when, and where are variables. Some my choice, others beyond my control... Enjoy the freedom and the choices as they are yours...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I can see the tax penalties for failing to meet or exceed the recommended weight loss numbers per mandated quarterly goal set by the local state controlled weight station... not sure how to feel about it...

I chose to delete then reword a post that I added to a thread on this site. Not under duress, just took another look at it and decided it was distasteful. So I'll keep my composure and refrain from being classless and thoughtless, however I will make it a point to add the following;

Join the sheep and enjoy the grass provided by direction of the shepherd. When the shepherd begins to lead you away from the good grass for your own benefit and you object recall that you chose to be with the sheep and relinquished that control.

Allowing any regulation of personal choice, will bring another choice under regulation. And this is the main concern with regard to government regulation of health care. I do believe that all Americans deserve health care coverage. What I don't want is my way of life be it bad, good, or indifferent, being regulated or mandated by financial penalty. We have that here in MA and it's worked so well.. NO... STOP THREAT!!!

http://www.pioneerinstitute.org/pdf/...port_card1.pdf

http://www.pioneerinstitute.org/pdf/...port_card4.pdf

The access was increased, but the costs... Well that metric was removed from the above report.. It seems there is no real way to measure it. Hummm...

The truth about Massachusetts health care reform - Tim Murphy - POLITICO.com

Many other reports and opinions out there some positive and some negative, but the cost has become an issue and with the economic times being what they are, well I need all the pennies I can save. So at what cost to make the system work? Not an easy question to answer.

Back to the topic of discussion. Should I or any other free American fall in line and allow any arm of the federal or state government regulate or control how I eat? My answer NO...

I live by gift of "God", his choice. Death is a constant, not a variable. How, when, and where are variables. Some my choice, others beyond my control... Enjoy the freedom and the choices they are yours...

Peace...
    Just so ya know, I deleted the "shove it where the sun don't shine" comment as I was chastised by site admin for not being "civil".
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Just so ya know, I deleted the "shove it where the sun don't shine" comment as I was chastised by site admin for not being "civil".
    Fixed...

XOXOXOX

Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    The point of my post is I don't want the Government directly involved with what I can eat.
    And your fear is unfounded. They (gubmint) do not and will not have any direct involvement or control over what you eat. Simply non-sequitir. You can and always will be able to eat whatever you want.

Where do you get the idea the government is trying to control what you eat? Oh nevermind, I see it now. It is the typical FUD title of this thread, which the true believers in anti-government anything quickly follow along in lock step. The government is not trying to regulate what you eat. They are trying to regulate the sodium used in processed food. You can eat whatever you want. The food companies are the ones really trying to fool you and control you into eating their garbage, getting you hooked on it with loads of salt, sugar, and MSG, etc.

Hey, whatever turns your crank, dude.

And your fear is unfounded. They (gubmint) do not and will not have any direct involvement or control over what you eat. Simply non-sequitir. You can and always will be able to eat whatever you want.

Where do you get the idea the government is trying to control what you eat? Oh nevermind, I see it now. It is the typical FUD title of this thread, which the true believers in anti-goverment anything quickly follow along in lock step. The government is not trying to regulate what you eat. They are trying to regulate the sodium used in processed food. You can eat whatever you want. The food companies are the ones really trying to fool you and control you into eating their garbage, getting you hooked on it with loads of salt, sugar, and MSG, etc.

Hey, whatever turns your crank, dude.
    And small steps become big leaps... Just a matter of time... I recall the ending of 1984 and it turns out badly for Winston...

Hence my avatar... FREEDOM!!!!!

I'll die free, my way, of my own choice perhaps..

Peace...

I'm proud to be anti-government. It's got a long tradition, all the way back to the Founders.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

read what one of the voices of your government had to say in the Sentencing of the shoe bomber. Sounds good to me:

CNN.com - Reid: 'I am at war with your country' - Jan. 31, 2003

Despite your shrill cries to the contrary, some people in govt. do get it. Some outside of govt. don't. There's two sides to every story. The real truth usually rests somewhere in between.

Only problem with this attitude is I'm tired of subsidizing your healthcare costs. When the majority of all hospital billing is for lifestyle-related ailments (heart disease, obesity, diabetes, etc.) something is wrong. If you can't control it, then maybe the gubmint needs to give you a little "helping hand?"
    It costs alot more to subsidize healthy seniors into their 90's than the 55 year old who suffers an untimely death from self-poisoned sloth. At least for now. I'm sure the new health care plan will solve the senior problem.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast